Author Topic: Geek Talk  (Read 125959 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Geek Talk
« Reply #1425 on: May 07, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
:thumbsup:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1426 on: May 09, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »
I always tell my students: first, learn a structured programming language (BASIC, C, Pascal, R, MATLAB, bash, etc), then learn object-oriented programming (C++, Java, etc) *then* the fancy stuff like Python or Scheme. So unless he's already into structured programming (understanding conditionals and loops and functions is all that is, basically), then he's going to have a tougher time with a non-dumbed down version of C++ because it can be a snake pit. Java is supposed to be a dumbed down version of C++, and JavaScript is a dumbed down version of Java, but, eh, it's not really like that. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he'll be more frustrated if he cuts corners to begin with and will get stuck more.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1427 on: May 12, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
I always tell my students: first, learn a structured programming language (BASIC, C, Pascal, R, MATLAB, bash, etc), then learn object-oriented programming (C++, Java, etc) *then* the fancy stuff like Python or Scheme. So unless he's already into structured programming (understanding conditionals and loops and functions is all that is, basically), then he's going to have a tougher time with a non-dumbed down version of C++ because it can be a snake pit. Java is supposed to be a dumbed down version of C++, and JavaScript is a dumbed down version of Java, but, eh, it's not really like that. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he'll be more frustrated if he cuts corners to begin with and will get stuck more.

This.  Once you learn a structured programming set of logic, really anything else is just syntax, and more forgiving scripting languages will be simple.  The toolset you get from learning it that way will stay with you pretty much forever.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.