Author Topic: vacuum pump  (Read 6955 times)

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
Re: vacuum pump
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
I haven't learned the investing parts - I have too much fun with the hammers and saws. My guess is the pump's motor could be the cause, though, just because it's likely manufactured assuming that nothing will come from the vacuum side ever (the "everybody's perfect" fallacy).
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

pdrake

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
well, after some research i've learned that getting the dust and investment particles is a common enough occurrence that the filters in the vacuum line are made for that. i thought it was for moisture. my incident was an extreme case. i'm just going to order the oil made for it and a new set of filters from the jewelry supply place.

the motor is fine and i'm happy about that. if that had froze up i'm sure i wouldn't have been able to fix it.

i'll just spend the next couple of days cleaning the old oil off of all the parts. it was milkshake consistency anyway because of all the moisture that had gotten in it. i guess it's something you have to deal with when you buy used equipment. still, for $150 i think it was a deal.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
Yeah, that was good. If nothing else, you're learning upkeep which should help down the road.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »
This Sort of Thing is my Bag Baby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WCvULMRUq8

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »
This Sort of Thing is my Bag Baby

You're opening yourself up to a lot of small-penis jokes there, my friend.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »
This Sort of Thing is my Bag Baby

You're opening yourself up to a lot of small-penis jokes there, my friend.

That's not my bag baby.

pdrake

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
these are the pieces of the pump. on the right you can see my bronze casting of an inline filter.

you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
Your workbench is an upside-down keyboard drawer on top of a lawn chair, isn't it?

I like that.

pdrake

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
yes, i hate keyboard drawers.  :lol:

not really a workbench, just a flat, clean surface to put parts on. see how i don't throw stuff away.

pdrake

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
i put it back together and it froze up again. i guess it doesn't take much to stop it. took it apart, cleaned it all again and hit all the edges and parts that touch with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit. i could feel the very small flaws on them. wish me luck, starting it up after i finish filtering the oil. didn't want to put it back in after taking it out from a frozen pump. good thing jeopardy is on while that slowly filters.

pdrake

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
purrs like a kitten.

now i just have to replumb my table. that's really easy. just putting new hose on the fittings.

pdrake

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
hmmm, doesn't seem to pull the same vacuum it did before.  :nuts:

i may just buy another. there's a few on craig's for less than a hunny.

it'll do for awhile i guess.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
The vacuum is to get the bubbles out of the investment, right? I wonder if there's anything you can do to make the surface tension lower without messing up the other physical properties...

pdrake

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
it's for that, to get bubbles out of molding compound and to draw air through the flask.

the motor works great and i can turn it into a magnetic spin polisher. i'm sure you're familiar with those. all i need is some plywood, some rare earth magnets a couple of "L" brackets, screws, some other stuff (gotta look it up). they cost over $500, so i think i can get off okay.

derp der derrr

pdrake

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »
i just feel really stupid and ignorant about all this stuff these days. my dad knew all about it.