Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 116020 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1305 on: January 30, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
It can just be an obscure URL with a No Robots.  But a PDF is still horrific overkill.  Honestly, a damned bitmap would be more elegant than that.

The main thing is that I laboriously work out a schedule, and then people (A) forget what their schedule is or (B) want to ask if they can make changes.  And if you're not at the shop where you can see the calendar, it's a farking mystery.

I don't mind if only I can change the online calendar, but it needs to be something that can be trivially opened in a browser, even on mobile, and it literally just needs to show at least a week at a time and allow me to put text into the square for each day.

Maybe I'll just see if everyone's phone can display an RTF file in the browser.  I mean, that shouldn't even be an issue, but god only knows.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1306 on: September 24, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
SO, tangerine and I have been fooling around with the idea of a hand-cranked generator for powering USB-type and/or 12V batteries, as this area is prone to power outages.

I've been looking at DIY stuff online, and . . . most of it is utter crap.  :lol:  :eyeroll:

Basically, you got your Elementary Science Fair stuff, where you turn a crank and it lights up an LED until you stop. 

Then you got your Holy Crap aluminum-foil-instead-of-wires stuff that's meant to charge a battery (either kind) but has no rectification or diodes to prevent battery discharge, much less any voltage regulation.  In some cases, people use a voltmeter and just watch it to make sure their 19.2V drill motor doesn't put out more than 15V while they're charging a 12V battery. 

In many cases, these people use a wooden spoon (always wooden) stuck through a hand mixer's beater attachment as a crank.  You can't make a better crank than that?  You're not going to survive the apocalypse.  That's an OK crank if you're macgyvering on the spot, but not if you're prepping.

Then, lastly, you've got your off-the-grid people who just want to demonstrate that they built a (usually pretty crappy) bicycle-driven generator, but who don't want to explain how they did it.

I'd want something that turned out a consistent current and used, say, a one-foot crank arm or flywheel (a bicycle wheel would be fine).  Human-powered generators you can typically buy are either teeny, to be highly portable, or pedal-powered and $250, for some reason.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1307 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »
Goal Zero pocket solar panel & USB power + AA/AAA charger, 12-volt outlet. Currently on sale at REI.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"Fortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing.  Not until they get sexier drones." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1308 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
:thumbsup: 

Looks good, but the Blitzwolf products are cheaper.  I got a couple of those.  I want a crank jobber, too.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1309 on: September 27, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »
Bandname!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1310 on: November 28, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
I want to wire a bunch of light sockets together for low-wattage LED bulbs, and despite conflicting advice online about whether these should be wired in series or parallel, my biggest problem is that what I really need is a lot of short pieces of wire that either have flat terminals or bare ends.  I'd pay a few bucks extra to avoid cutting 50 6" pieces and stripping both ends.

I've seen such a thing sold in bags before, but I apparently can't figure out what to google to find them.  It's not "short pieces of wire" or anything. 

Times like these, I am keenly reminded of how not-smart our software is at this stage.

pdrake

you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1312 on: November 29, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
I need ones that will take 110V house current, and those look much too thin, but "jumper" is probably the keyword I was missing.  Terrific!

Now to look for something similar but in a lower gauge.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1313 on: December 02, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
Couldn't find exactly what I wanted, but Home Depot's website eventually coughed up a listing for 8" grounding pigtails in 12 AWG, 25 to a bag for $20, spade terminal on one end and ring terminal on the other.

That'd do, although it's kind of overkill.  They do offer 14 AWG pigtails, without a terminal at one end, but only in $100+ bulk quantities (250 or more).

Even cheaper on Amazon, but elusive in higher gauges.  Can't quite win, but 12 or 14 AWG should be good enough.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1314 on: December 02, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
... but 12 or 14 AWG should be good enough.

That should be just fine.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1315 on: December 03, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
:thumbsup: