Author Topic: RNC  (Read 15130 times)

vox8

• Trusted
Re: RNC
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
It is the large barracudas that can have problems. He ate little bitty ones. My sister says that you should avoid eating any of the large predator fishies because of the accumulation of crapola in their systems from eating little fishies.

And I have taken No Reservations off of my DVR listings and am not going to be watching him anymore. He finally went over a line that I could not handle and has bought into his own self aggrandizement. If you want more specifics feel free to ask, but I won't bore you with my rant otherwise.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yeah, pretty much said the same thing as Venk but with less scientific credibility. My sister does work for the National Wildlife Fund and until recently worked for the Florida Department of Fisheries & Wildlife specializing in Marine Fisheries.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »
Actually vox, do start a new thread in entertainment if you care to, I'm curious to know what you think. I stopped watching and reading Bourdain a long time ago for basically the same reason -- there are moments of brilliance but he is such a dick I couldn't stand it any longer.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
I'd like to hear, too, Vox.
Shake your groove thing.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
I'm curious too. BC is the place to get your rant on. I know I do.  :D
I like these shows, but most are in 2006 - and it's now 2008. A lot of stuff changes in that amount of time.
He finally went over a line that I could not handle and has bought into his own self aggrandizement.
I've seen a few people I know fall victim to the same thing and it's fucking irritating.

So yea, rant on!
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »
Just don't go over the line.
Shake your groove thing.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »
I'm curious too. I read a couple of his books and used to watch his show all the time, but I just suddenly lost interest in him. I have no idea why.

No need to start a new thread - the RNC's over, and what thread around here stays on topic anyway?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
I don't know who he is, but eating large predators is always iffy.

And the US can actually help with this, but won't, because the official position of the government ever since the Reagan days is that everything south of the Rio Grande is a source of drugs and communism and nothing else.

Well . . . another part of the problem is that Big Business loves Mexico just the way it is, NAFTA or no NAFTA.  Illegal immigrant semi-slave labor is good for profits.  Dumping grounds for unregulated products is good for profits.  Cheap real estate and low taxes for unregulated factory production is good for profits.  Unregulated testing grounds for new products (drugs, for instance) is good for profits.  Hell, building a giant Berlin Wall is very good for someone's profits.

When I lived in Nebraska, the rah-rah Right Wing pushed a triumphant big-penalties-for-illegals-employers law through.  Something like two weeks later, they fought to have it repealed.  All the big hog agribusinesses in their PACs told them that if the illegals had to go, so would the big hog agribusinesses.  Whoops.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
Whoa: demotions for Olbermann and Matthews?

Because of what he said about that 9/11 video linked earlier? I mean, was he wrong?

In an interview on Sunday, Mr. Olbermann said that moment — and the perception that he is “not utterly neutral” — restarted months-old conversations about his role on political nights.

“I found it ironic and instructive that I could have easily said exactly what I did say, exactly when I did say it, if I had been wearing a different hat, and nobody would have taken any issue,” he said.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
It sucks that two of the more hard-hitting pundits are getting pushed down in the ranks, but then again, I'm pretty sick of the whole political media circus.

Neither of these guys is a substitute for what YOU should know already.

*Zappaesque finger point*

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
Matthews is a jackass anyway, and MSNBC is a joke of a network.  Olbermann should be working somewhere more prestigious and respectable.  Comedy Central, maybe, since satire is the new (and, nowadays, pretty much only) journalism.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2008, 05:40:33 PM »
How interesting. I saw a panel discussion on CSPAN during the RNC, and the question of whether an anchor should be neutral was one of the issues they were debating. Before watching the debate, my opinion was that an anchor should be neutral, but Arianna made some pretty good points against it. Here's some of the discussion, but not the best points.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
I would have liked to have seen that.  I've noticed time and time again that Arianna is really great at taking the framing of the debate away from the Right.  I really should read her more often.

I was just talking to Beens in IRC about Rachel Maddow's new show on MSNBC (which was just on).  I mentioned that I like her better than Olbermann and I like him better than the rest of them.  The main reason is they call people on their bullshit which I think is what all the news media should be doing.

A lie is a lie.  Pretending it's just part of the political process is not impartiality.  The fact that the Republicans are the ones most frequently bold-faced lying does not mean you are for the left if you call them on it.  If the media had called Bush and his croneys on their bullshit when it mattered, we probably wouldn't be in Iraq. 

So if the only ones with the will to call politicians liars are lefties like Maddow and Olbermann, than I'll be watching them because I want truth not bullshit.  Pretending it's not bullshit doesn't make it smell any less, it just makes it rub off on you.
Shake your groove thing.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »
The latest editorial from Olbermann on the use of 9/11 as a political tool at the RNC and in McCain's campaign. He draws an interesting parallel between terrorism from outside the country and from within it. 8 minutes.