Author Topic: Crockpot Roulette  (Read 5919 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Crockpot Roulette
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
wow, that sounds pretty good. would you squeeze fresh lime on it?

Yep
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
The verdict: overcooked, kind of dry and bland  :(

The recipes I looked at said 6-7 hours, and I was gone for 10 hours. I guess I need to plug it into a timer next time. Flipper, if I followed your recipe I'd end up with pork jerky. 20-25 hours?

I dumped a bunch of the Chinese mustard in there, tying to salvage it, and that spiced it up a bit. It's definitely edible, but not what I was hoping for. I've noticed the crock pot cooks the flavor out of things - like the soy sauce flavor - it's very weak compared to the sauce when it started. I noticed the same thing when I made a pot roast with the onion soup. The whole house smelled like onions, but the roast didn't taste oniony at all. The lid just kind of floats on there. I don't know if that's intentional, or maybe I just have a crappy crock pot.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
Not enough liquid in and if the lid is not keeping the steam in it's not tight enough.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »
:hmm:

That does sound like the wrong lid. Lid should be domed so moisture that evaporates condenses and drips back in rather than escaping.

It's tough to figure out exactly how much stock to use (or what kind, in the case of pork: I use chicken).
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
The lid is domed, it's just not a tight fit, and there was plenty of liquid still in there.

Part of the problem might have been that I wasn't here to stir it, so all the liquid just sat in the bottom. The chops on top were what were dry (around the edges).

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »
Hmm. In that case I'd agree your first assessment was right, you just had it in there too long. I'm surprised by the flavors departing, though, that's not what happens to me and I've done some loooooong crocking. However I'm pretty liberal with the stock and almost completely cover the meat. Flip it, too.

I have a really fantastic braised green chile salsa pork roast recipe from Sunset that uses a crockpot as the first step then finishes in the oven. It doesn't use that much liquid and it tastes dyn0mite. I will try and transcribe it.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
You can definitely overcook in a crock pot. I have never really tried to cook anything other than fairly thick cuts of meat in the CP. So unless you had the mother of all chops that might have been part of your problems

Another issue might just be the cut. Chops are remarkably free of connective tissue and fat - both things that fair well in a CP. Chops are made for quick cooking. Next time try country style ribs and you might do better.

Better even than that, a good sized chunk of pork butt. Mmmmmm.

Chops might work well with apples and onions. Also, if you are going to be gone for more like 10 hours - put them in frozen maybe?
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

pdrake

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
i don't have a crock pot. well, that's not true, i have one i use for dewaxing flasks.

i've always slow cooked stuff in my dutch oven. i guess it's not really the same as i don't think i'd put that on and leave it for any long abount of time.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »
I cooked a Boston Butt a few weeks ago, and I made the mistake of just cooking it plain - just salt and pepper. I was thinking it was so much meat that I might want to do different things with it like not make it all barbecue because I'd get sick of it before I could eat it all. I thought I might make some pork tacos and... well that was about the only other idea I had in mind  :P I couldn't think of anything else. I added barbecue sauce to some of it, and it was okay, but not great. I stuck the rest in the freezer, but I've got it in my mind that it sat in the fridge too long (a day or two) and I'll probably end up tossing it. I don't like pork that isn't really fresh - it has a flavor that I really don't like.

I saw so many recipes online for chops in a crock pot that I thought it must be a pretty common thing to do. I was kind of surprised myself.

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
I have a "double" crock pot. There's a normal size pot and a halfsie pot cast into the same bowl. I never use is and should probably Craigslist/Freecycle it. You can cook two things at once which is handy. In theory. I never have, but I've spent most of the time I've owned it moving so .....
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

pdrake

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »
I cooked a Boston Butt a few weeks ago, and I made the mistake of just cooking it plain - just salt and pepper. I was thinking it was so much meat that I might want to do different things with it like not make it all barbecue because I'd get sick of it before I could eat it all. I thought I might make some pork tacos and... well that was about the only other idea I had in mind  :P I couldn't think of anything else. I added barbecue sauce to some of it, and it was okay, but not great. I stuck the rest in the freezer, but I've got it in my mind that it sat in the fridge too long (a day or two) and I'll probably end up tossing it. I don't like pork that isn't really fresh - it has a flavor that I really don't like.

I saw so many recipes online for chops in a crock pot that I thought it must be a pretty common thing to do. I was kind of surprised myself.

shred the meat, simmer in stock for about an hour (this process can be reversed) to reduce and thicken it. par boil potato cubes, carrot cubes and any other veg you'd like.

take meat out, put meat in bowl add veggies (i throw in a bag of frozen peas) and mix.

get some pot pie pans, i get 5" they come with clear, plastic lids.

get some ready made pie crust. let this come to room temp. cut into circles that will line pans and cover pans. i ended up patching together scrap pieces.

put the mixture in to store bought pot pie pans. you can choose to line the bottom of the pans or not. thicken stock with some flour or any thickener you'd like to make it more gravy like and spoon over mixture. top with pie crust.

put on lid, stick in freezer.

take out of freezer bake for 45-60mins at 450. easy dinner. my 5lb chuck made about 6 pies.

you can also make a cottage type pie and just cover with mashed potatoes. i've done that, too.

my steps may not be in the exact order you need to reach an optimum conclusion.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »
See, I feel carrots should never be cubed.  Slices, strips, shreds, sure, but not cubes.  Frozen vegetables ruined me forever on this.

Peas . . . I almost never like peas in anything.  When I was growing up, we very rarely had fresh peas, which I was OK with, but usually had frozen ones (fibrous knots of glukh) or Le Seur canned peas, which always made me squirm in horror.  Revolting.

For me, some vegetables freeze and others don't, and the ones you shouldn't freeze cannot be rescued by any manner of cooking.

pdrake

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:10 PM »
now that i think about it, i did slice the carrots.

frozen peas have gotten really good.

canned peas are mush.

Hisey

• Trusted
  • [Internally screaming]
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
I like chops buried under a mountain of extra tart kraut and with a dollop of yellow mustard.  Monk likes them grilled and seasoned at the last second in maple syrup and bacon salt.
Jeeze, at first I thought that said "MORK" likes them grilled..

gawd.
Y'all

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
Shazbut.