Author Topic: Random Reviews  (Read 193736 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Random Reviews
« Reply #3480 on: May 21, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »
I never saw Tropic Thunder. The trailers just didn't appeal to me, but if you guys say it's good, I'll give it a chance ... it's on Netflix  :thumbsup:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

pdrake

« Reply #3481 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Is there anyone Tommy Lee Jones likes working with?
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3482 on: May 21, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
Horses, Al Gore, and that might be it.  :nonplused:

He's friends with Robert Duvall, and I can imagine them working together, but I don't know if they ever have.  He's also friends with Willie Nelson and . . . Gary Busey.  I can't imagine him working with Busey, though.  :lol:  I heard once that he and Clint Eastwood liked each other, but they haven't done a lot of movies together, or anything.

He's definitely a weird guy.  He likes acting, likes being in his own private element among people he knows, and otherwise he hates attention.  He seems tough as nails and really insecure, but it plays well on the screen.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #3483 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
I never saw Tropic Thunder. The trailers just didn't appeal to me, but if you guys say it's good, I'll give it a chance ... it's on Netflix  :thumbsup:

Tropic Thunder is a masterpiece!  Watch it!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3484 on: May 22, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
I didnít hate it  :redface:

I just canít get into that kind of comedy, I wish I could. I mean, itís amusing, it has its moments, like the panda hat and the twig Oscar, I really appreciate the ridiculing of the tropes, but I donít think I ever laughed out loud, and I laughed out loud watching the (serious) news last night. I guess Iím kind of like Tommy Lee Jones - I canít sanction the buffoonery  :P

I donít know how to explain it, itís like theyíre trying too hard to be funny. I couldnít do any better, or even anywhere near as good, it just doesnít strike me as funny. I do enjoy a lot of comedy, just not this type, and Iím not even sure what type that is. I loved Something About Mary, and Cable Guy, so itís not like I donít like Stiller. Downey is great, and Iím not a big Jack Black fan, but I thought he was exceptional in this. He kept reminding me of someone, and I think it was either Jesse Ventura from Predator, or Peter Jason from one of the million of roles he has played over the past 50 years, maybe 48 Hours. And I agree Cruise is funny here (I think the makeup helps a lot though).

Itís not about the cast, and itís not that I donít like silly stuff. Itís like Zucker & Abrahams - I love most of their stuff, but some of it just doesnít work for me at all. I wish I could put my finger on it, but on the other hand, itís best to not over-analyze comedy (too late).

Unrelated, TIL Keegan-Michael Key is going to be in The Predator 2018  :hmm:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3485 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »
Taste surely matters.  I couldn't get into The Cable Guy, and the only scene in Something About Mary that made me laugh was when they were arguing over which one of them was the biggest stalker.

There's something about Stiller, to be honest.  I often have to see his films a second time to be really impressed -- which is not an attempt to get you to try Tropic Thunder again.  Zucker/Abrams movies are kind of the same; the jokes are somehow funnier when you anticipate them or forget them and then are reminded.  Then you get to show them to someone who hasn't seen them, and the anticipation increases.

But, for instance, I really was not impressed the first time I saw big chunks of Zoolander, but then I happened to see it again, and it was hilarious.  On the other hand, that didn't work with Starsky & Hutch:shrug:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3486 on: May 24, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I don't think that would help, except maybe if we go into nostalgia range. And sometimes that even works against a film, for example, I couldn't sit through The Cable Guy, or Something About Mary now.

I like silly, I like absurd, I like clever, but when it goes heavy into 'clowning' territory, I usually don't find it as funny as others around me (do). It probably goes back to a clown experience in my childhood.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #3487 on: May 27, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »
I actively dislike Ben Stiller but somehow have enjoyed several of his movies.

Mystery Men is one of my all time favorites and, god help me, I laugh like an ass at Zoolander. Tropic Thunder was also amusing.

We went to see Solo today and I gotta say I liked it. I think it was better than The Last Jedi because it focused on a much smaller story.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3488 on: May 29, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »
I really want Solo to be good, but I dunno.  I think I'll probably have to wait for the next generation of Star Wars films, just like with Star Trek.

They do make me admire and appreciate the Marvel films even more, though.

pdrake

« Reply #3489 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
i've only seen and heard good things. even from people who didn't like the other new stuff.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3490 on: June 02, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
Netflix mysteriously sent me Teen Boxer, aka Kickboxing Academy, possibly because it has Chyler Leigh, who was very good in Not Another Teen Movie, which I rated fairly highly.  I guess?  Or because I like kung fu movies, and Netflix takes a broad view?  Or maybe it was a computer error? 

Maybe just because they're trying to get out of the DVD biz and want to irritate subscribers.

To hell with it.  I put it on while I was packing up books, and, uh, OK.  It was made by a guy named Richard Gabai who seems to be one of those West Coast stalwarts who will act in, write for, or direct anything he can get, which usually means something that airs in the middle of a Saturday afternoon or at midnight or later on a Thursday.

Teen Boxer is one of those movies that seems like an especially competent, if not especially good, amateur film.  The actors have memorized their lines, but not particularly rehearsed them, and many of them (I say this kindly) can't really act.  The direction is of a Get This Film Finished type, and so some of the cast seem to think they're in an After School Special and some think they're in Three Ninjas IX: Can You Believe They Still Make These? 

Most of the humor plays like it was lifted from scenes rejected from a late installment in the Police Academy films, and many subplots and characters seem to have wandered in from elsewhere, often wandering back out again.  There's a stoner / con artist / skateboarder (who never skateboards in the film) who makes a decision late in the movie to 'help his friends' at the kickboxing academy, even though the film hasn't suggested that he even knows them.

