Author Topic: Misc  (Read 22061 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Misc
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
It's apparently rigged, but I don't know if it's as rigged as pro wrestling.  I can never tell how much the wrestlers are winging it.  Of course, I don't watch much wrestling.

:shrug:

I admit that I'm often curious just how much rigging (as it were) goes into major sports.  It doesn't seem completely fixed, which just makes it more complicated.  Are they just covering the spread?  Information a friend of mine got a couple of years ago accurately predicted the NBA playoffs that year in terms of who would win each series and how many games it would take, but not, say, which games would go which way.  I tend to think it's nudged, and only when they get into a really bad situation do they really give it a hard shove.

It seems like any hard shove to put the Lakers in the Finals would be a tad obvious, and that they'd want to avoid that, but of course they want the Lakers up in the top tier.  The notion of the fix definitely changes the game for a fan, but it adds something back, at least.  It's weird.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
Just saw the Erin Andrews voyeur vid. Not as exciting as hoped for...

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »
:lol:

I saw it too, out of obsessive curiosity, and . . . I gotta agree that it looks kinda staged.  What you do and don't see seems awfully (and conveniently) choreographed, unless I just saw the 'teaser' bit.  (I wasn't obsessive enough to look for more than the first version that the googles popped up.)

If it was entirely slimy illegal spying, well, maybe the publicity will be some compensation.  She didn't look bad, anyway.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
So . . . this intro bit here is just to set up my point . . . everyone talks about pro athletes being fierce competitors and loving the game and being obsessed with winning.

Well, in the NBA, there's been recent speculation that three of the top players in the league -- all of whom, for NBA reasons, could easily change teams soon -- could (not necessarily would) all simply take pay cuts and join the same team.  The players are Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and LeBron James.  It almost wouldn't matter which team they joined, as almost any team with all three would become an instant championship contender for about five years (maybe more) or until at least one of them left.

And none of them have won a title as yet.  Now, the Celtics recently managed a similar coup, adding two major players to a team that had one superstar and a young supporting cast.  They won the championship that same year.  The Lakers tried something similar.  It almost never happens, but it's an obvious strategy.

So why doesn't it happen?  Mostly because the players won't take a pay cut.

According to Sports Illustrated, Wade recently said, of the proposal, "I got two kids, man.  I got to think of them."  And I'm not dumping on Wade -- this is the constant mantra of NBA players.  And other pro athletes, too.  This is a guy who makes $16 million a year

WTF?  How much money do his kids need?  These guys talk up how obsessed they are with winning.  The irony is that the endorsement deals (which are often much more lucrative than the salaries) flood in when you win the title.  Agents have been pushing players into these huge salaries playing for teams that can only afford one huge salary and, as a result, can't assemble a good enough team to win.

I say come up with another excuse.  The I Have To Feed My Family thing makes you look stupid and like you can't handle your money.  I'd rather hear these guys just say they want every dollar they can get.

And when you wash out or don't even make the playoffs?  No whining.  It's your choice, man.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
I'd say that they are obsessed with winning - but it's not basketball that's defines "win" for them. I think they're spinning the statements, and leaving off the object of the sentence on purpose.

I've purposefully lost at a board game because I knew I couldn't win, but in doing so I could force another person to lose as well. I might not have been playing to win by most definitions but I did control the game more than even the winner did.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
I suppose there must be egoboo in being on a losing team BUT having a top-ten salary, but still.

Weaksauce.

I'm not saying it's for the best if most of the top talent is concentrated on two or three teams, and I'm not even touching on whether or not people deserve these kinds of salaries or what.  It's just (A) not jumping at the chance to be on a title contender, even if it means giving up 15% of your insane income, and (B) the lame-ass excuse invoked for it.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
The NBA is interesting that way since there are only 5 players on the court and they play both offense and defense.   Football you have 11 offense, 11 defense, kicking, and special teams.  Hockey they play O and D but the starters in NBA will often play 90% of the game whereas in Hockey they'll play maybe 40% and the other lines will get considerable playing time.  Baseball there are 9, soccer there are 11, and roller derby there are...  I think that basketball is probably the only one that could have a coup like that as there are probably only a dozen or so top tier players and getting three would really skew it.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 06:25:17 AM »
Baseball can almost be unbalanced as easily.  You can imagine the uproar and potential upset if, say, the three best pitchers in the league all switched to one team, or even the three best hitters.  Even if they didn't all manage to play as many innings as it would take to maximize their potentials, all the other teams would be denied their talents.

The NBA has a special extra bite just because it's almost impossible to referee -- there's so much going on, so fast, and so many potential things to call -- and so a lot of the officiating has to be fudged.  Intuitive, let's say.  And there's no question that on average the superstars get better calls (some more than others), so adding a superstar to your team can derail an opposing team in a lot of games.

And, yeah, the league's influenced, if not fixed.  That's kind of inevitable in pro sports, though.  There's too much money and drama involved to avoid that.

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
The only athlete I know of that took a pay cut was Michael Jordan when he played minor league baseball.  Any others?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Well, Stephon Marbury recently went from a few million a year to $200k a year to play in China because no one wanted him badly enough in the US.  But, yeah, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce all accepted paycuts so they could all be on the Celtics starting a couple of years ago.  None of them had ever won a title before, and they won that first year they were together.

They're not the only NBA players to do it, but they're probably the biggest three.  In the NBA, at least, players sometimes turn down the biggest deal on the table in order to play for a contender, but it rarely happens with the really big stars, and it's rarely a big cut in pay.  Still, it occasionally happens.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
I gotta say, and maybe this is just me, I don't care about Tiger Woods' apology.  He did bad things, and I think he IS a role model whether he wants to be one or not, and I think he ought to make a public apology and repudiation of his behavior before returning to the sport.

But . . . I honestly don't care about the details of his affairs, and although he obviously should get help if he can't control himself, etc, etc, I don't have a problem with him playing golf.  And I don't think his apologies or sins should be front-page news at this time except for some news sources dedicated to sports.

This is just not terribly important news.  People don't need to be talking about it so much.  There's, you know, actual shit going on in the world that matters hundreds of times as much.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
I totally agree.  I believe it is precisely because there are other things going on in the world more news worthy that things like this are made so out of proportion.  Smoke and mirrors keep the sheeple moving on to the slaughter.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

pdrake

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
yoplait has HFCS.  :thumbsdn:
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

Encino Man

• Trusted

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
Dang, and here I was thinking she was going on tour with Ice-T's band.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d