Author Topic: 100 Mile Border  (Read 7135 times)

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
Re: 100 Mile Border
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
The drug arrests scare me more than the rest since those require vehicle/person searches.  This sounds like they were just fishing for any charges they could find (for the $).  The drug arrests make it sound like they were searching everyone without probable cause.  Even if they asked if they could search, in a situation like that, you know that if you refuse, they're going to nail you for something else just because you had the audacity to refuse.

It's like this black Harvard professor who got arrested breaking into his own house because he mouthed off to the white cops.  The law doesn't matter, you're just not allowed to be uppity to the cops or you get either get BS tickets, or a BS arrest for that ridiculous catch-all of a crime, "disorderly conduct."
Shake your groove thing.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »
Hmm... I wonder what I wrote in this thread in the first place....
Shake your groove thing.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 05:09:46 PM »
Oh good, I'm consistent. :P
Shake your groove thing.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
Oh good, I'm consistent. :P

:galm:

I have the same problem
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
People in this state had a collective shit fit when the governor was proposing DUI "sobriety" checkpoints in 2008 and again in 2009, but the proposals never went anywhere.

And of course, the only group that testified against it in legislative committee hearing was the ACLU... the average citizen would probably tend to think "what a great idea" until they got pulled over and ticketed for a broken taillight and no litter bag.

It's completely a revenue boosting measure, more than anything.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
We have sobriety checkpoints here during the Christmas and New Years holidays. All over the city, as long as I've can recall. They hold up traffic for a few minutes but it definitely gets the assholes off the road who need to be off the road. They only check for drunkenness. I have never heard of them going any further with it - it'd be too time consuming when you've blocked off a major road. Plus - they give out Christmas coupon books when they pull you over and you're sober.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
Most places I've lived, after 10 PM on New Year's, if you park in one spot on a major street and keep your eyes open, you can catch as many drunk drivers as you have cops available to pull over anyway.  There's often no need, during drinking holidays, to stop and test people.  Just pull over the many lushwads who can't drive in a straight line.  If they turn out to be sober, give them a warning and let 'em go.

The drug arrests scare me more than the rest since those require vehicle/person searches.

This being Florida, it's entirely possible that half of those were people who had a 3' bong in their lap or a crack pipe on the dashboard.  But, yeah, the cops were obviously intending to fish, which is a big problem.

I hate the term 'probable cause'.  Probability is too negotiable and subjective to be a good standard for justification.  If the cops pull over 1000 people, and 100 of them get cited for something, is that probable enough?  John Paulos has done some work exposing the misuse of statistics, etc, in law enforcement, and it's creepy, retarded stuff.  Let's not go there, as a society, if we can help it.  I know courts often do have to (and quite reasonably can) basically trade on Cop's Intuition, but it should never be accepted just because.

Anyway.  I say, if the cops can do random checks, then we need stronger IA departments to do lots of random checks on the cops.  Quis custodiet nunc, bitches.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
We have sobriety checkpoints here during the Christmas and New Years holidays. All over the city, as long as I've can recall. They hold up traffic for a few minutes but it definitely gets the assholes off the road who need to be off the road. They only check for drunkenness. I have never heard of them going any further with it - it'd be too time consuming when you've blocked off a major road. Plus - they give out Christmas coupon books when they pull you over and you're sober.

They did this where I grew up on New Years.  I was pretty cool with it as it wasn't just a random dragnet like this FL one.  They were only after DUIs, and the city was awesome enough to pay for cabs that night as long as you were going home.  No coupons, though.
Shake your groove thing.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
Wild. I was just reading that.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
Well, we've gone through obnoxious police-state periods before.  I don't so much mean that in the sense that we'll come out of this all right and no harm done, but rather in the sense of I'm not too surprised.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
Thankfully, the Arizona House added "a prosecution exemption for people who drive illegal immigrants to church"

I was curious whether that part was a joke, so I went and found the bill and skimmed through it. I didn't see any mention of that, but in looking, I see it's a really harsh bill. Those people are pretty angry and want them brown people out of there. If I was a brown person, I'd be getting the hell out of there.

I also went back and looked at the preacher's video channel, to see if there were any updates on his case, but got sidetracked when I saw his video about long hair on men being a sin. Jesus did not have long hair. It don't say that in the bible. A man's head is christ. His woman's head is his head. Understand?  :nuts:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
Yeah, but what about Samson?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Speaking of which . . . so . . . Arizona, eh?

What pisses me off about this is that at the bottom this is really a management problem, and this country has massive ongoing management problems all over the place.  Frankly, I blame business schools.  I think they're teaching profit-making or something instead of business.  The business of America is supposed to be business, not money.

The immigration issue in Arizona is really three issues, the way I see it:

1)  Border control.  The bottom line is that the border is not under control.  I don't mean locked down; I just mean under control.  The how and why of this failure is a whole other set of issues at the state and federal levels, but obviously Mexico is not solving this one for us.  Blaming the immigrants is just a game.

2)  Civil control.  Because the immigrants are poor, insular, afraid of authority, etc, they're prone to crime and other issues that are obviously bad in the first place but which also tend to spread.  You have to be able to police the immigrant society once it's here (and getting rid of it entirely is simply an irresponsible pipe dream) to maintain peace and order.  If you have a huge underclass that regards the police as an enemy, you've already failed.  Of course, border states aren't the only place that has that problem, but it tends to be worse there.

3)  Asset management.  Immigrants are assets.  People are assets.  They can be trained and taxed; they can do useful things; they are consumers.  Humans are very flexible assets, too.  If you refuse to make good use of the immigrants, they wind up eating up welfare dollars and immersed in crime instead of being productive, taxable residents.  That's retarded.  And these assets tend to degrade after they get here if you refuse to improve them with training, medical care, etc.  That's even stupider.

The notion, too, that there are only so many jobs to go around is only true if there's no growth.  The influx of immigrants IS growth, and if Arizona otherwise has a falling population and failing economy, then Arizona's government is failing in exciting ways that have nothing to do with their failure to manage the immigration issue.

I'm not saying this is an easy problem to solve, but the traditional methods of prejudice (racist or not), exclusion, and oppression are complete failures.  It would be nice to see some effort in a more sensible direction that would be better for the country.  New York used to absorb ridiculously disproportionate numbers of immigrants speaking dozens of languages and from widely different backgrounds, and it wasn't perfect but it was more than merely possible.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »
I think it's because Stephenie fucking sparkle ass Meyer's CRAZY ballooned out and took everyone in Arizona with it. I floated that theory out the other night and got no argument. Seriously. Hot sun, lack of water, and S'Meyer stomping on crazy grapes mumbling about vampires. It all adds up.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."