Author Topic: Random Reviews  (Read 190192 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Random Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
He's in a skyscraper when the power goes out, and then he goes down the stairwell?

Yep.  That's the one.  And it's pretty Hitchcockian, as they say, but, yeah, not actually Hitchcock.

pdrake

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
OK . . . I just finished watching this movie called The Signal, and I'm glad I finished it before midnight because it was -- seriously -- one of the best movies I saw this past year.  And I saw it on a total whim after just happening across it at Netflix.

haha, i just watched that last night. i liked it, too. i watched it on a whim as well. i think i googled something and saw it. it was a neat take on the zombie genre.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:54:04 PM by pdrake »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »
It's just sad that a movie like that was so obscure, whereas, say, the really pretty mediocre Blair Witch Project was the media's chew toy for weeks on end.

What about that recent one with the haunted apartment?  I haven't seen it yet.  Was that actually good, or was it just a media darling?

pdrake

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
It's just sad that a movie like that was so obscure, whereas, say, the really pretty mediocre Blair Witch Project was the media's chew toy for weeks on end.

What about that recent one with the haunted apartment?  I haven't seen it yet.  Was that actually good, or was it just a media darling?

turned if off after about 1/2 hour. it was boring for me. i think the whole viral marketing thing was more interesting than the movie.

oh, i should add i don't watch and can't stand ghost hunter type shows. nothing is more boring to me than watching people in green night vision looking back over their shoulders at the camera whispering to it. it makes them look stupid and is an insult to people.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:27:30 PM by pdrake »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
Yeah, I gotta agree with that.  Ghost hunting itself interests me, but most ghost hunters are just crap, and their shows aren't any better.  You're almost certainly not going to capture anything inexplicable on camera, but don't drum it up with bad nightvision and bullshit.  A show about ghost hunting is really going to be a show about ghost hunters and ghost history more than a show about ghosts.  The ghost hunters have to be interesting, not just puffed up.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
I saw The Young Visiters, which requires a brief explanation:  In the late 19th century, a young girl named Daisy Ashford and her sisters used to make up stories to amuse themselves and their parents.  Their parents took to writing these stories down, and when Daisy was nine she decided to write her first novel, The Young Visiters, which she in fact wrote down herself in a notebook. 

It's a romantic comedy of manners in which an ironmonger tries to enter the ranks of nobility in order to propose to a young woman.  Complications ensue, but the real charm lies in a 9-year-old's naive views of Victorian upper class life and how adults behave in matters of romance.  A lot of it is simply charming, and a lot of it is unintentionally funny.  Daisy stopped writing while she was in her teens, but, after her parents passed away, one of her sisters found the manuscript, and eventually it was published around the end of World War I.  They even kept many of Daisy's misspellings.  The publisher got J M Barrie (author of Peter Pan) to write an introduction, and the perhaps predictable result is that everyone thought it was a hoax and had really been written by Barrie.

The book has allegedly never gone out of print, although it's less common in the US.  I used to have a copy but (d'oh) never read the whole thing.  It's been turned into a play, a musical, and at least two films.  The film I saw is the most recent, starring Jim Broadbent and Hugh Laurie and Lyndsey Marshal (who might be best known as Cleopatra from the recent HBO production Rome), as well as Bill Nighy, excellent as a boozy earl. 

I'm told that this version isn't all that true to the original, but it's pretty damned funny (and slightly sad) and quite beautifully done.

Unfortunately, either Netflix or the Silverlight player is bollixed up lately, and everything I try to watch is slightly garbled.  In particular, it skips ahead about one second every thirty seconds or so, on average, and sometimes in little clusters of jumps.  Extremely annoying.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
Our library system has both the book and the movie you saw.  HOLD'D!
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
That's funny Axe, because I have several friends who were in The Signal.  The only one named in the credits was
Kalina McCreery - Tongueless Woman (as Kitten McCreary), but another one, Jill Brandenburg, played one of the numerous people that get killed.  She's briefly seen in the trailer.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
I have several friends who were in The Signal.

:shock:  Sweet.  Seriously, I liked that movie.  I can't tell how much of it is that I liked it and how much is that I was so surprised by how well-done it was (because it was such a random pick that I never heard of), but I'm sure I'll watch it again in the next six months.