A few professionals float through the film benevolently.  Steven Bauer plays a narcissistic business dude who might be a jerk / bad guy or might not -- the film doesn't seem to know.  Donna Barnes plays the Good Coach in a valiant effort.

The plot is We're Gonna Lose Our Clubhouse (er, Kickboxing Academy) If We Don't Win The Fairly Big Tournament angle, and the way it's written makes no sense, not that that matters.  There's a hilariously inappropriate backstory about a nine-year-old DYING in a kickboxing competition, and yadda yadda.

Chyler Leigh plays a kickboxing student / trouble girlfriend who doesn't do any kickboxing to speak of, despite what the marketing would have you believe.  Instead, she has a hard time deciding between a teen boy who's obsessed with cars and a teen boy who's obsessed with not kickboxing anymore, but who is (shockingly) the hero of the hour who comes back to fight in the big tournament after all. 

He's also the one who gets the girl, which is awkward because he's played by Power Ranger Christopher Khayman Lee, who's actually Chyler Lee's older brother, which is the #1 thing the internet knows about this film.  And it makes the scenes of French kissing more peculiar.  Still, this is a very West Coast film.

The humor and exposition in this film are (A) painful and (B) mostly but not entirely suitable for eight-year-olds.  The kickboxing varies from risible to passable.  No adult really has a need to see this film, but . . . I do have to say that it's pretty competent aside from the writing and direction and acting, which is not exactly a backhanded compliment.  Money was not lavished on this film, and most of the cast appeared in no other feature.  I give them a pass.

Really, this mostly looks like the kind of film that either never gets finished or that is shot and edited atrociously.  And it's not.  Lord knows, it's not good, but it has that quality of not being a trainwreck.  It looks like a rushed one-time-airing made-for-TV film meant to fill a space, or like a vanity project, or something similar.  And it's a kids' movie.  And for that, it's pretty competent.

Weirdly, it was apparently released in 1997 and then released again in 2009 on DVD.  Because Chyler Leigh got fairly famous, I guess?  Amusingly, the DVD cover shows a little East Asian kid, throwing a punch, more prominently than anything else, and that kid doesn't appear to be in the film.

Chyler and her brother were also on a short-lived TV show called Safe Harbor, and I'm hoping they weren't romantic interests on that.  :whatever:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3491 on: June 02, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
Netflix mysteriously sent me Teen Boxer, aka Kickboxing Academy, possibly because it has Chyler Leigh, who was very good in Not Another Teen Movie, which I rated fairly highly.  I guess?  Or because I like kung fu movies, and Netflix takes a broad view?  Or maybe it was a computer error? 

Their streaming suggestion system is not terrible, but it doesn't seem to be able to keep up with what you've already watched, or maybe more accurately; it doesn't care what you've already watched, because it keeps a list right there in your account.

To rate a movie, my only choices are  :detta: or  :thumbsdn:

For an educated guess at what I might like, it would need to present me with a questionnaire with check boxes of what I did or didn't like about each movie I watch. 

:thumbsup: :thumbsdn: Genre
 :thumbsup: :thumbsdn: Acting
 :thumbsup: :thumbsdn: Writing/Dialog
 :thumbsup: :thumbsdn: Etc.

:hmm: Such a list surely exists somewhere, I'd like to see one. It would be a better way to rate films, as opposed to an overall percentage system.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3492 on: June 02, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
True, true -- but the ultimate way to rate films, with current technology and given enough context, is the MovieLens system, which is what Netflix originally more or less copied.  Even just a range of Yes / Meh / No is enough to predict what you'll like . . . if you rate several dozen films. 

The system just compares your likes and dislikes to five thousand other reviewers', and from there it can extrapolate pretty reliably.  If you liked 33 out of 35 comedies that 200 other reviewers also all liked, and they additionally all liked this comedy you haven't seen, odds are strong that you will like that comedy.  And so on.

MovieLens used to have (and probably still does) a bunch of other cool features.  For instance, you could take three MovieLens users and tell the system that they wanted to get together and watch a horror movie none of them had seen, and the system would say Here's a list of horror movies none of you have seen that you'll probably all enjoy.

But Netflix has moved away from that kind of a rating system and steadily reduced the auxillary features . . . for business reasons.  The more vague their rating system is, the more vague their suggestion system can be, and the easier it is to slip in stuff they're pushing regardless of whether you're liable to like it.

Frankly, I think this is stupid, since customers (A) don't pay per item viewed and (B) should be kept happy with the service.  But anytime an exec agrees to pay a hundred grand to option the streaming rights to some terrible film, they gotta make sure a whole lot of subscribers watch it.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #3493 on: June 02, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
But anytime an exec agrees to pay a hundred grand to option the streaming rights to some terrible film, they gotta make sure a whole lot of subscribers watch it.

:lol: So that explains it. Yeah, their promotion has gotten less subtle in the short time I've been watching.

Here's an example of their suggestions, if you've never seen it. Genres is a major part of it, but there's a lot more going on there, in some cases, like the Gervais link shown here. But the example above it shows a recommendation to Encounters with Evil, a pretty crappy rehash documentary about serial killers because I watched Evil Genius, which is a pretty amazing documentary. Same genre, but totally different ballpark.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3494 on: June 05, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Horses, Al Gore, and that might be it.  :nonplused:

He was Al Gore's roommate at Hahvahd, and he said that everyone was terrified of Tipper. Ha.

He's friends with Robert Duvall, and I can imagine them working together, but I don't know if they ever have. 

Weren't they both in that interminable Lonesome Dove miniseries?
I couldn't watch it. And I despised the book.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d