Author Topic: Geek lite question  (Read 28980 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Geek lite question
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »
Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong about his plan.  I just don't think it's a good plan.  But maybe he's planning a Mars colony as a boondoggle investment to fund something else.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #271 on: February 23, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
Man, I really hope this is for one of your fiction projects, because live steam ('live' meaning not condensing, so it is effectively invisible) is really fooking dangerous shit. I've never seen it travel more than a few meters because it cools off pretty fast in the air, but within that radius it might as well be a sci-fi disintegration beam. Darth Trent would know a lot more about this, but some of that information may be DUN DUN DUNNNNN classified ;)

Live steam (also known as dry, saturated steam) can flay the flesh off your bones like a laser.

When I was on the Enterprise back in the mid 90s, some of the old, original steam piping in the reactor plant was sometimes leaky.  Since you can't actually SEE a steam leak of that nature, some guys would walk through certain areas waving a broomstick in front of them.  To have a pinpoint stream of live steam hit you at that temperature and pressure could actually slice you like a bandsaw.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
Broomstick, sure, but what if you had a 10' fiberglass rod?  Would it cut or seriously damage the end of the rod when you were still 40' from the leak?  60'?

These are the questions today's mad scientist doesn't want to answer through trial and error.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »

Live steam (also known as dry, saturated steam) can flay the flesh off your bones like a laser.

I thought for sure that would have to be on youtube, but no. There are several videos showing a demonstration of lighting a match with dry steam, but nothing showing the extreme possibilities.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
I need to borrow an 8-string so I can write my Norwegian Death Metal opus "Flay The Flesh Off Your Bones Like A Laser."
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »
Well, I hate to be pedantic . . . OK, I don't hate it, but . . . flaying flesh is technically flensing

By depth, it goes fleece, flay, flense, debone.

Flensing knives vary from semi-hooked cleavers to a machete with a long handle, almost like a naginata.  A flaying knife is much more delicate and flexible.  I guess you could design both flaying and flensing lasers, along a variety of lines depending on the desired effect.  I mean, if you want the flesh mostly intact, you gotta cut it free, but you could make a system that can see the bones and thicker connective tissue through the flesh to facilitate that.  If you just want it off the bones, some kind of system that causes a vapor explosion in the soft tissue might be faster.

On the other hand, there've been soft x-ray laser weapons tested that pass through flesh with comparatively little immediate damage but heat bones to the point of rapid disassembly or vapor explosion.  My understanding is that they don't pass through air well, so it's not really, you know, a particularly useful weapon.

This is all somewhat morbid, though.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
Oh I like "flense." *changes song title*

*still needs that 8-string*

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
Yes, flense is more correct here.

Also, makes a better song title.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.