Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 123962 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1410 on: February 11, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
Single reporter, but in my own experience LED bulbs are much more reliable than incandescents.  I had a medium-exotic LED bulb die a couple of weeks ago, but that's the only one I can think of that suffered a major malfunction, and I've owned dozens. 

The one that died had many LEDs on just one side and was rotatable -- I own half a dozen of that specific type, and those particular bulbs get quite hot.  They have heatsinks built into the other side, but the one that died was being used in the shop, was left on permanently, and after about six months it overheated and went to about half-brightness.  It was mounted up near the ceiling in a display window, so not ideal for air circulation.  :nonplused: 

I moved it to a friendlier socket ( :knotty: ), and it gradually lost brightness over the next month or so until it was uselessly dim.

The #1 problem I have with LED lamps is that non-screw-type (ones that just have wires sticking out of them) often have EXTREMELY flimsy wire attachment.  They're super-fragile, and if the wires break off, it's a huge pain in the ass to solder them back on.  Usually not worth it.  So if you're buying wire-in-place from Banggood or Amazon, the comments will often say to immediately put a dab of epoxy or something on point where the wires are attached.

The screw-in bulbs, though . . . I understand people who have issues with the color available.  Although warmer hues are rare, it seems like it just wouldn't be hard to put a slightly colored shell on the thing.  If you want an 800 lumen warm bulb, getting a 1500 lumen cool white one with a warm shell ought to do the trick, and it's not that much more expensive.  Heat build-up would be a little more, but whatevs.