Author Topic: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today  (Read 208612 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Things I Didn't Expect to See Today
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
This morning I was stuck at a redlight in front of a drugstore. I looked at the store and noticed a rooster standing by the front door. There was also a van a few feet away, and there was a woman standing next to the van, the big sliding door was open, and she looked like she might have been talking to the rooster. So, okay, maybe it's her pet rooster and she's trying to coerce it back in the van.

This evening, we're going out to eat, and we pass by the same store. This is like 8 hours later or so. I'm telling my gf the story as we're riding by, pointing at the store, and I notice the rooster is still there. So, okay. I whip it around and we go back to look at the rooster. Only it's not just a rooster, we find out as we pull up to the store. There's 3 hens, a rooster and 4 baby chicks. People are coming and going out of the store looking at the chickens with a confused grin on their faces. This is an urban area. No farms anywhere near it. We're sitting there a few feet away, looking at the mother hen, the chicks and the rooster, and the chicks decide they want to go into the woods next to the parking lot. They strut right by in front of the car, with the mother hen following, and they disappear into the woods. It was too cute! And weird!
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

thegrue

• Trusted
  • Feck!
Re: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »
Drinking. And smoking. Outside my window. At 6 am.

I mean, usually 'round here it's just me and a book and a lamp at that time of night.

Also last night I learned--via loud hallway gossip--that a girl who lives here--or who dates a boy who lives here, I've lost track of who actually lives here anymore--is "way way way high maintenance" but that she is also "fuckin' hot, dude." The two factors seemed to balance out. Or at least amplify each other.

:crotchety

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
A mouse. Running in and out of the trunk of the car in front of me at a stop light.   :o

It was an old, beat-up car, and the mouse was running back and forth on the bumper and in and out of the trunk, looking generally frightened. It was kinda cute, in a really gross way. It made it back into the trunk when the car started moving again.

hackess

• Trusted
  • Aaaaand, we're back.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
Last night, we join one of Josh's friends at a place because he'd had to miss the birthday thing on Tuesday. Another friend showed up, a big biker kinda dude: leather Harley jacket, bandana, piercings, tattoos, etc. (If he had a full beard, he'd be a candidate for bear pr0n). Anyway. He drags Josh out to his vehicle to give him a birthday present.

A handmade candle. Candles that he and his parents make.  ???

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
Man, the way that story started I'm afraid to ask how the candle was ... uh ... delivered.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »
:galm
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:06 PM »
It was kinda cute, in a really gross way.

Definitley siggable.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
D-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.

Mr. Hate!

• Trusted
  • Gort is my copilot
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:44:13 AM »
A refund check for $260 from my home insurance company.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:53:18 AM »
Tsunami warning.

Didn't expect that. No, really.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »
Nelson agrees to minor league contract with Yankees, then retires

I went to high school with that traitorous bastard.  Christ, but I'm old.  And yet, still almost 30 years from retirement-qualified.  :stbm
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

SMJW

• Trusted
  • whoops.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
Zombie pigs genetically altered to not mind being food
The Daily Mail has an article about "farmyard freaks" -- livestock that has been genetically engineered to make them totally docile.
Factory farming techniques, most commonly used with pigs and chicken, often involve keeping animals confined in cramped conditions.
For pigs, who are highly intelligent, these conditions can lead to stress and aggression.

However, GM scientists are actively investigating ways to remove the stress and aggression gene from animals, effectively turning them into complacent zombies.

The professor said it might become technically possible to produce "animal vegetables" - beasts which are "highly prolific and oblivious to their physical and mental status".

biscuit sez:  people are fucking ignorant.  i hope the "docile" pigs start killing people.

Mr. Hate!

• Trusted
  • Gort is my copilot
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »
They also GM'd them to be 3 Laws compliant.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 01:07:16 PM »
First pigs. Then...

You can't stop the signal.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 02:34:50 PM »
However, GM scientists are actively investigating ways to remove the stress and aggression gene from animals, effectively turning them into complacent zombies.

The professor said it might become technically possible to produce "animal vegetables" - beasts which are "highly prolific and oblivious to their physical and mental status".

biscuit sez:  people are fucking ignorant.  i hope the "docile" pigs start killing people.

A-FUCKING-MEN. That's awful. I mean, I laughed at the cow in Restaurant At The End Of The Universe that wants to be eaten and all, but this does give me the shudders I have to say. Genetic alteration instead of.... giving the poor animals better living conditions. Sick.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:36:22 PM by hajen »
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface