Author Topic: nasty words  (Read 6094 times)

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
nasty words
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »
http://ask.metafilter.com/130191/talk-dirty-to-me

What are some words that sound gross to say/read/write?
*note: thread is not for the weak-of-words

"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: nasty words
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »
Smegma is a rare word that gets me.  Maybe partly because it sounds similar to Legba?  Partly just because of the combination of schwas and consonant sounds -- that /g/m/ produces a sort of glottal gasp if you say it distinctly.  A rare sound in English.

Also, smeg has a friendly sort of sound, by itself, so the mental contrast is fairly sharp.

Most words don't bother me.  Babytalk words (kaka, et al) are kind of horripilating, but I think this is mostly due to an aversion to talking to very small children, which is a social / cognitive thing for me.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
Oooh . . . I hate consummate as an adjective.  Once you learn the 'preferred' pronunciation, the word's ruined forever.  Every time I hear that, I want to slap someone.  Usually the person who said it, but not always.

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Most words don't bother me.  Babytalk words (kaka, et al) are kind of horripilating

I'm with you all the way.  Few words bother me.  But kiddie words annoy me.  I just don't like using such words amongst adults... sounds too childish or something.  Not sure how all to phrase it, but I'll try.

I never understood people who don't curse.  It's fun.  And to avoid it makes me think there's religiosity there.  I can understand skipping "God" and such, but to avoid words like "shit" on the basis of religion seems silly to me and sends up a flag on my radar.  Curse or be pegged religious and handled with kiddie gloves.  Work is obviously the exception.  And at some formal events I can see using a bit more decorum, but not using curse words generally signifies that we're keeping a wall up.  We're not really showing our true selves, and what kind of relationship can be based on that?

Beyond that, it almost feels like there's an air of condescension involved when an adult talks to another adult with words like pee and poop.  As if you're being talked to like a child.  I'm sure this is completely imagined on my part, but that's how it feels.

More, talking delicately around body parts or bodily necessities adds an uncomfortableness to the discussion where none should exist.  If you're tiptoeing around it, you're drawing attention to it.  Not to be sexist, but guys seem to have a lot less problem with this.  I suppose most women are brought up to be "dainty," or have "class," or... something, and so strong language is discouraged.  Usually the girls who can be "one of the guys" are the ones who have no problem cursing, and I for one, like that.
Shake your groove thing.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »
I curse a lot, but I don't like "piss" as it relates to urine.  I say "pee".  I didn't think that was a baby word.  I don't say "potty".
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
Interesting to note that a good deal of the list relates to fodily bunctions...

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:11 PM »
Cunt and Pussy are the two words I never say in mixed company. Pretty much everything else is fair game.

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
Clean versions:

Rat farts.
Acheewawa-george.
Mother Puss Buckets.
Got-Almighty-George.
Judas Priest Frank!

I have learned from another parent who thought wearing a t-shirt that said "Frak Me!" wasn't a problem until his kid said it and asked what it meant.

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:49 PM »
I think it's funny how many women dislike "moist".

I avoid "panties" and "pussy" myself. And "dick". Ugh. Not b/c I'm prude, just b/c I can't stand the sound of 'em.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:55 AM »
Wow. Never thought panties.

Most words that really make me ill these days are political or politicized. Ha!
I never, ever say cunt though.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 03:23:28 AM »
How about "quim"? Don't hear that one used much nowadays, haha.

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
As for me, I prefer "Mister Happy."

Okay, what *is* an acceptable intimate word for "down there" to  woman?

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
Oh, and I avoid "cum" too. ICK. "Come" is perfectly fine but "cum"... it looks wrong and skeevy and... like a disease, lol. "Cumming" is even worse! I think because my first reaction is "it's misspelled and looks stupid".

Okay, what *is* an acceptable intimate word for "down there" to  woman?

I dunno, honestly I haven't yet found a universally acceptable term that's explicit enough for proper dirty talk without being medical or yucky or cutesy. I've actually used it as a marker of compatibility before - does the other person's dirty talk jive with mine and neither of us put the other off?...

IME many women are okay with "pussy" and really really dislike "cunt". I actually prefer cunt so that's the term I use... it feels crisp and explicit without being sniggering (for some reason I don't have the "ultimate nasty insult" connotation attached to it, I'm not sure why, I understand why other people do)... to me, "pussy" sounds like 13 year old boys snickering in a locker room, I actually find that more insulting.

I'm very careful about saying it around others, though it seems to be a bit more acceptable coming from a woman than a man, I've noticed. Sort of like "bitch" (another word I avoid, but not b/c it makes me feel gross).

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »
How about "quim"? Don't hear that one used much nowadays, haha.

Funny you should say - I was recently reading a thread on sex scenes in romance novels and someone mentioned reading a scene where the author (either out of historical accuracy or looking for that elusive explicit-but-universally-okay word) used that term, and she was all like "what is this word? it sounds wrong, and icky".

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
Ha! I remember a bunch of "quim"s being flung back and forth between Tim Roth and John Hurt in Rob Roy.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d