I really hope all those people who worked on it keep making movies.

pdrake

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 03:27:50 AM »
it was a few years ago, i have no hope for more movies by them. good, well thought out, cheap and insightful movies are so far and few between these days. i may just be spouting my cynicism, but mainstream movies play to the masses. (saw . . . .sssss, friday the 13th . . . ssssssssss, aliensssss, freddies . . . . . chuckiessssss . . . .

geeze, you know, the freaking clown in king's it movie was a little original because it wore just normal makup. well, normal clown makeup. plus some pointy teeth. would've been better if it was a giant spider clown with tim curry's face . . . but, whatever.

i'd like to make bucketfulls of money. i really would. i'd like to think that once i had a bucket or two, i'd make some stuff i like. i know there's some people out there that do that. i'd be one. don't know if anyone here has seen ink, but that's what i'd put my money into. i didn't really care for the movie too much, but it was very, very well made. good story and good cinematography and especially good effect considering their budget. just left me flat as a viewer. i've heard it's a little of "like it or love it" move. i loved the ideas and originality and the production. i didn't really love the depth of the story. i don't know if that makes sense. sorry, that's not what this post is about. more vodka . . .

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
Garden State . . . I dunno.  It had a lot of nice moments but was pretty random and generally really uncomfortable.  I like Braff, and he seems to be a good enough director, but the whole thing seemed (if you will) like an unfocused existentialist exercise in dread, with weird unformed social commentary (mostly about money) and a lot of dog genitalia.  I don't think I believed the ending, although I wanted to.  The film constantly felt like it was going to end with him going back to California and killing himself, with possible other deaths thrown in.  And the humor in it is a little too random, really. 

The cast is good, though, and it's always nice to see Natalie Portman in something more natural than the Star Wars prequels.

Too depressing, though.  :shrug:  I kept wanting to shut it off.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
Devil's Backbone.  It was good, but it didn't strike me as great.  In fairness, I've seen too many movies lately that revolved around the Spanish Civil War, and while Devil's Backbone is certainly well-made, I didn't think it was quite as good as Pan's Labyrinth.  And not as good as The Orphanage (although that doesn't take place during the Spanish Civil War.)

Tripper

• Trusted
  • Go ahead, make my millennium
    • Benson-Photo
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 07:58:27 PM »
I don't think much can touch Pan's Labyrinth on either side of it's story.  I'd love to hear Guellermo Del Toro talk about it.

And this from my friend who was in The Signal - SWEET!!! Thanks. Did they watch it on DVD? If so, did they watch the bonus features? (Yeah, I am conceited enough that I want more people to watch The Hap Hapgood Story. :-) )

I don't know what the Hap Hapgood story is.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
I'd love to hear Guellermo Del Toro talk about it.

In the commentary for Pan's Labyrinth, he talks about both movies -- so don't listen to the commentary unless you've seen both.  He says that Backbone is his favorite of his own films and that it's the "masculine" counterpart to the "feminine" LabyrinthBackbone is compellingly told and beautifully acted and shot, but it's less personal and . . . sort of . . . less imbued with a heavy depth than Labyrinth.  It's less dreamlike, too, but I don't know that that's a weakness.

I actually felt that some of the fantasy elements of Labyrinth either didn't quite work or didn't quite go far enough, but it was so gorgeous visually and so cleverly conceived that it's just amazing.  I think Backbone is more personal to del Toro and one of his idols, a Spanish comic book illustrator who did at least some of the storyboards and who one of the characters is partly based on.  The story is also partly based on some stuff from del Toro's own childhood and family.

I saw The Signal on Instant Play -- it was one of the last things I managed to see that way before that stopped working for me -- so the DVD extras weren't available.  I may still buy the DVD when I get some extra money, though.

The Hap Hapgood Story, as I understand it, is a short indie horror film (serial killer mode) made by at least one of the guys who directed The Signal and starring one of the same actors.  A little bit of it is shown at the beginning of The Signal.  That's all I know about it at the moment.  It looked unusually gritty but it had shaky hand-camerawork, which, as everybody knows, usually doesn't work for me.  But I haven't seen it yet.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Our library system has both the book and the movie you saw.  HOLD'D!

I got The Young Visiters (the book) today from the library.  It's making me giggle. 
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job