Author Topic: Stupid Questions  (Read 31192 times)

pdrake

Re: Stupid Questions
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
i just bought a 14" carbon steel wok. it was 7.99. took me about an hour to season it and it's incredibly non-stick now. i found it at an international market. i really recommend them. you can find them online, too.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
I've got a 12" Scotch-Brite pad that I sit on pans with. As I watch my soaps, I just wiggle my ass to clean my pans.

:P

this is an image i will cherish forever.

That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »
LeCruesset enamel coated cast iron cookware is awesome.  I highly recommend.  It is expensive though.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »
OK, weird writing / style question, which apparently I have never run into before, and which I can't seem to figure out how to search for in online style guides.  I need opinions.

Dialogue, one speaker addresses two different parties in two sentences in a row.  Normally, you wouldn't start a new paragraph for each sentence, since it's the same speaker and there's no break in the speech.  But it looks stupid to me.

Example:

"You stay here," he told Adam.  "Do you want to come?" he asked Bob.

The only ways to fix this that I've come up with so far involve making the dialogue and/or writing less natural, and I hate them.

Example of forced exposition just to break it up:

"You stay here," he told Adam.
    He turned his head.
    "Do you want to come?" he asked Bob.

Example of comic book dialogue:

"You stay here, Adam.  Do you want to come, Bob?"

People actually rarely use each other's names that way in real speech (although it's kind of funny to talk that way . . . once in a great while), and usually it only happens to signal the reader who the hell someone's talking to or to remind them of the characters' names.  I don't like it, myself.

So WTF?  Now I'm at the point where it's not so much fixing it as that I want to know what people think is the right / standard / best way to deal with it.  Of course, maybe I'm the only one who thinks it looks weird in the first place.

pdrake

you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Yes.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

pdrake

« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
see, stupid question

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
OK, weird writing / style question, which apparently I have never run into before, and which I can't seem to figure out how to search for in online style guides.  I need opinions.

Dialogue, one speaker addresses two different parties in two sentences in a row.  Normally, you wouldn't start a new paragraph for each sentence, since it's the same speaker and there's no break in the speech.  But it looks stupid to me.

Example:

"You stay here," he told Adam.  "Do you want to come?" he asked Bob.

The only ways to fix this that I've come up with so far involve making the dialogue and/or writing less natural, and I hate them.

Example of forced exposition just to break it up:

"You stay here," he told Adam.
    He turned his head.
    "Do you want to come?" he asked Bob.

Example of comic book dialogue:

"You stay here, Adam.  Do you want to come, Bob?"

People actually rarely use each other's names that way in real speech (although it's kind of funny to talk that way . . . once in a great while), and usually it only happens to signal the reader who the hell someone's talking to or to remind them of the characters' names.  I don't like it, myself.

So WTF?  Now I'm at the point where it's not so much fixing it as that I want to know what people think is the right / standard / best way to deal with it.  Of course, maybe I'm the only one who thinks it looks weird in the first place.
*putting on English major hat*
One way is to replace the first pronoun with the proper noun and leave the second pronoun in place. That way it's clearer, but it looks fine to me.
But then again. My AP style guide has been gone for a lonnnnnnng time.
Y'all

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
:hmm:

You mean like:

"Adam, you stay here.  Do you want to come, Bob?"

That's more natural, at least.  I can think of a few other minor variations, but I'm not sure what I prefer.

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
That sounds fine if you're writing dialog.

I was thinking more like:

"You stay here," George told Adam.  "Do you want to come?" he asked Bob. ( with George replacing the first pronoun.)
Hm. that sounded a lot better in my head.

Y'all

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Yeah, it still looks like a paragraph break is missing.  But if you put the break in there, it's not clear that it's the same speaker.

:shrug:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
SO seems like 99% of people agree that old-school refrigerators, especially from the 50s and earlier, look great.  And it seems like around 80% of people (I did an informal poll) think all current refrigerators look terrible.

So WTF?  Get it together, idiot appliance manufacturers. 

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »
After you're finished with your scooter, why don't you post-retrofit an old fridge with new guts?
Or a keg?
Y'all

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
Actually, for quite awhile I SUPER-wanted to build an icebox by taking the cooling components out of my fridge, buying old-timey icebox latch hardware (still commonly available from suppliers), and making an insulated multi-door oak cabinet.  Partly because it wouldn't be hard to make it more insulated than a typical modern fridge.

But it would take a whole bunch of time, money, and space that I don't have.  And I'm not 100% sure I could transfer the refrigeration parts without breaking them.

So then I thought about just applying thin oak plywood over my existing fridge and replacing the do-nothing door handles with old-timey ones.  But my fridge doesn't work well, so it would be smarter to replace it . . . .

I did manage to buy brakes and useable springs for my scooter project, but I still need handles for operating those brakes -- seriously, it is easier and cheaper to buy a crap bike at a yardsale and cannibalize it than to buy bicycle parts.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, the springs I seriously wanted to use are porch-swing springs, and they look awesome, but they're just too stiff and would have done nothing.  Trial and error, consisting of about 75% error.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
That said.  My parents, until recently (curses!) had a 1940s fridge that worked GREAT and was in really nice condition.  Thing was built like a tank.  It wasn't frost-free, which is a minor pain, but it honestly didn't use that much electricity.  But getting it here from MA would have been tough.