Author Topic: Weird Medical News  (Read 16616 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Weird Medical News
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
There was also that story claiming that liberal, atheist, monogamous men are statistically the smartest.  BUT I ALREADY KNEW THAT.

The story also pointed out that those men are less likely to breed.  I ALREADY KNEW THAT, TOO.

Except that agnostics are QED smarter than concluded atheists.  :harumph:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
There was also that story claiming that liberal, atheist, monogamous men are statistically the smartest.  BUT I ALREADY KNEW THAT.

The story also pointed out that those men are less likely to breed.  I ALREADY KNEW THAT, TOO.

Except that agnostics are QED smarter than concluded atheists.  :harumph:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1968042,00.html

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Yet another study confirms that the HFCS 'alarmists' were right.

Short version:  High-fructose corn syrup leads to far more weight gain per calorie than other sweeteners.  This isn't entirely surprising, as studies in the last couple of years were finally able to show how HFCS messes with the liver and pancreas.

Bonus:  HFCS in the diet produces obesity more reliably than a high-fat diet does.  And the HFCS produces particularly bad obesity plus high triglycerides.  Excess fructose ==> fat compared to excess glucose ==> glycogen.

Next up is how HFCS effs you up when it's in conjunction with a high-fat diet.  So the irony is that getting a Value Meal with a diet soda probably is significantly better than getting one with a regular soda.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Suck it, Corn Lobby!  :detta:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

pdrake

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
hey! i posted that same article yesterday on my FB page. good eye, axe.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
So did my other friend in Vegas,,,weird
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
Jewish Coke. It works bitches.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
HFCS haters of the world, unite!

Weirdly, this week, also, a study showing another newly discovered way that HFCS damages the liver and leads to insulin resistance.

This is why the corn industry has been pushing so hard for ethanol.  I think they've known for some time they're going to lose this one, and they could be the next screwed-in-court Big Tobacco.  Forty years of killing almost everybody and at least twenty years of knowing it and not saying anything = time to change the company name.

pdrake

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
So did my other friend in Vegas,,,weird

do i know your other friend?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
The one I was telling you about that did some Cirque work
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
HFCS haters of the world, unite!

Weirdly, this week, also, a study showing another newly discovered way that HFCS damages the liver and leads to insulin resistance.

This is why the corn industry has been pushing so hard for ethanol.  I think they've known for some time they're going to lose this one, and they could be the next screwed-in-court Big Tobacco.  Forty years of killing almost everybody and at least twenty years of knowing it and not saying anything = time to change the company name.

It's almost impossible to avoid unless you make everything from scratch.  It's an ingredient in almost anything in the grocery store, restaurant, etc.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 05:24:59 PM »
Well, it's easier if you're like me and typically eat only about five different things.

pdrake

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
it's not that hard to get rid of in your diet. the only things that i eat with it are a few different sauces that i don't care to make myself, ketchup, A1 some other things like that. i consume them so infrequently that it doesn't matter.

sometimes it's a pain trying to find something you'll like and sometimes it's a little more expensive, but i've also found some great stuff.

i found this strawberry/rhubarb jam that's so freaking good i couldn't believe it. i'll post a link when i get home. i think they make it on some farm near you flipper. i don't think it even has sugar in it.

oh, and if there's something you like that has HFCS i bet there's a natural way to make it.

i found a recipe for home made fiber one oatmeal chocolate bars. it called for marshmallow cream, but you can make your own with light corn syrup.

i'm not saying i never slip up and grab something or have a soda, but it's about 90% less than a year ago.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:32:38 PM by pdrake »

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »
oh, and if there's something you like that has HFCS i bet there's a natural way to make it.

I use Sugar in the Raw. Sparingly. People need to learn to back down on the sweets. The less of them you eat, the sweeter things taste. I refuse to eat the artificial stuff that belongs in Frankenstein's lab.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
I use the sucralose a lot -- in coffee, in other words -- just because of my teeth.  But sucralose is like the king of current artificial sweeteners.  There are consistently no adverse effects until you get at least a few orders of magnitude above a realistic daily dose.  Even I can't possibly drink that much coffee.

But for anything I'm not sipping all day long, turbinado / raw sugar is my favorite, followed by any good old-fashioned sucrose.  I still avoid soda 98% of the time, even if it's made with real sugar, because it's typically acidic.