Author Topic: NBA  (Read 35750 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
NBA
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
Orange, round, peach-basket ball stuff, welcomed here.

:D
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
Re: NBA
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
I'mma make a college baskety-ball thread when the season starts.

That said, former UK playas Wall and Cousins are doing a'ight in the NBA. Good on 'em.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

Hedaira

• Trusted
  • Tit Critic
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
Also, the Celtics actually won one. Pants were shat.
"After walking away from the other people backstage, Justin Bieber found a place where we could be alone -- a bathroom. We went inside and immediately his personality changed drastically. He began touching me and repeatedly said he wanted to fuck the shit out of me."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
The Celtics have won four.  Only the Cavaliers (somehow) have beaten them as yet [no jinx].  The big surprise with them is that their bench, which was supposed to be awesome this year, has been pretty sucky.  Delonte 'Go' West is halfway through a ten-game suspension (for crazy gun-totin' off-his-meds nonsense last year), and there have already been a bunch of injuries.

Some injuries were expected, considering how many 'old' players the C's have, but the whole point of signing both O'Neals (Shaq and Jermaine) to cheap contracts was so they'd have enough bigs no matter who got hurt.  Perkins, their starting center, is out half the season.  Shaq's the only actually old player on their team -- he's almost my age -- and he'll probably play about half the regular season's games.  JO has a history of being way too fragile, plus he fouls out a lot.  Big Baby Davis is better but also has foul troubles some nights, and after that it's just the Turkish rookie Semih 'Tough' Erden . . . who tends to have foul trouble. 

So they've had a couple of games already where Pierce, at 6'7", ends up being their tallest player in the fourth quarter.  Ridiculous.  But the bench should get better once West comes back and Nate Robinson stops having to play point guard.

Wall is a freak of nature, in a good way.  It's always awesome to see kids come into the league and immediately kick ass.  Not to mention that the Wizards really, really need him.  :lol:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
Tonight's Celtics / Bulls game was surprisingly entertaining.  The Bulls could be scary once they get Carlos Boozer playing with them, assuming he meshes.  Right now, they have too many people trying to play hero, and only Derrick Rose is really equipped for it.  But they have a lot of young and youngish players who could be phenomenal if they could be more consistent and remember to play as a team.

Their coach is pretty much the ideal coach for a team playing against the C's, though, because until this year he was Boston's defense mastermind.

The C's just need the whole team to be able to play.  Shaq and Perkins were both sorely missed -- the C's had three guys playing center, for a total of almost 68 minutes (overtime, plus some overlap), and altogether those guys had six rebounds, which is ridiculous.  And they need West back because the second unit doesn't have a real point guard.

But otherwise, watching this game, it would've been easy to believe the score was 20 points higher for each team.  Fairly crazy.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
It pains me to miss tonight's rematch between the Celtics and the Miami Nazgul, but I'm having dinner with my brother.  Miami is likely to win, anyway, as Boston has both of the gimpy O'Neals out with injured legs (oy), their star center still out for weeks to come while recovering from surgery, and their best backup guard still suspended.  Plus, the C's beat Miami in the embarrassing first game of the season -- and Miami blew a 22-point lead at home in their last game to lose decisively in overtime to the Utah Jazz, a team they were really really expected to beat.

But we'll see.  Or at least I'll see the recap afterward.

In other NBA news, Kentucky fans may note that John Wall may be a rookie with like half a dozen NBA games under his belt, but he's already hot shit and no foolin'.  The other night, against the allegedly much better Houston Rockets team (even with their injury problems), he not only led the Wizards to the win but had his first triple-double:  19 points, 13 assists, and 10 rebounds.  On 50% shooting.  With just 1 turnover.  And with 6 steals.  And he blocked a shot, which is always impressive for a guard.

Yeah, I'm a little jealous, but so are a whole lot of people.

This season is turning out to be a hell of a season, too.  Lots of interesting stuff going on.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »
And . . . the Celtics won.  :lol:  Even though LeBron made as many free throws as the entire Boston team.  Oof.

The Heat have problems at center.  They should be starting the Big Z over Joel Anthony.  He may be getting old, but he's better, knows how to play with LeBron, and is six inches taller, for crying out loud.  LeBron has too much else going on to be your main guy to block shots, and I don't know how Bosh ever got a reputation as a shot blocker.  Last year, Z blocked like five freaking times as many shots, per minute played, as Bosh did.

They also have defensive problems at guard -- on the opposing point guard, usually -- and it's just too many holes.  They started off as the #1 team defensively, and now they've gotten torched their last three games as coaches are figuring out what their problems are.

edit:  For ONE thing, they definitely have to figure out how to fix this if they're still expecting to play the Lakers in the Finals.  Between Kobe and Gasol, they'll get killed even if Bynum is injured.  I wasn't a big Pau Gasol fan until toward the end of last season, but by now I'm convinced, although right now I'd still rather take a much cheaper chance on his brother, dollar-wise.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:45:20 PM by random axe »

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
In other news.  The Nuggets beat the Fakers last night!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
Yeah, the Nuggets underperform a bit, but the Lakers always seem to have trouble with them.  It was a good win for Denver, and it leaves only New Orleans undefeated.

Anytime Kobe has a bad night and the Lakers lose, it makes the Lakers look really vulnerable.  I didn't see the game, but the box score suggests Kobe should've given up on his shot early and concentrated on passing.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
So . . . it sucks to be an NBA fan in Portland. 

Four years ago, they won the draft lottery in a big year and dithered between a 7' mad scientist named Greg Oden and a 6'9" all-around wizard named Kevin Durant.  Durant was skinny as a pipe cleaner, and Oden had had a few problems with his knees.  They took Oden.  Durant became a superstar for Seattle, who then lost their entire team to Oklahoma, where Durant is now being talked up as possibly this year's MVP.

