Author Topic: Stupid Questions  (Read 26716 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Stupid Questions
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
I don't understand the relationship between the words apologist and apologize.

For example, see this page that is typical for describing the definitions of each.

What bothers me is that (based on the way I see it), you can be an apologist without making an apology, but the definition of apologist is one who makes an apology.

In the definition of apologist, the original definition of apology is used, but the definition of apology has come to mean something different. It originally meant to defend, but now the more common definition is to express regret. Two totally different things.

Am I seeing this wrong?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
:confused:

It says an apologist makes an apology or a defense.  It says that to apologize is to make an apology or defense or excuse.  I'm not sure what the conflict is.

Apology has multiple possible meanings, but to be an apologist doesn't mean you have to cover all those bases.  That said, the ways I see "apologist" used commonly these days are derogatory and vague, and it probably ought to be avoided.

English is really bad with these concepts, anyway.  Often, if you say "I'm sorry," people think you're expressing a sense of guilt or fault, which has nothing to do with what the phrase means.  It means "I'm sad" or "I hurt", sharing a root with words like "sorrow" and "sore".  In common usage, "sorry" has come to mean "regretful", which is a really stupid conflation -- although even "regret" really means to lament and to retroactively wish something hadn't happened.  It doesn't necessarily connote fault.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
Your analogy of "I'm sorry" is very similar.

To apologize is to express regret. To be an apologist does not require expressing regret at all.

You say  :confused: but your reply sounds like you understand exactly what I'm getting at.

the ways I see "apologist" used commonly these days are derogatory and vague...

Exactly. I see it being used to imply that a person explaining (X) is actually expressing regret or acknowledging fault with (X).
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
Well, see, that's the thing.  To apologize can mean to express regret and can mean to acknowledge fault, but it doesn't have to mean either of those things.

It's bad enough, but "apologist" should just be avoided.  Unless you're being sneakily derogatory, and then it's fun to use because it's vague enough to be defended but just sounds negative.  :P