Author Topic: the top ten songs that make men cry  (Read 2303 times)

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: the top ten songs that make men cry
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
WAT.

I honestly can't think of a song that makes me cry, or even think of one that has made me cry at any time, although I'm not sure it's never happened.  The most depressing songs are the ones strongly associated with ex-girlfriends.

Of that list, Hallelujah is the only one I'd rate as Strongly Moving, but it's basically blues in spirit.  It makes you feel good about feeling bad. 

Everybody Hurts I've always felt was slightly ironic, but I've never heard it on the radio and don't have the album; I've only ever heard it in conjunction with the video.  Still.  Tears in Heaven has a sad story but HE WROTE A FARKING POP SONG ABOUT IT which just makes it WTF to me.  I mean, I guess writing the song is fine and understandable, but releasing it commercially is a little iffy and performing it a lot is just plain creepy to me.  I hadn't heard that he'd stopped playing it, but it would have made more sense, to me, to start playing it publicly when he was done (privately) mourning his kid.  Obviously we have different, uh, dynamics, but that would explain why it doesn't affect me so much, I guess.

Nothing Compares 2 U is catchy but weak for Sinead.  The people in that poll obviously don't know much else by her.  I mean, Black Boys On Mopeds is like 5x as depressing, for starters.  With or Without You is a mediocre song at best and makes a horrible I Can't Care That Much About You Because I'm So Impressed With Me bookend with Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.  Not their best work.  Certainly not a tearjerker.

Candle in the Wind?  Sentimental, but hard to take THAT seriously.  We used to sing it as Camel Breaking WindStreets of Philadelphia is less poignant for me than half the stuff on Born in the USAUnchained Melody I like, but I don't think of it as being sad in the first place.

I don't know Drugs Don't Work or Angels.  Oh, is Angels that one popularized by the woman who was singing about some US tragedy (Columbine?)?  She sounds sad; it's affecting.  Wouldn't make me cry, personally.  If that's not it, then I don't know it.

Bah.

In the interest of full disclosure, much to my surprise I did once start crying in the middle of a large airliner on a flight to Boston when I was reading the last few pages of Bridge of Birds, so I'm not saying I'm made of stone.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
For me there's not a particular style of song that makes me cry, it's more about context, and I wouldn't say "cry" as much as get teary-eyed. And that generally comes from listening to songs by artists that died too young - Hendrix, Lennon, Dimebag, etc etc etc. The other category would be songs that remind me of a particular time with a particular person, and that fades with time. The deliberately constructed sad song thing really turns me off.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »
I was trying to figure out what songs that make me cry, but I actually discovered the songs that make me cry are more about the videos for the songs and I guess if I ever cry at the songs themselves it's because of the association with the video. So my short list is:

Sarah McLachlan - World On Fire
John Lennon - Watching the Wheels
Mary J. Blige - No More Drama
REM - Everybody Hurts

and then sometimes, if it's late at night and I'm driving, Mad World by Gary Jules.

I went and watched the videos again last night to test if I really do cry at the song or the video and my husband was laughing at me as I sat through the Sarah McLachlan one. The waterworks started up like within 30 seconds.  :lol:
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 09:14:28 AM »
For some reason Amazing Grace always weeps me up.
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
today i started loving you again gits me.
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
I was listening to Patsy Cline the other night, and I started thinking about who her target audience was, or who the songs were written for. In a way, it almost sounds like poor white women's blues, like a woman would enjoy listening to another woman commiserating with her, but then after years of listening to Patsy, it finally dawned on me that her songs are what men would like to think women sing about them.  :P

It's interesting that of the songs that fit this category the best, the writer is male - Hank Cochran.
Example 1
Example 2
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
Anything by Rod Stewart, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, The Bee Gees, or Joe Cocker will make me cry as I try to excise my cochleas.  Oh wait, that's not you meant.

The only one I can think of right off the top of my head is Harry Chapin's Cats in the Cradle.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM