Author Topic: Comics  (Read 10043 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Comics
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
Most of our comics discussion has been in "what have you been reading lately" so I figured we needed a dedicated comics thread.

And it looks like the top-scoring X-man is ... Wolverine! :galm:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
Re: Comics
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
Well, duh.  :drool:
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Heh. A friend of mine is dating a guy who looks like the sideburned one.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
I saw that guy in your fb pics.  Whoa.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »
I just saw an ad for the Superman: Doomsday animated film, and it said that The Death of Superman was the best-selling graphic novel of all time.

Wat.

Someone, please tell me this isn't true.  A multi-title multi-writer half-baked bathos-fest where Superman gets killed by a villain who can't even fly?  A villain that no one else could defeat even though he has no defense against magic or telekinesis or, say, a Green Lantern (except when it gets ahold of a Lantern's ring for itself :eyeroll:)?  A villain Superman could have just literally blown off the planet and let settle into its own orbit around the sun forever?

Oy.

Alan Moore wrote a good Death of Superman story back in the mid-80s. 

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »

This is humorous to me because more often than I'd like to admit I actually find great songs from commercials.

It's more than a little sad to admit to yourself that if it weren't for a Jetta ad, you would have no clue who Nick Drake was.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
:hmm:

I don't know who Nick Drake is.  I did first hear that Din Da Da song in a commercial, though, which may have been for a VW.

Indie cred is too trendy, anyway.  Not only are you cooler if other people don't know what you think is cool, but you're cooler still if no one knows you're cool.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
Yeah, where else is anybody gonna hear any new music nowadays? Radio's pretty bad now. The only places paying well for music anymore are movies, tv, and commercials. Therefore the whole endgame has turned toward achieving product placement in those kinds of work.

The standard record company contract has become even more restrictive than ever. They make a big cut of everything now...even touring and merch, which is where a fledgling band was expected to make their nut before, but now they're just fucked. But if you can get a song on House or Greys Anatomy or Transformers 3 or an Apple commercial, you're in like whoa, or at least as close as it gets from here on out.

Rather than go into another extended rant about the modern music biz, instead I present to you this story about the B.o.B. marketing hustle juggernaut. zomg, right? But that's the kinda shit you have to do to get over these days I guess. (He's the guy that did Haterz Everywhere We Go awhile back, an earworm classic)

(Oh and wait, are we talking George Kranz Din Daa Daa or Trio Da Da Da? The latter I probably heard first on "alternative radio" back in the day when the format was more adventurous, the former undoubtedly in some crusty warehouse)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Oh, yah -- "Da Da Da".  "Din Daa Daa" I probably first heard in a club when I was living in Florida.  (And I just typed "Mexico" for "Florida" the first time through.  WTF?  And that made me think of Billy Joel's "Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway".  :lol:)

The marketing / escape-your-contract thing just makes me think of TLC taking so much crap for going bankrupt years ago.  I saw them on VH1 explaining it, and basically it was touring so much that killed them -- instead of saving them -- because their contract required them to pay for almost everything themselves, plus promotion, and they didn't even get to make the business decisions.  They just had to pay for it.

They really killed the stereotype of the pockets-with-holes rich artist dumbass, too.  Not only did they have a good explanation for WTF, but they explained it perfectly AND did all the math, during the interview, without referring to notes.  And it was three percent here, sixteen percent there . . . I had to take their word for it, but it sounded right.

Man, Left Eye was cute, too.  :(

My brother listens to some kind of giant amalgam of college rock stations online, and he's constantly pushing new music at me, but I'm very lazy about it.  I almost need to be raped by a new sound before I give a shit.  I'm still happy with the music I've been listening to, and I don't have money for new stuff, so you've pretty much got to blow me away just to hold my attention.  Still, I do notice that a lot of the stuff he insists I give a listen to seems to pick up steam online or in ads at Hulu, so he must be slightly ahead of that curve.

I heard Tegan and Sara on the radio the other day doing their unplugged cover of Dancing in the Dark, and that was pretty good to hear.  And rare, since I mostly listen to Classic Rock.  :shrug:

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »
There's one Apple song that I really like that I'm surprised I like - it's all sunshine and rainbows.  Google says it's "New Soul" by Yael Naim.

Um, comics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
See if you can pick out what I use for my avatar on the Achewood forums.  Hint:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
That might just be my favorite Achewood ever. :detta:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »
http://www.lukesurl.com/archives/1534

This should go in a geek thread, but necromancy appealed to me.
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

pdrake

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »
well, decided it wasn't that funny after reading more. if you're curious just google "clarissa web comic". it's pretty dark.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:40:45 PM by pdrake »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.