Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 125310 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1395 on: January 02, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »
I was believing you until you said "cordless cellular window shades" now I'm all NOT SURE IF SERIOUS

(although being able to open / close my window shades by phone might be nice)
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1396 on: January 04, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »
:huh:  Cellular shades, per se.

The ones we have are pretty cheap (like $80 for two 2x5' windows, shades cut to custom width) and aren't tremendously insulating, but they look nice and work well.  They have a spring mechanism in the . . . upper body box thing . . . so that the shade has a neutral balance at any position.  No strings; you just pull them down or raise them up, and they stay where you left them.

You can't peak out through them like you can with Venetian blinds, but they look better, stay cleaner, and probably last much longer, since they have far fewer moving parts.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1397 on: January 06, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »
OOOh I get it now.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1398 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
You can't peak out through them

:eyeroll:

Officially getting old.  :whatever:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1399 on: January 07, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
Your looseing it man

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1400 on: January 08, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
Serbously.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1401 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
But then.  We were at Home Depot on New Year's Eve (yes, rockin' the party), and for $32 we got a 4' pretend-T8-fluorescent fixture that's 2100 lumens of near-daylight for under 20 watts.  Well, OK! 

I wonder how those would do for plant lights? I bring my potted plants inside for the winter and use 4 old T8 fluorescent fixtures. I have some gro-light bulbs, but most of the bulbs are just cool white. I imagine the spectrum of the LED would be better. I don't have a point of reference for the 2100 lumens though...
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1402 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
You'd have to look it up.  Most of the fluorescent-style LED bulbs I see are cool white or nearly daylight, but some are warm.  They might or might not be especially plant-friendly, though, regardless of their color tone.

They do sell grow bulbs in that format, but they're often not that pleasant as room lighting.

pdrake

« Reply #1403 on: January 09, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »
Daylight runs about 5-6000K.

Most bulbs list a temp. I know all the LEDs I purchase at work do. Clients request warm/cool light all the time.

Not sure this will have much effect on plants, though. Don't they need UV light too? That's a totally different thing than the color spectrum.

I guess that's pretty much what axe said.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1404 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
Not all UV is created equal but briefly, no, plants don't really need it. Except in the context of bees, who can see into the near UV and certain flowering plants have markings that only show up when UV illuminated that appear to be cues for bees.
If you're growing plants indoors you don't need bees, and probably don't need UV.

In terms of color temperature, the lower temperature sources with redder light are going to be marginally less efficient than bluer lights just because a lot of the chlorophyll b absorption band is in the blue. That might matter some if you're using dimmer light (outside there's plenty of light and plants generally have strategies for dealing with too much light more than they do for too little) (except for forest floor shade plants) (anyway)

pdrake

« Reply #1405 on: January 09, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
Thanks!
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1406 on: January 10, 2019, 10:35:37 PM »
OOOh I get it now.

We've had those for about 15 years now.  The Dog TV one though has a big chunk taken out of it though.  Thanks Chunk.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1407 on: February 06, 2019, 07:28:37 PM »
I found this Hackaday article and comments on LED bulbs interesting, thought you might like it, Axe. I learned a bit from it, but I know little about LED bulbs, it might not be enlightening :whatever: for you. I linked to the Hacker News post because some of the comments there are interesting as well.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1408 on: February 09, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
:hmm:

I film all the LED bulbs I buy in slow motion at 240 fps with an Android phone, and play the movie back on a PC with mplayer using the dot(".") key to move frame by frame.

Um.  Speaking only for myself, I don't have the time to be that geeky.  Also, if you believe all your bulbs are strobing at 120 Hz and you're that much of a geek, there are way easier ways of testing if they're strobing.  Hell, looking through a computer fan with a rheostat on the cord so you can adjust its speed would do it.

That said, I've owned a wide variety of LED bulbs of many different styles, and none of them have had serious strobing issues, by my standards. 

In my experience, Philips lightbulbs are one of the few brands that don't have this flaw because they take care of converting AC to a stable DC voltage internally.

I don't know about screw-in bulbs sold commercially on store shelves in the US, but I think every wire-in LED bulb / lamp I've ever bought had a its own transformer.  It's vogue to call the transformer an 'LED driver' now, although I don't know why.  Banggood sells a wide range of bare drivers for DIY nuts, but, I mean, right now I could go to Meijer and buy a hand-sized 2000 lumen daylight spotlight for $25.  Takes some of the DIY fun out of it.  :lol:

I've basically never wanted to dim an LED light, and the dimmable LEDs are like 3x the price, so I don't buy those.  Some of the comments say the dimmable ones flicker the most.  :shrug:

Irritatingly, a lot of LED lamps I've gotten don't tell you the actual DC input.  I am not electronicist enough to figure it out reliably on my own.  So if I buy a 220V AC 55W LED lamp (which I have), I know it actually runs on some DC input . . . but the driver doesn't say what.  So I gotta convert my 110V wall power to 220V and use the transformer that came with the thing.  :nonplused:  And that's especially inconvenient because the lamp wants to be grounded, but I can only find non-grounded 110V-220V converters at sane prices.

Incidentally, a lot of the bare LED lamps you can get (especially the cool-looking COB ones, which have that smooth yellowish emitting surface) will work well at a range of voltages, no 'dimmable' rating necessary.  The color may vary noticeably, or may not, depending on the type.  A lot of the time, ones rated at 12V will run quite nicely at 9V, just not as bright, and will run fine at 15V, although some will overheat and die.  LED bulbs meant for car headlights will often run on a 9V battery, which can be entertaining.

I figure they make 'em like a lot of things, where they do a batch, test them, and rate them according to the fail rating.  This batch is good, so these are 12V LEDs.  This other batch, we had a bunch of failures at 12V, so we're calling these 6V LEDs.

Anyway, we use a lot of pretty bright daylight-spectrum LED bulbs, and they've been unproblematic.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1409 on: February 09, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
I thought the benefit of the dimmable bulbs was that they were less susceptible to failure because they can handle voltage fluctuations better. I dunno. The one thing I came away with is it's a very complicated topic compared to incandescent bulbs.