(Aside:  Boston actually had a better chance of winning the draft that year, and they had planned to take Durant.  Instead, they lost the draft and made the mega trade that won them the championship.  That's good management, baby.  Still, it's fun to play What If.)

Oden . . . had knee problems.  Needed surgery.  Then he broke his wrist.  Then he had knee problems.  Now he needs surgery again and will miss this entire season.  And at the end of the season, his contract is up.  In four years, he's played in about 25% of the games he should have played in, and he's never averaged more than half a game when he was playing.  That sucks for everyone involved.  And his stats, for the limited minutes, suggest he would have been a superstar if he could have stayed healthy.

But Portland managed to make some trades and land this other star player, a guard named Brandon Roy.  Who, it now turns out, has bad knees . . . that probably can't be helped with surgery . . . and which are just getting worse over time.

The moral of the story seems to be that Portland is a bad place for knees.  And basketball.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
They were good once. Back in the Seventies I think.

But as for the knees, I blame the climate. My knee ached the whole time I was there, last time. Like on foggy days here.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
They took Walton in one of those lottery fairy tales, too, back in the 70s, and immediately he was all injuries, too.  But then he settled down after a few years, and they won a championship.  (They swept the Lakers out of the playoffs, which the Lakers still occasionally bring up.)  Then he got injured again and things got ugly . . . and he eventually wound up with the Celtics, where he won another championship . . . before getting injured again. 

Still, he arguably had a better career in Boston, the Portland of the East Coast.

Portland did better with Clyde Drexler, back in the day.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
Last night . . . Miami played Charlotte, the Lakers played Minnesota, and the Celtics played Oklahoma City.  The first team, in all three cases, should have beat the snot out of the second team.  OKC is not a pushover, but Durant and their second-leading scorer were both out.

The Celtics managed to lose.  Miami blew a huge lead and almost lost.  The Lakers . . . beat the snot out of Minnesota.  :lol:

The Celtics-Thunder game was weird as hell.  The Thunder had been shooting just over 25% on three-pointers, but last night they were 67%.  Their fourth-leading dude, Ibaka, is allegedly not a good shooter, but he was hitting 15-20' shots.  Through the first three quarters, they just could not miss.  They were shooting almost 70% from the floor (against the Celtics defense, which is in the top five), and what can you do?  Expect the law of averages to work out in your favor.

The C's were shooting over 60% for the first three quarters, too, but just not getting to the free throw line.  That happens to the C's a lot, for all the talk of star treatment.  For the game, the Thunder hit as many free throws as Boston attempted.  It didn't help that Boston had two guys miss all their free throws and a 90% shooter hit just 33%.  Oops.  Boston also only hit one 3-pointer all night.

The fourth quarter was hideous all around.  The C's missed nine shots in a row, and OKC missed thirteen.  The Thunder's offense became mind-numbingly stupid; they ran the same play over and over again even though they kept failing and failing and failing.  Seriously, no one deserved to win this game, but especially them.  Just awful. 

The refs also got terrible in the fourth, although I couldn't honestly say which team generally got shafted worse.  In the last 30 seconds, though, Boston tried to intentionally give a foul to stop the clock, and it took nine fouls (as counted by ESPN) and almost ten seconds before a ref decided to blow the whistle.  That's just asking for someone to flat-out deck the guy with the ball, and it's inexcusable.  Everyone knew Boston was trying to foul on purpose, and they had four guys just slap the crap out of Oklahoma's point guard, and no whistle, no whistle, no whistle . . . .

Anyway, stupid, weird game.  With a stupid, weird ending.  Everyone involved should be pretty embarrassed, but it's a win for the Thunder in a couple of ways.  They beat a top-three team with two of their three main guys out, and Westbrook, their point guard . . . now he's gotta have a lot of confidence that he can score on anyone.  That team may never shoot that well again, but they shouldn't be afraid of trying.

I do kind of wish Charlotte had managed to beat Miami, though.  That would've been pretty funny.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Not to harp on it, but I just read that neither team scored a basket during the last 9.5 minutes of that game.  :trance:  Did I mention the fourth quarter sucked?

Also, Rondo hurt his leg, which may or may not have been a factor, and Garnett got clocked in the head in the first quarter.  That didn't seem to affect him, but he was playing despite having a lump literally bigger than his ear on the back righthand side of his head.  It was gruesome.

Westbrook was 6-for-6 on free throws in the fourth quarter, which is how they won the game, but he missed seven shots in a row from the field and ended up with more turnovers than assists, which is not so good for the point guard.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
My involuntary late-night shenanigans made me miss a Celtics game where they finally kicked ass for 48 minutes.

Also a game in which the Heat got blown out by the Pacers.  THE PACERS.  Seriously, there's little joy in Miamiville right now.  They were talking about winning 70-something games this season, and at the moment they're a game or two over 50%.  If they go the entire rest of the season without losing again . . . .

Everybody's still blaming Chris Bosh.  Look, I've never been a gigantic fan of Bosh, but this is hardly his fault.  He doesn't fit that well on this team, but that's management's fault.  Some pundits are saying that the Heat had to hire Bosh because they could only get LeBron if they put all three nazgul together.  The result is that they had no money left for, you know, the other seven guys, minimum, that they needed.  So LBJ and especially Wade are still killing themselves trying to win games on their own.  Wade's health is suffering as a result, and last night he shot like 1-for-6000.

I still say LBJ should have gone to Chicago or Dallas.  It would've been much more interesting.  And he'd be doing a lot better right now.