• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
Re: NBA
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »
LBJ!  Hee!
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
YARLY.  They often call him that.  Not only is it looking like he can't bring a championship to Miami this year, but he probably doesn't have an exit strategy for Vietnam, either.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
I still laugh at the "Bosh looks like one of those Avatar dudes" comments. Anyway, yeah it takes more than three guys to win a championship, so they could sure use some bench help.

Speaking of the bench, it sounds like AI is there already in Turkey. I was sorta hoping it'd be like when Kenny Fuckin' Powers went to Mexico to revitalize his career in the just-ended season two of Eastbound and Down (what a funny show), but if he's gonna turn things around it's going to take more time than expected, I guess.

As for Dallas, I don't believe even LBJ could help now because this area is currently under some kind of sports curse. (Dirk is playing great though; I really need to make it out to a live game this year, I mean he's not gonna play forever) A few years ago I watched the most soul crushing defeat of my career as a sports fan from like ten feet away, the Crapids in the playoffs...then the next year, exact same team and scenario...then this year, the alignments were weird enough that Dallas represented the West while they represented the East in the finals...perfect scenario for revenge, right? Then this.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
Miami has major, major problems not only with depth but with center and point guard, which are, you know, two of the more important positions.  Haslem was their best workaday player, and now he's apparently out for the entire season.  He was also somehow their best rebounder.  So they've now signed Erick Dampier as a new center, which is not going to be earthshaking.  They may be able to get an exception for Haslem and sign someone else, but I'm not sure who.

Dallas may very well be cursed, but if James had gone there, the current starting five would be Jason Kidd, Dirk, Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler (who would slide to shooting guard), and LBJ.  No offense to DeShawn Stevenson.  Stevenson averages 5 pts, 1 rebound, and half an assist this season.  James averages 23.5 pts, over 5 rebounds, and 8.5 assists this season.  That would be significantly better.

James would play a lot of minutes, so Shawn Marion could split between backing him and backing Nowitzki.  You let Stevenson and Mahinmi fade toward the 3rd string, and the team is a whole lot better.  That might not be the right lineup -- I can't remember now how the move to Dallas was supposed to work, so maybe Marion wouldn't still be there, or something.  But it would be a big improvement.

Miami was gutted for this lineup, and they're a disaster.  I think Kidd could blend a new lineup better than Miami's been doing, and there'd be less pressure on James.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
And now I'm :eyeroll: at the Youtube comments. Look, I thought this coach was not pro caliber at first, but he had a system in mind and it took a few years to put in place. Now, FCD plays the kind of soccer I love--always moving forward and attacking, very fun to watch, not the kind of game usually associated with MLS at all. In the past I have watched them field plenty of shitty teams playing the most boring style of bunker ball, so it has truly been a pleasure to see.

Like the NBA, the league often influences ingame proceedings thru the refs chosen (although the refs in MLS are worse than any league of any kind ever), and here's a high-flying uptempo team playing against the usual clutch-and-grab brawler type of team that normally typifies MLS (which is one of the reasons US club soccer has never been embraced more by soccer fans, especially the American audience of Premiership snobs), so they bring in a ref who swallows the whistle and lets these guys clobber each other all night, which naturally leads to an ugly game that favors the uglier team.

So really it felt almost like a loss for MLS as much as for my team, 'cause people look in on that final game who don't normally follow the league and are like "is this what it's like all the time? Ewww American soccer still sucks" and then the only highlight being shown everywhere is a nutmeg leading to an OG leading to a really awkward dive, instead of pretty stuff like this right here (Ferreira is beastly)

Yeahh! talkin about MLS in the newly minted NBA thread!!

Actually with regard to the Mavs lineup, I still think Cuban is gonna make at least one big trade before the season is up. I think Butler's contract is expiring? He's usually mentioned in such rumors. Wow, it would be cool to have a good center here. It's never happened pretty much ever in Mavs history...Roy Tarpley for a minute, but then he drank himself out of that job...

But Dirk, wow. He seems to be shooting better than ever. That game winner against the Celts recently was great. Plus they are putting more emphasis on team defense this year, thinking forward to the playoffs. But still, the curse.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
Yeahh! talkin about MLS in the newly minted NBA thread!!

