Author Topic: Gasoline Tax Holiday  (Read 5044 times)

BizB

• Administrator
  • HURRRRRRRRRR
Gasoline Tax Holiday
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
Dear Hillary,
What they hell were you thinking when you indicated that we should have the oil companies pay for the three month gasoline tax holiday?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/ny-nacamp03,0,4478421.story

Have you never taken an economics class?  Have you never see what happens when you shift the direct burden from the end user to the middle man?

If you eliminate the federal gasoline tax for the end user and "make the oil companies pay for it", what do you think the oil companies are going to do?

...oh gee wiz, Mrs. Clinton, you're right.  Here's 10 billion dollars.  We won't pass this cost on to the consumer.  We promise.

If this is all the smarter our candidates for president are, we're in a world of hurt.

Pandering... the road to the Whitehouse.

Signed
America
I overslept this morning.  I was hitting the snooze button like it was my little sister.
I overslept this morning.  I was banging the snooze button like it was my step sister.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
Re: Gasoline Tax Holiday
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
Yep.  Just stupid pandering.

Of course, it's not much better than the income tax refunds.  In that case we're basically borrowing from China to give to the public.  Which means we'll have to pay it back... with interest.
Shake your groove thing.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
We went to Target yesterday and it was a fucking madhouse.  We couldn't figure out why.  Today we were in line at the grocery store and Punk says " OH!  That's why it was so crazy at Target.  The Bush bribes are here!"  I think the old lady waiting on us was offended, but the old lady behind us was amused.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:14 PM »
that there is a giant pile of stupid.

Strike 4 against the Mrs., I'm tellin ya.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

BizB

• Administrator
  • HURRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0508/Clinton_OPEC_can_no_longer_be_a_cartel.html

Dear Hillary,
You're right.  OPEC is acting as a monopoly according to the US Anti-Trust laws.  Unfortunate for you, we're not a US corporation and so we're not subject to your anti-trust laws.  However, we really feel your pain and we want to eliminate our organization as a source of angst for you and your campaign.  We believe that you have a valid argument when you say that we shouldn't be allowed to set the supply end of the supply and demand equation in the USA.  Please get your crude oil elsewhere.

Signed
OPEC
I overslept this morning.  I was hitting the snooze button like it was my little sister.
I overslept this morning.  I was banging the snooze button like it was my step sister.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
Please get your crude oil elsewhere.

I can't imagine OPEC saying that even if it were a valid alternative.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
Not with the Suadis and other members so heavily invested in the US.

Though I'm sure Venezuela and a few others would be happy to tell us to go to hell.
Shake your groove thing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
The fact that OPEC does anything it does is no excuse for us to whine about it.  They have that oil.  It's in their countries.  We don't have any right to that oil.  They don't have to sell it to us at all.  Of course, they very much want to sell it to us, and a lot of them (the Saudis, for starters) want to keep the extra perks of having us buy their oil.  But there's no reason they have to, and we don't have any right to force them, etc.

We only import like half our oil, and we use too much.  Norway, the UK, and Mexico all produce beaucoup oil, and there are years where we're the third-biggest producer in the world.  Lots of oil is produced in South America, and some experts think it's soon going to be a LOT of oil being produced in South America.  Oh, but we tried to control those folks down south, and a lot of them kind of hate us.  I guess maybe that was stupid of us.  Go figure.

I have no idea if any recent President has made a serious effort to drive a hard bargain with OPEC.  Who the hell knows what they really do?  But certainly Bush hasn't.  If he had his face any further up the Saudis' collective ass, he'd be tasting their trendy aviator sunglasses.

But surely his policies are making us lots of friends in the Middle East, so it's bound to work out Real Good.

Wintermute

• Trusted
  • OH GOD HOW DID THIS GET HERE
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »
All I can wonder, as I see oil went up to 120 a barrel, is when the riots start.

Seriously.

I was talking about this at work with a coworker today, and mentioned something tongue-in-cheek (mine) about thinking of getting a concealed carry permit.  Her reply was, "to defend yourself or to participate?" 

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:40:03 AM »
 :rollin:

Good question.

There is part of me that is a little more relaxed at night knowing the 'rents have property that is capable of being self-sustaining. The well is in no danger of drying up, and game and fowl are everywhere in there. Setting up a small farm would be a snap.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

BizB

• Administrator
  • HURRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
The only way there would be riots is if they were announced on American Idol and then reinforced on Deal or No Deal and then someone sent an SMS 10 minutes before-hand to say "Go!"

It's the same with the start of the revolution.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
Yeah, we'll be on the seat of our pants to see who wins Beauty and the Geek while the rest of the world is burning.
Shake your groove thing.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »
Just one...more...level....
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Besides, the world isn't allowed to end until my char dings 70 and starts doling out some retribution.

BizB

• Administrator
  • HURRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Gas jumped from $3.46 to $3.80 today.