Author Topic: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today  (Read 210220 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Things I Didn't Expect to See Today
« Reply #2415 on: June 29, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
:cry:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2416 on: June 30, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Damn, that absolutely sucks.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2417 on: July 05, 2019, 07:21:11 PM »
Shit.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2418 on: August 30, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »
Helped (slightly) a friend who's trying to apply for Medicaid, which is predictably kind of like trying to do state taxes.  It's sort of what you'd expect, and sort of worse, and it makes no sense in that style of They Were Trying To Do A Standard Bureaucratic Thing But Missed.

Best parts:

(A)  The information sheet is in Comic Sans.  Look, I don't even really care, but . . . really?

(B)  There's a part where they compare Available Plans In Your Area.  They have mysterious categories without any real explanation (like "Ease of Care" and "Ongoing Illness" or something) that have ratings, given in apple icons.  Every plan, in every category, has either three or four apples, so . . . you know.  Ya gonna get some apples no matter what, I guess.

Eh.  The sad? funny? good? thing is that actually Medicaid coverage is way, way better than any health insurance coverage I've ever had, unless it's impossible to actually use the benefits, or something.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2419 on: August 30, 2019, 04:13:03 PM »
(A)  The information sheet is in Comic Sans.  Look, I don't even really care, but . . . really?

Shockingly enough Comic Sans is actually really good for dyslexic people, it's similar to fonts that are specifically designed for dyslexic people to read.
I ran across this when a particular sort of display document I had to prepare for NASA required Comic Sans. Other federal agencies are picking up on that too.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2420 on: August 31, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Really?  Nice!

That's even funnier, and obviously better.  :thumbsup:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2421 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-02/massive-rescue-operation-after-dozens-trapped-in-boat-fire-off-santa-barbara

I've spent a lot of time sleeping on that boat. I know exactly what happened to everyone that's "missing." They were all sleeping below decks. There are in theory two ways out.

In theory.

Those people are all dead.

I'm massively freaked out by this. So far no one I know has reported in dead, but it's a real possibility. I had friends *and* family out on her last month. Many memories of that boat.

I'm massively freaked out by this.

pdrake

« Reply #2422 on: September 03, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
I've been on several charters out of those ports. I've had nothing but good experiences and all crews have been professional. I may have even been on this boat on one. This is awful.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2423 on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
One friend of a friend. So far.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2424 on: October 12, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
We saw many damn sexy houses in Brattleboro, VT, a few days ago, and also many enormous farmhouses that were somewhere between Highly Desirable and Purely Hilarious.

But, for instance, take a gander at this monster.

It's apparently a crazy market.  We saw a lot of manufactured doublewide-esque homes that were over a hundred grand and a lot of 1850-1920 houses 2500 sq ft and up that, OK, needed a little work, but were a hundred grand and under.

We're not thinking of moving there.  It's beautiful, but if anything we'd be looking at less winter, not more.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #2425 on: October 12, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
Wow, that's a fucking gorgeous house!  :trance:

I could never move there though. That's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and I'd never find a way to make a living.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

pdrake

« Reply #2426 on: October 13, 2019, 12:19:06 AM »
Looks like a duplex. I think I lived in a duplex that was a lot like this house in Lincoln when I was in school. It was right by the capitol building.

One time, I had a small apartment across the street from the governor's mansion.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2427 on: October 14, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »
That's really only the edge of nowhere.  The nowhere goes a lot deeper.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2428 on: October 14, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
The sad thing is it's worth just a little more than our remodel.  Which begs the question, how do places like that support new construction with materials and labor being so high?  Is there no new construction going on?  Are they incorporating slavery?  Are building codes non-existent?  No permits needed?  So many questions.  Will global warming give them a nice climate in 10 years when I can sell my house to some Google tech bro and I can just pay cash for something like this and still have plenty of dough left over?
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #2429 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
Dude.  You are warped by where you live.  Where I live, a brand new 3000 square foot house on a quarter acre of land costs around $200K.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.