Author Topic: signs of change  (Read 42178 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: signs of change
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2011, 05:09:45 AM »
Yeah, this reads like good news (although, tl;dr). I hope the case is successful. Maybe it will (help) prevent manipulation in food futures, which, from what I understand, is the new game.

If the gov doesn't slap these fuckers down, this is going to eventually lead to a class war reminiscent of the Civil War. Maybe that's what this country needs before anything can change. That reads like I'm advocating a revolution, but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say. When it gets to the point that average people can't afford food because the price has been manipulated just so the financial market has a way to support their way out of balance lifestyle, since they've already squeezed the blood out of every other source...

bleh... too early for this  :coffee:

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
I am going to have to disagree on the whole "average people can't afford food" part of your statement. It is getting to the point that average people are having to reevaluate their priorities with regards to their spending, but it isn't that they can't afford food. They simply can no longer afford to be casual about food.

For a large segment of the world's population the food budget is upwards from 50% of a family's budget. Americans have been living high on the hog and paying food costs that are completely removed from the real costs of the food. Pre-prepared foods are a luxury, and in the US they are a commodity.

So while the rising food prices are inconvenient for most, as long as someone is spending $100+ a month on Cable TV and other non-essential elements of one's lifestyle it is disingenuous to say one "can't afford food". We simply can no longer afford to eat with callous disregard.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #332 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that we're already at that point. It could take 10-20 years of traveling down the current path before it comes to that. And you're right that even then, Americans would still be in a superior position to the rest of the world.

Article on food product speculation.

I'd rather not have to give up my cable because a stock trader wants a new Mercedes.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #333 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
It won't matter if you can afford the food or not. It's going to be gone if we keep killing the honeybee population off.

Google it up:  honey bee deaths pesticides
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »
Yeah, the honeybee thing has been REALLY worrying me for awhile.

Around here, we're fortunate to have orchard mason bees (maybe they are elsewhere too, I don't know, I'm so PNW centric when it comes to gardening and wildlife) which can be encouraged to breed via what amounts to a block of 4x4 with little holes drilled into it. You put them up in your fruit trees, and then you get a little colony of them pollinating your fruit.

When I had fruit trees at my last long term residence, it was amazing the difference in the amount of fruit I had from the year I didn't put up the houses to the subsequent years when they took to incubating larvae in the wood houses I put up.

The honeybees are stressed. I had no idea when I first read about the decline that "beekeepers" actually transport them around to various crops to pollinate. That's slave labor, basically. I'd be tired and worn out too.  :(
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
My plan is to eat the rich.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #336 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
The honeybee thing was actually a joint venture between Monsanto and General Dynamics. The first wave of bee murders was just a test to insure that Monsanto's virus was effective. The capitol needed for R&D could not be raised until investors were certain the bees could be killed off. Once General Dynamic's honeybee nano-bots are ready to go on the market, the rest of honeybee population will be terminated.

/just made that up  :P

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #337 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
Jesus, doesn't anyone study history anymore?

Obama, it works like this, although you should've done this at least a week ago:  You announce you're going to meet privately with Top Republicans individually.  Name them in a fixed schedule.  Dare them to say no.  Use the damned media.  Explain that you're determined to make progress on this problem No Matter What you have to do.

Don't make asswipe Boehner first.  Or that jackass Cantor, either.

Then meet with the first one, and stick to generalities, but make it a fairly long meeting.  Hint that the GOP needs a shift in power, but don't get specific.  Repeat this with the second one.  Make Boehner and Cantor maybe fourth and fifth.  They'll wonder WTF you really talked about with the guys ahead of them.

Alternatively, talk to them first, like they'll expect, suggest that the GOP needs a new direction, act discouraged with them, and cut the meeting short.  Then do the other meetings as described above.  The effect is the same.

You keep letting these guys gang up on your.  They are a circle-jerk Boys Club.  They will absolutely steer the ship into an iceberg so long as they can stick together and grin while we sink.  Single them out and turn them against each other.

IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE.  I thought you were a reader.  :harumph:

All I can say is, when the economy really tanks, you better sure as shit be clear that this is their fault.  It worked for Clinton when Gingrich Stole Christmas.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #338 on: July 22, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »
He should hire you. I'm not sure what your title would be... maybe Evil Plan Adviser?

It was nice to finally see that he does have a temper, and it was a pretty appropriate time to display it.

It was also fun to see that bead of sweat on Boner's upper lip area as he gave his press conference. He had plenty of reason to sweat - he did a lousy job trying to shift the blame, and he appeared very guilty.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #339 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
Few things look worse on TV than a suspicious awkward Boehner.

Still, it's a personal victory for him if he didn't cry.

DisorderlyConductor

• Trusted
« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
I'm kinda hoping for the GOP to refuse to make a deal so a default actually does happen.

Don't get me wrong, the strife, famine and chaos from the resulting depression would be appalling.

Unfortunately, I think that's what it will take for North American culture to start shifting away from Capitalism.

DisorderlyConductor

• Trusted
« Reply #341 on: October 06, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »
Unfortunately, I think that's what it will take for North American culture to start shifting away from Capitalism.

I was wrong and I've never been so happy about it.