Author Topic: Weird Medical News  (Read 15456 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Weird Medical News
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
It's too early to be certain, and I haven't seen this widely reported yet, but there's a guy in Germany who seems to have been cured of AIDS.

Guy had AIDS for over ten years.  They gave him a bone marrow transplant from someone who has a partial resistance to AIDS.  This isn't the first time -- it may be the third time the procedure has worked -- and they're not yet 100% sure it's worked.  If this method does work, though, it's the kind of thing that could probably be accomplished through gene therapy, and not necessarily require a transplant.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »
Don't be silly. The only way to cure AIDS is to get rid of all the ho mosexuals...

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:36 PM »
Don't be silly. The only way to cure AIDS is to get rid of all the ho mosexuals...

And the first way to do that is to make sure they can't get married and pass their genes onto their offspring. Way to take a lead on the fight against AIDS, California!!

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »
Well that explains a lot!
Shake your groove thing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
:lol:

I agree with the first commenter on that page, though.  Did they control at all for other factors?  I'm sure sleep-dep is a much greater factor than dietary caffeine, and sleep-dep people probably drink more coffee. 

There's actually some research that says that schizophrenics are prone to not only drinking booze but also coffee.  Weird but easily googled.  Makes you wonder about that guy who alway gets shouty when ordering at Starbucks.

Personally . . . I think I blame the crazy, then the sleep, then the habitualism (you get used to it, and that probably makes you more prone), and then the caffeine.  Although there are certainly days when the caffeine level probably gets a little too high.

I think I mentioned this before, but . . . I have some of that Shower Shock caffeinated soap, but I've never unwrapped it.  You can absorb caffeine through your skin much faster than through your digestive tract (hold not-too-hot coffee in your mouth if you want to get the caffeine out of it fastest), and I don't need to increase my odds of falling down in the shower.  I always mean to get a soap dish and try it as hand soap, though.

Still.  Potentially embarrassing.  'Can't sleep!  Washed my hands!'

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
I have caffeinated lip balm.  Eh.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
:hmm:  That might actually get me to wear lip balm.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 11:42:36 AM »
I have caffeinated lip balm.  Eh.

well damn. I want some!

/resolves to :smooch: :tal: more
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:09 PM »
Yeah, but the downside is that you'd have to stick to the lips.  :knotty:
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
 :D
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »
Not if the lip-balm wearer also washed in caffeinated soap! ;)

.... tangent: caffeinated lube  :trance:
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
They tried a caffeinated wang rub for men (er . . . I guess it would tend to be for men, now that I mention it), to make your ardor harder, but apparently the FDA made them take it off the market, or something.

[cue 'up all night' joke]

I also saw caffeinated nipple paint, in a catalog, once.  Long ago.  I don't entirely understand, but that applies to a lot of the things I've seen.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Speaking as an official old person, I would say that caffeinated sex hors d'oeuvres sounds like a great idea.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
Nail after nail in the HFCS coffin, although I suspect the corn industry will manage to keep the lid open for another decade or more. 

Just a few months ago, the chemical process by which HFCS damages the liver and pancreas was finally demonstrated, coinciding with another careful study linking it to obesity.  Now this study shows fructose-sweetened beverages significantly raise LDL and triglyceride levels in obese people while glucose-sweetened beverages don't.

The authors of the study were quick to emphasize 'fructose' vs 'high-fructose', and both common kinds of HFCS contain both fructose and glucose, but the implications are clear, in this case, and I'm sure the authors are just trying to reduce how much flak they get from the corn lobby.