Author Topic: Geek lite question  (Read 28979 times)

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
Geek lite question
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:52:50 AM »
I have a CD that I know has a root-kit on it.  Will this affect my PC if I just play the audio or is it only a problem if I rip it?
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Geek lite question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
!

Is this the famous Sony rootkit? I forget the details of how that worked.

:hmm:

Stick it in a Mac and rip it. :evil:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
It is indeed.

And at the moment the question is moot, since I only brought the case in.  The CD is in the car player.   :eyeroll:
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
:lol:

On our drive up to Santa Cruz I pulled out a selection of CDs to listen to in the car and more than half were empty when we opened them up on the road :doh:

Kids got the Daddy Death Glare for that one.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

bit zero

• Trusted
  • come and see the violence inherent in the sysadmin
    • Meh
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »
if you have to put it in a windows box, try holding down shift so that the autorun doesn't run

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »
The next question is legal - am I liable if I "accidentally" load a root-kit on my work machine?   ;)

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
I always used CDex for this sort of thing and it wasn't a problem.

It worked fine on the first Velvet Revolver album, which I later found out was rootkitted.

I also turn off CD autoplay by default on my machines.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
I hate autoplay for pretty much everything.  I can't seem to stop Windows machines from autoplaying my flash drive, which is very annoying -- I never ever play anything directly from the drive.  The Shift key, it does nothing.

More annoying . . . I notice that sometimes Windows (XP) claims the flash drive has been safely ejected, but then it complains when I actually remove the thing, and the data on it gets corrupted up a bit.  Particularly, the last stuff I copied on there gets jumbled, and the directory it's in becomes unreliable, but Explorer won't even let me ever erase that directory -- it'll claim it's erasing the broken files, and they'll vanish until next time I plug the drive in, and then they'll be back.  Try to erase the directory, and it'll say it can't because the directory isn't empty.  Very helpful.

The disk checking thing is no help.  I haven't tried the command line diskchk with various switches, mostly because I don't even remember those tricks anymore.  But this is typical of the problems Windows gives me and why I hate it.  It craps on everything I put near it.

Most of my flash drive is still fine, but eventually it'll fill up with broken junk entries and partition table errors, and I'll have to reformat the whole thing, or just buy a new one.  It makes me nervous about using my more expensive portable USB hard drive, though.  This is the second flash drive I've had that's had the same problem, and googling it suggests lots of people have the same issues.  Meh!

Ljdjr

• Honolululu
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:43:47 AM »
random you might try this.

When the USB flash drive is plugged in go to the My Computer screen and right click on the flash drive.  Left click on Properties. 

On the Auto Play tab select the 'Select an action to perform' radio button and select the Ghostbuster 'Take no action' option.

Of course Windows probably won't listen (or more likely the pushy flash drive maker), but it's worth a shot.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 03:47:31 PM »
Question:

My cat knocked over my LCD monitor yesterday, pushing it over onto the little sharp edged console that controls my speakers, putting a nice crack in the screen.

Fortunately it's off to the right side, so doesn't interfere with viewing, but it looks like it may have gone all the way through.

Are there any repercussions for me to just keeping using it? I'm not blasting radioactive waves at my torso, or letting some other crap leak out?

And yes, I am that dumb to ask.  :P
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
Just photons and EMFs like usual, methinks.  I'd assume it's safe.  Not 100% sure though.
Shake your groove thing.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »
There's a hole in the internet! Quick! Seal it before it ruptures the reality membrane!
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
I knocked over my monitor a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night when I got up for the bathroom. Now the right part of the screen is a white vertical bar about an inch across.

Don't really have the cash to spring for another one. Buddy of mine said that I should check Craigslist in the hope of a free hand-me-down...

BizB

• Administrator
  • HURRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
I overslept this morning.  I was hitting the snooze button like it was my little sister.
I overslept this morning.  I was banging the snooze button like it was my step sister.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
I need clarification on dynamic IP addresses and what they get attached to.

Is it true to say that any given ISP these days most likely assigns basic customers a dynamic IP address for each session they access the internet on their computer.

If you have 2 computers on the internet in your house at the same time, will they have separate addresses, or is a single one assigned at the diverging point at the router -- or is that the result of a firewall?
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."