Author Topic: Weird Medical News  (Read 16620 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Weird Medical News
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
Space headaches.

So much for my plan to move into orbit to battle migraines.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
This is great news but it's somehow retarded that it's really that simple.  Basically, researchers have found that if you take someone who has lost their vision due to corneal damage, slap some stem cells on a pair of contacts, and then have the patient wear the contacts for awhile, their corneas heal.  Significant improvement in as little as ten days.

It's cheap and easy and you don't even have to stay in the hospital.  Maybe stem cells really are almost everything they're cracked up to be.  Weird.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »
Very strange.

I wonder if it matters the type of honey. The real question I have is..how'd they get the honey to stay on? I've never rubbed honey on my skin, but I wouldn't think it would absorb like creams and such. Hmm.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »
Honey is allegedly good for your hair, but, I'm reluctant to try it. I've tried beer in my hair and that made it pretty happy. (The hair, not the beer.) Kind of expensive tho.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
Very strange.

I wonder if it matters the type of honey. The real question I have is..how'd they get the honey to stay on? I've never rubbed honey on my skin, but I wouldn't think it would absorb like creams and such. Hmm.

I'll give it a shot next time I have a break-out and report back.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »
I'm not surprised that honey works -- it works well for lots of topical applications -- but I know nothing about acyclovir.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if drug companies marketed a nothing-special treatment as a targeted remedy for a specific special malady, though, either.

Honey doesn't get absorbed into the skin much, I think, but it performs a number of important functions.  It prevents dehydration, prevents wound contamination (ie, it keeps other crud from getting into the affected area), and it's strongly antimicrobial.  The side-effects would be that it's sticky (and is good at staying sticky) and may attract ants, bees, etc.  :eek:  Not like you'd have to use a handful, though, and I suppose you could probably lightly powder it.  That might make it gum up, though.  Dunno.

But it's not so different from an OTC antibiotic cream, in a lot of ways.  Stickier and smells better.  :shrug:

I like that someone decided to test this.  Is it a folk remedy, I wonder, or were they just sitting around and dreaming up stuff to try?  I wonder if they tried peanut butter.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
And now I understand the origin of the game "Ants in the Pants."
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
Honey is allegedly good for your hair, but, I'm reluctant to try it. I've tried beer in my hair and that made it pretty happy. (The hair, not the beer.) Kind of expensive tho.

Just use the stuff you're saving up for Fizzball from obscure Norwegian drinking holidays.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Of course. They're not even faking it well. But it would be cool.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
almost as good as bleeding from the nipples

Um . . . his nipples or ours?

edit:  I do like how the doctors say 'We have no idea what this is.  It'll have to run its course.'

I mean, if the patient dies of it, then the symptoms will probably taper off.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
:hmm:

Can you die of fake ailments? I'm not ruling it out.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
New Scientist just had a little article on 'the nocebo effect'.

edit:  I should say that I totally believe that bleeding from the tear ducts, among other eye-ish places, is totally possible.  My recent eye injury had me (on the first night) bleeding from under my eyelid (ugh), which could certainly look like tears'o'blood, depending on what you expect tears of blood to look like.

That kid looked like he was using halloween makeup to simulate bleeding from the conjunctiva, but whatever.  Lots of people can blow air through their tear ducts (although, personally, I never would), and being 'able' to bleed from them would be easier than that.

I was just amused by the doctor apparently saying 'I don't know what's wrong with you, so just walk it off.'  The Middle Ages could learn a lot from that attitude.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:47:58 PM by random axe »