Author Topic: Stupid Questions  (Read 30025 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Stupid Questions
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
I bought Jello Biafra and The Guantanamo School of Medicine's new album White People and the Damage Done.  I love that title.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2013, 01:41:24 AM »
So I heard this song on the radio, and I was like, "Oh yeah, I haven't heard this in a long time... the Spanish horns will kick in here in a minute..." and then they never did. And it's not an old song, it's new stuff. The name of the tune is Projektion by a band called Girls Names. Apparently it's not a cover tune, but the melody sounds exactly the same as some other song that I can't put my finger on. I thought it might be Moody Blues, but I dunno, it might be something from the 80's or 90's.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Youtube
or
Soundcloud

Okay, don't know if this is it, but to me it sounded a bit like "Alone Again Or" -- originally done by Love (in 1967), but the version I'm more familiar with is by The Damned (in 1987). :shrug:

"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
YES
YES
YES

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

:nanaparty:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:44:24 AM by mo »
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2013, 05:43:41 AM »
Do you want to go for the bonus question of what movie was the song used for in the final credits?  :P

I thought it was a Wes Anderson movie, and apparently the Love version was used in his first movie Bottle Rocket, but I don't think I've ever seen that.

pdrake

« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2013, 02:06:23 AM »
i'm rewatching a bunch of star treks. i've notice a bunch of recurring things in all of them. one of them struck me tonight and i just thought, "what up with that?"

every time a shield is failing or they can't get a weapons lock or they can't get a transporter lock someone "boosts" the "field". why doesn't eh computer handle this automatically?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
Because adversity + conflict makes drama.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
They're stealing energy by turning off the air fans and the captain has to authorize it?
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
Superhero problems -- the ship is too powerful.  The ship's systems have to fail because it's so much harder to plot a story if the ship's systems all function properly. 

You can get away with these things once in a while, but too much and it's the once-a-month-kryptonite problem.  Marvel went through a LONG phase of having the X-Men always fight really stupidly against an opponent, lose, get depressed, get a pep talk, remember that they don't suck, and then fight properly and easily win.  That went on for like twenty years.  Maybe it's still going on.

Better writers -- which sometimes just means writers who are better suited to superhero stories -- can often devise plots where the good guys are more consistently at the top of their game.  Whedon often hit it out of the park, for instance, and he hired other writers who were often especially good.  Alternatively, you can come up with novel ways to temporarily limit overwhelming good guy advantages, like when Ben Edlund had the magic muppets turn Angel into a muppet.

Genre fiction is actually hard to do well.  A good place to start, though, is to not make your superpowers TOO super . . . which is why comic book continuities often go through phases where they reboot and weaken most of their superheroes.  :lol:

Part of the concept of Enterprise was weakening the ship's capabilities from the outset, FWIW.

pdrake

« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
have you seenthe avengers?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
Still not yet.  I'm still currently without the ability to watch streaming movies or, generally, DVDs.  But I hear it's good.

pdrake

« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
yes, it's good, but they don't get along and fight, get a pep talk, remember they don't suck, then defeat the enemy.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
There's a classic story that I'm trying to track down.  I read it in the mid-80s.  I had a vague idea it might be by H. G. Wells, but that isn't helping me find it.

It (probably) takes place in rural India.  There's only one man in the local community who has a rifle, and a tiger has been attacking people.  The guy with the rifle goes out to try to kill the tiger, but something goes wrong, and he ends up managing to kill the tiger with his machete.  Upon consideration, he shoots the tiger afterward to make it look like he killed it with the rifle, because he's got the only rifle in the area, whereas everyone has a machete.

Ring any bells?  The googles gave me all manner of things that had nothing to do with this story.  :shrug:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:53 AM »
There's only one man in the local community who has a rifle, and a tiger has been attacking people.  The guy with the rifle goes out to try to kill the tiger, but something goes wrong...

:hmm:

It sounds familiar up to that point, but that's all. Well, maybe the location too, but Thailand or Southeast Asia sounds more familiar. Maybe even a lion in Africa. I'm thinking foreign-made film, color, '50s-60's.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
It's possible it's been filmed, but definitely the point of the story is him pretending he killed the tiger with the rifle.

WAIT.  Google says it's "Tiger's Heart", by Jim Kjelgaard (who's better known for the dog novel Big Red). 

I found it by hypothesizing that it was by Kipling instead of Wells . . . and then putting each search term individually in quotes, because otherwise Google just searched for whatever it felt like instead of what I told it to look for.

Always the farking way.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »
It sounded like it was a Kipling story, or someone's re-interpretation of, but I'm always late to these kinds of queries. Glad you found it.
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."