Author Topic: teh gaze  (Read 2022 times)

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
teh gaze
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:29 PM »
So I heard this story on NPR today, about the "same-sex marriage debate."

My favorite line:
"It isn't about anything other than the definition of marriage, what it's going to mean to us and how it's going to be defined in society," says Marc Mutty, the executive chairman of Stand for Marriage Maine.

Mutty is on loan from the diocese, which believes that legalizing same-sex marriage will lead to a new curriculum in the schools.

"Many certainly feel uncomfortable about that, and about the fact that children as young as 7 or 8 years old are being taught about gay sex in some detail," he says.

So 7 year olds are going to learn about gayhomobuttsex in detail, but I can't show a uterus to a 10 year old in a textbook?

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
Re: teh gaze
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
:eyeroll:

I think we need a :facepalm: one too, defecto...

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:23:18 AM »
urrrrrrrrrrgh.

SHARK SMASH
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

TehPnuk

• Trusted
  • Sarcastic clapping.
    • joshuafrostphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:22:21 AM »
So 7 year olds are going to learn about gayhomobuttsex in detail, but I can't show a uterus to a 10 year old in a textbook?

Sex is dirty and unnatural. Like being a neocon.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:27:42 AM »
fuuuuuck...  :nuts:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

NexR

• Trusted
  • Jammin'
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:19:33 AM »
Sometimes men love men and women love women like mommy and daddy love each other.  The end.

Mucking Forons.
Shake your groove thing.

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Seriously, where do people get this shit?

Where do these hangups about sex come from?

People are so fucking sure of their shoulds they lose site of their humanity.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
It's not even the hangups about sex that bug me.  There's no reason why Marc Mutty, over there, needs to be comfortable with what other people do.  Fuck him.  It's none of his damn business, and I strongly doubt he gives a shit if everyone else is comfortable with whatever he does.

No, what bugs me is the routine insane This Will Lead To This bullshit.  If you want to add to the same-sex marriage legislation that kids can't be taught the mechanics of sex until, I dunno, they're 10, or something, then say so.  But unless the same-sex marriage rights advocates are specifically requesting that 7-year-olds be taught about two-dick sweatsports, shut the fuck up.

I mean, what I hate about these same-sex marriage opponents is the way they want all children under 10 to be rubbed down with axle grease in school!  I may be old-fashioned, but I just happen to think that that's inappropriate.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »
on a weekend shift at the old help desk a guy i used to work with was wandering around chatting with people. it was right after the canadian parliament had finally settled down and uniformly acknowledged gay marriage rights coast to coast. this guy is middle aged and from pakistan - a practising muslim if this informs his comments in any way. there was a lull in the general conversations so this guy pipes up so everyone can hears and says 'so did everyone see that gay marriage is now legal in canada? what's next? will I be allowed to marry my dog?' Most people just kept on working like they hadn't heard it. I actually really liked this guy. he tried really hard to fit in and it was hard to say if he really felt that or figured he'd become everyone's best friend for saying it. I think if it had been anyone else i would have walked off shift, come back in on monday, demand his firing or go to the papers. instead, cos it was him, i took him aside and rather than tell him why i thought he was fully full of shit i told him he could easily be fired for saying something like that. he was shift-leading at the time which made it worse cos it could appear the sentiment was coming from management. he was aghast and he never brought it up again. years later i mentioned to him about how there were three or four queers on our team and he was amazed - he never figured them for the gays. hahaha. but he had been friends with those folks before he knew they were the gay, and he remained buddies afterwards, so I'm guessing it wasn't really bigotry so much as trying to fit in. i'm just disappointed that he thought he had to say something like that to fit in with me!! haha