Author Topic: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today  (Read 209000 times)

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today
« Reply #2370 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »
Done in a very regular font on the side of a building:
"The illegal we do immediately, the unconstitutional takes a little longer."
I wonder who they're quoting.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2371 on: June 16, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
Is this a government building?

You reminded me of something I saw the other day, totally unrelated. A family of ducks, walking in a row as they do, with a crow at the end of the line, hopping along. The mother duck didn't find it amusing and quickly put an end to it.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2372 on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
Pretty sure that's a Kissinger quote.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2373 on: June 16, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
It was on a private building, where LA Futon used to be.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2374 on: June 30, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
https://kittydentures.wordpress.com/dentures/

Somebody asked, and of course my wife went looking to see if there were such a thing.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2375 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
 :lol:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2376 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
Band Name!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2377 on: July 25, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
One of my coworkers came in this morning and saw a coyote about 10 feet away from the door. We see them further away sometimes, but this one was close up and disinclined to move.

We haven't found out yet why the coyotes' keycards were disabled.  ;)

amckenzie

« Reply #2378 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:38 AM »
I will be looking forward until that coyote enter your office, maybe s/he is waiting for paycheck in advance.  :lol: :rollin:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2379 on: June 22, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
SO THE OTHER DAY I was driving to work past this local park that's in an area between major roads but somewhat nestled into a forest / marsh area.  They've redeveloped it from a mown area where you could play soccer, I guess, into an impressively low-key but fancy park with a picnic gazebo and bathrooms and drinking fountains and two little league diamonds that are as high-end as you get before you have electronic scoreboards.  Looks like they're putting in a real soccer field, too, and there's a jogging path.  Nothing too fancy, but very classy.

Anyway, they leveled and grass-seeded an adjacent field / impromptu industial parking lot area, which also looks much nicer now.  And as I was driving by it, I saw a REALLY LARGE BIRD.

I mean, seriously, I think it must be the largest bird I've ever seen in the wild.  I've seen some strange birds around here lately, and we've definitely had more herons and cranes than in recent years.  I attribute this to weather changes, probably.  But this thing in the new grassy area looked like it was probably 36" tall at its back.  It had a brown chunky body, long legs, and a long neck with a pointy head, and it was pecking at the ground.

I was going 40 MPH and couldn't really stop to look, but damn.

So I told tangerine, and I'm sure she didn't think the bird was as big as I'd thought it was.  But we went for a walk last night that took us to the new park, and I found a feather.  It appears to be a wild turkey feather, and I'm really not convinced the bird I saw was a turkey (it could have been a large female that I saw from an odd angle, I guess), but the feather is a primary flight feather that's over 45 cm long.

It's huge.  I took it home in case I need to write a constitution.  The internets suggest that turkey primaries get to about 40 cm, so that's a big damn turkey.

I'm not much of a bird watcher, but I'm gonna have my eye on the wet areas around here. 

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2380 on: June 22, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
Sounds sort of like a great blue heron, but you mentioned herons, so I assume you're familiar with them. 36" is not tall for them, but they're more grey than brown. You said chunky though, so I dunno, I suck at bird I.D. I always rely on my sister, she's like psychic at identifying a bird I can barely describe.

I occasionally see a herd of turkeys at our local park. That's a pretty bizarre sight, and they are huge.

In Avian Things I Didn't Expect to See Today, I saw a tiny little sparrow feeding a cowbird at least twice her size in my backyard. The cowbird was flapping its wings feebly, as baby birds do when being fed. I knew cowbirds did that, but I've never seen it in the wild like that.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2381 on: June 23, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
Saw the birds again on my way home from work last night, two of them this time.  The park isn't far from tangerine's house, so I made her come back with me.  WAY too often I'm the only one who sees a thing, and I'm not saying people think I'm making it up, but . . . .

Fortunately, they were still there.  :lol:  She took a photo with her phone, which I will try to attach.

We dithered, but I'm pretty confident that they're sandhill cranes.  Their heads weren't as showy as the cranes are in a lot of pictures, but sometimes they're kind of drab, like the ones we saw.  Probably about four feet tall, per Wikipedia and such, although it doesn't say where they measure to.

We have not yet seen the giant turkey, although turkeys are pretty common in this area.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2382 on: June 23, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
I swear I actually typed out "maybe it's a sandhill crane, they're more brownish" and then deleted it.  :lol:

I've never seen a sandhill crane on the ground. They migrate through here in January? February? They fly right over the park, but really high up. Many times you can hear them very clearly, but they're so high up you can't see them.

White pelicans migrate through here too, and will land on rare occasions. The first (and only) time I saw a flock of them swimming in the lake I thought I was hallucinating.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2383 on: June 23, 2018, 02:48:15 PM »
I know, they're supposedly extremely loud -- audible a mile way.  If I've ever heard 'em, I didn't know that was what I was hearing.  :shrug:

This past year, there have also been birds around here, not in large numbers, that are black and eat carrion (and other things, possibly) and are raven-sized . . . but don't appear to be ravens.  They have more gracile heads, and their wings are smooth all the way to the tips when they fly.  Ravens I've seen have those big, bulky heads and beaks, and they have the spread-fingered wings of a raptor. 

These have wings more like, I dunno, a seagull, or something, and are definitely bigger than crows.  Definitely a pretty straight beak, so not an osprey or something, but honestly it seems like most really big birds have the spread-fingered wings, so I haven't been able to figure out what these are.

My best guess so far is that they're gyrfalcons, which aren't unknown in Michigan.  Gyrfalcons are a little smaller than ravens and not usually black, and they have a semi-curved beak, but I haven't gotten a terrific look at these things yet.  I see them flying low over the road sometimes, usually after working on roadkill.  There are places that specifically breed black gyrfalcons, so maybe they got their weird strain into the wild by accident?

Still, probably something to do with a weather change.  This spring is the first time I ever saw this particular kind of bird.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #2384 on: June 23, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
They look like sandhill cranes to me, but yeah, the males usually have fancy red heads. They are always in pairs and mate for life.

I had to slow down today to avoid hitting one with my car as they moseyed across the road.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.