Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 122730 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1320 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
He's adorable!  Watched, liked, subscribed.  :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #1321 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
Thank  you all! He is a crazy man. I will pass on the Firefox comment. I have no idea what he has going on.

He started downloading operating systems for fun when he was about 6 or 7. At 7 he was reading a copy of "Unix for dummies" he found in Roger's stuff. He once had a minor obsession with Ubuntu? I have no clue.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1322 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
I'm on a hackathon team with engineers from the emulation team.  Tons of jargon and way over my head stuff.  I get to be the financial sanity guy.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1323 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »
He once had a minor obsession with Ubuntu?

A lot of kids go through that.  It's a phase. I'm sure he moved into more reasonable Linux distros.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1324 on: April 19, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »

A lot of kids go through that.  It's a phase. I'm sure he moved into more reasonable Linux distros.
BSD 4.2? :bolt:
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #1325 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »

I'll ask him what he prefers now and report back.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1326 on: April 19, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm still pretty happy with CinnaMint, with minor caveats:

- Keyboard support is so-so.  This is an interface flavor issue, and while it's different from typical Windows issues, it's not worse.

- The default file manager and image viewer are pretty bad.  I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I just haven't had time to go find them.

- Its reliance on the internet, and how that works, for things like Help and installing programs is embarrassingly bad, but apparently this is common to a lot of distros.  Again, if I had time, I'd learn to use sudo and yadda yadda, but this is the kind of install where you shouldn't have to learn to use sudo and yadda yadda.

I wish WINE (the Windows emulator) was so good that running minor Windows applications was trivially simple, fast, and so on.  But, again, this is probably almost entirely only because I haven't had time to go find free Linux apps that are pretty similar.

I fear there will never again be an app like the original InfoSelect, though, so I hope I can eventually get it running under WINE or something.  Some day, when I have the time, whatever.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1327 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1329 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
Now, see, what I really need is a browser where if I press, say, Alt-click when selecting a link, it will automatically download the linked page to a cache and then open it from the cache as an offline document. 

Completely offline.  Unless I load that page normally, pretend there's no internet connection when you render that page.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1330 on: April 24, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
Currently, even straight forward looking pages can contain scripts that interact with the server behind the scenes. Some are well written and "fail gracefully" and invisibly if there is no connection with the server. But if you open a page from cache, do you want the web page to be able to "phone home" or not? If the connection fails and it's a badly written page, I'm not sure if a browser is the right place to try overcome the page resolution issues.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1331 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
Like I said, for this I'd want the browser to pretend there was no internet connection.  I want the document to be dead.

A lot of pages won't render properly like that, due to being shit.  But Opera's User Mode display options will usually render them well enough that you can easily read all the text.

There are an awful, awful, awful lot of awful webpages where I'd rather just have the text come through than deal with their phone-home attempts and ad-loading attempts and certificate bullshit and JavaScript bullshit.  The photos and formatting and so on are worth the extra BS maybe 10% of the time.

Once you get used to websites loading kind of instantly, waiting for JS / third-party content you don't want and didn't ask for / blah blah blah . . . you lose patience for that.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1332 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
The internet constantly moves away from the kind of internet I like -- especially commercial sites, but there's less and less HTML and simple content delivery all the time.  I'm finding it easier to accept this.  Reddit's redesign is making me find that I'd rather just let Reddit go than keep turning off JS and cookies and reloading every page several times until it displays acceptably.

I do think there's a good chance of a major struggle between browser-apps that try to extract content regardless of what the publisher wants, on the one hand, and publishers trying harder to restrict access to the content they're fielding.  It's not different from the old paywall problem.  Sites moving further into complex labyrinths of design that 'brand' content or try to avoid having it referred to from or copied elsewhere . . . it's really the same thing.

And it's really a struggle against the basic concepts of the early internet.  I really prefer those concepts, myself.  I'm sure there's enough Usenet-esque POSH internet out there that I can discover instead, and I can even spend less of my life online, and yadda yadda.

But if I seem to vanish completely, it's probably just this process of the internet moving on.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1333 on: May 15, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »
The internet really has gone sour. I'm pretty sure it isn't just my sourness.

It's grown into more of a utility than a form of entertainment. As much as I've grown to dislike what it has become, I don't think I could get by without it. It has crossed my mind a lot lately though.

I haven't seen the reddit redesign yet, but there are plenty of things there to dislike without it. My interaction there has deteriorated to lurk-only mode.

I saw a conversation a while back on Hacker News about how RSS should make a comeback, how, in retrospect, it was a pretty great thing. No shit. So maybe there is hope, but then later I read another article on there about the increased popularity of paywalls "due to adblockers", and the author talks about the expense of their subscriptions:

These days, my media subscriptions are hovering around $80 a month, and I dont even have TV. Storage costs for Google, Apple, and Dropbox are another $13 a month. Cable and cell service are another $200 a month combined. Software subscriptions are probably about $20 a month (although so many are annualized its hard to keep track of them). Amazon Prime and a few others total in around $25 a month.

The article is prompted by the announcement by Bloomberg of a $35/month subscription fee.  :lol:

I just realized yesterday that if I disable CSS on one of my local news sites, I can view pictures that are normally not visible without enabling scripts for dozens of domains. Twitter has begun throwing up a "Would you like to proceed to legacy Twitter" message that can be killed the same way. It gets tiring trying to figure out how to workaround their feature/bugs.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1334 on: May 15, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
It gets tiring trying to figure out how to workaround their feature/bugs.

Exactly this.  Opera used to make it relatively easy, but there's more and more garbage code and pseudocontent all the time.  There are tons of pages that take like twenty seconds or more to download and render, but all I REALLY want is the text.  If I turn off images, JS, CSS, the pages load in 2-3 seconds.

It's like if you've ever driven a car that had insanely intense styling but was a shitty car.  It gets really old, really fast, and meanwhile you can hardly get anywhere.  I don't need a website to have fine Ultragrain Laminate Veneers and Rich Corinthian Leatherette.

My cell service is $40 a month, which really isn't bad at all for what I get, god knows.  I still don't have home internet because there still aren't any non-rip-off options here, but I'm just delaying the inevitable.  So much of the internet is just intolerable on mobile.  I don't have cable; I don't use any pay online storage. 

I do have Amazon Prime, but all I want and use it for is shipping options and to help slightly game Amazon's insanely incompetent search function.  You can search Amazon about as well using Google, and it's faster and less offensive.  Meanwhile, retailers also continually learn how to game Prime, so it's more and more common that I can find a cheaper option even with shipping off-Prime.  I rarely actually need the thing the next day, so . . . I think I'm gonna dump Prime.  If Amazon were a less annoying and evil company, then maybe.

There are a lot of sites that I'd pay $5 a month to use if they'd knock off the bullshit for subscribers.  There should be at least a stripped-down option for the interface.  I'm not against ads; I'm against shitty, annoying ads that take forever to load and that ruin the page.  You could keep simple ads on a subscriber page without irritating me.

BUT I suspect it's not to be.  I could be wrong; there could be a revolution toward content, if enough people get sick of bullshit and a corporation or two gets lucky exploiting that.