I wouldn't have it any other way! :galm:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
:lol:  Yeah, doesn't bother me -- I just don't know anything about US soccer beyond what everybody knows, ie, that chick totally took her shirt off.  Which, seriously, that was awesome; I don't even know what she looks like or if she was attractive or whatever, but that really shouldn't be the point.  Male athletes have a whole range of excited celebration techniques, from the funny and cool to the really stupid, and it's not like she wasn't wearing anything underneath.  That emotion is part of why you watch sports.

Iverson . . . there's still a fair bit of mystery surrounding his decision to go to Turkey instead of, say, China.  In China, the recognition would have been far greater, the money would have been better, and there are a lot more other former NBA players around to hang out with.  Not that I have anything against Turkey.  They were saying that the arena he played in for his debut there is in an urban area of thirteen million people, and the stadium seats 3200, and it wasn't full.

Maybe just as well considering how rusty he was.  But I saw an article that says he seems to be happy there at the moment.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
Celtics won last night (which is a good thing, since they were playing New Jersey), mostly thanks to Shaq playing like it was ten years ago, which I don't think many people expected.  Unfortunately, Delonte 'Go' West got fouled on a layup (no whistle), landed badly, and broke both bones in his wrist.  Celtics current players with serious injuries: three centers (including their starting center), a power forward, their starting point guard, a shooting guard, and two combo guards.  That's over half the team.  Five of those guys are currently not playing at all.  Hopefully the schedule will be fairly easy for awhile.

The Heat lost to Orlando, which is about right.  Apparently the Heat are 1-6 against teams that have winning records.  Not too impressive so far.

San Antonio -- currently the best team in the league -- got pummeled for most of the game by lowly Minnesota last night, but then they came back.  They came back from a 21 point deficit, took their first lead with less than a minute to play, and then won in overtime.  Not much joy in Minneapolis last night.  Kevin Love had 32 points and 22 rebounds, though, which is the second time this season he's done that.  Pretty amazing stuff.  Possibly even better news for Minnesota is that Darko finally had another breakout game, 22 points on 10-17 shooting, 8 rebounds, and 5 blocks, in 33 minutes . . . before he fouled out.  Well, good and bad.  He also had 7 turnovers, but maybe it's progress.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »
Not much joy in Minneapolis ever with regards to sports, barring one or two Kirby episodes.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
AND it's really farking cold, and it takes forever to get from there to most places.

Nice town, though, from what I hear.  I would have visited a long time ago, but, uh, yeah, it takes too long to get there by car.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
Minneapolis is a bitchin' city. I would really live there if there was a handy ocean. Even taking into account the winters. If you work downtown because of the skyways you never have to go outside!

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
I actually really like horrible winters if I have enough money to be equipped for them.  I prefer to live where there are oceans or mountains, or at least serious hills.  Minneapolis has lakes, though.

Of course, if I could travel to and through Canada . . . .

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »
The Clippers are still kind of a joke . . . I mean, how much does it suck to be the 'other LA team'?  The Lakers are currently the #2 team in the league, and the Clippers are the worst team, at 3-13.  Ouch.

BUT.  Last year, the Clippers drafted Blake Griffin, a fine young power forward.  Griffin didn't play last year due to an injury, but he seems to be all better.  If he ever learns to block shots, he'll be a monster.  Right now, he's just a highlight reel machine.

Blake Griffin's Top Ten Dunks in his first 16 games.

That last one . . . maybe that should be an offensive foul.  :lol:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »
So . . . the Indiana Pacers, yes, beat the Miami Heat the other night.  In a measure of how disappointing the Heat have been so far, many Pacers fans (there have to be some, after all) said that they weren't impressed.  ESPN quoted a message board where a fan said the Pacers would at least have to beat Miami twice before it would be impressive.

But then the Pacers beat the Lakers the other night, which was much more surprising.  The Lakers, like the C's, currently have very few able-bodied big men (by which, in the NBA, they mean at least 6'10"), and Indiana has a lot.  Which also explains why they beat Miami, who's best center is 'Big Z' Ilgauskas, a nice player who was ready to be your starting center five years ago.  I actually like the Z, but he's not ready to take on every other team's grudge match for 35 minutes a night.

Dallas had a harder time beating Miami the other night, but the refs were really, really helping Miami out.  At one point in the fourth, Miami got to a point where they had almost as many free throws that quarter as Dallas had all game.  It was pretty ridiculous, but Dallas still won by close to ten points.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
Dallas had a harder time beating Miami the other night, but the refs were really, really helping Miami out.  At one point in the fourth, Miami got to a point where they had almost as many free throws that quarter as Dallas had all game.

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2006 NBA Finals!