Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 118301 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1320 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
He's adorable!  Watched, liked, subscribed.  :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #1321 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
Thank  you all! He is a crazy man. I will pass on the Firefox comment. I have no idea what he has going on.

He started downloading operating systems for fun when he was about 6 or 7. At 7 he was reading a copy of "Unix for dummies" he found in Roger's stuff. He once had a minor obsession with Ubuntu? I have no clue.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1322 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
I'm on a hackathon team with engineers from the emulation team.  Tons of jargon and way over my head stuff.  I get to be the financial sanity guy.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1323 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »
He once had a minor obsession with Ubuntu?

A lot of kids go through that.  It's a phase. I'm sure he moved into more reasonable Linux distros.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1324 on: April 19, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »

A lot of kids go through that.  It's a phase. I'm sure he moved into more reasonable Linux distros.
BSD 4.2? :bolt:
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #1325 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »

I'll ask him what he prefers now and report back.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1326 on: April 19, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm still pretty happy with CinnaMint, with minor caveats:

- Keyboard support is so-so.  This is an interface flavor issue, and while it's different from typical Windows issues, it's not worse.

- The default file manager and image viewer are pretty bad.  I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I just haven't had time to go find them.

- Its reliance on the internet, and how that works, for things like Help and installing programs is embarrassingly bad, but apparently this is common to a lot of distros.  Again, if I had time, I'd learn to use sudo and yadda yadda, but this is the kind of install where you shouldn't have to learn to use sudo and yadda yadda.

I wish WINE (the Windows emulator) was so good that running minor Windows applications was trivially simple, fast, and so on.  But, again, this is probably almost entirely only because I haven't had time to go find free Linux apps that are pretty similar.

I fear there will never again be an app like the original InfoSelect, though, so I hope I can eventually get it running under WINE or something.  Some day, when I have the time, whatever.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1327 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"Fortunately, I'm not into that sort of thing.  Not until they get sexier drones." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d