Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38411 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: NBA
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
And . . . LBJ has not played since spraining his ankle in the game immediately following his "karma" remark, and the Heat have not won.  They've now lost three in a row.

:innocent:

I feel bad for Wade, a little bit.  I should probably feel bad for Bosh, but I don't, although I feel a little bad that he's such a junior member of Miami's Big Three.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
Apparently it's Massacre Night in the NBA.

Milwaukee beat Cleveland by 14, which is a pretty convincing win.  And New Jersey beat Detroit by 15.  But Phoenix beat Washington by 18.  And Boston walked away from Utah by 24.

However, Orlando beat Toronto, 112-72.  If Orlando hadn't scored in the entire fourth quarter, they still would have won, but they scored 39 points in the fourth.  Ouch!

And then New Orleans beat Atlanta, 100-59.  If New Orleans hadn't scored in the fourth quarter, they still would have won by eleven.  That's Washington Generals territory.

Meanwhile, three nights ago Atlanta beat LeBron James and the Miami Heat . . . that's gotta be embarrassing for Miami.

Tough night for a lot of teams, tonight.  Yeesh.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »

WHAT'CHA DOING UP THERE, LEBRON?  YOU GONNA BRING THAT BALL DOWN HERE?  I'M GONNA GET THAT BALL FROM YOU.  YES I AM.  YES I AM.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »
 :lol:
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Well.

The NBA is expecting to have entirely new business rules by the end of next season, with the major upshot probably being that players won't make as much money.  The economy's bad, and all.  There's a lot of talk about how this is unfair to the players, and maybe it is, but frankly over the last couple of years there's been an absolute epidemic of players being stuck playing crappily on teams they don't want to play for simply because they're owed so much money every year that it's impossible to trade them.  And some star players have gotten traded to crap teams just to dump their enormous contracts. 

That situation isn't good for anyone, and, if you ask me, it's the result of players not having much sense and agents being too greedy.  Frankly, if you can't live on $8 million a year, then $12 million a year isn't going to do you much good beyond bragging rights.  There was a lot of talk that the big three in Miami took pay cuts to all wind up on the same team, but between them they still took up so much of the allowable salary that the team couldn't get enough good backup players.

But anyway.  The other upshot of this situation is that teams don't want to resign stars to long contracts right now, because if they wait until next year . . . they can probably resign them (or equivalent stars) for less money, after the rules change.  New York just gave up a huge amount of money and several good players to get Carmelo Anthony, and most analysts are wondering why they didn't wait a few months to get him as a free agent for less money and without giving up those other players.

The trade deadline for this season was today at 3 PM, and all manner of hell broke loose as teams tried to figure out how to position themselves before the new rules go into effect.  I don't remember another year with as much crazy trading.  And my much-loved Celtics traded five players in about half an hour today.  :trance:  They had four centers (!), all of whom were injured, and they traded two of them -- the two who were least injured, and including their starting center. 

The C's management loves bizarre complicated trades and such, and maybe they'll hire a free agent before the playoffs, or maybe this is all an attempt to clear space to go after Dwight Howard (or possibly Marc Gasol, et al) next year.  But as it currently stands, they went from being in the top three championship contenders to pretty much being written off.

Weird.  But there have been a lot of big trades.  The second half of the season will be a mystery.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
Seriously, 50 players were traded in the last couple of days before the deadline.  That doesn't count draft picks or cash that changed hands.

By my count, at least six major players got screwed over because of their own big contracts.  Turns out the C's traded Perkins, who helped them win one championship and who would've gotten them another one last year if he hadn't been injured, because they were afraid his agent was going to ask for too much money this summer.  Same story as the rest of them.  They ask for a ton of money, and if you don't sign them they walk away and you get nothing.  So teams dump them, for whatever they can get, before that happens.

Meanwhile, Rip Hamilton is wasting the last good years of his career sitting on the bench in Detroit because he refuses to give up a few million dollars (out of many millions of dollars) to take a pay cut and go play for a team that would actually play him.

It's the agents as much as the players, but that's just not a right situation.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
Oh . . . now that the trading season is over in the NBA, I can mention -- without fear of jinxes -- the scariest possible trade that there were any rumors about.  People who follow this particular sport may remember (hard to forget) that Memphis handed the Lakers an incredible deal a few years ago when they gave them Pau Gasol.

Well, this year there were rumors in LA that the Lakers were going to send All-Star but often-injured center Andrew Bynum and talented but mentally spastic forward Ron Artest to Memphis for yet another Why Would Memphis DO That trade -- getting back Pau's brother, center Marc Gasol and forward Zach Randolph.  There were some other fiddly pieces in the rumored trade, but those were the main bits.

That would probably have put the Lakers on top for the next three years.  The younger Gasol is underrated, a bit under-coached, and hasn't reached his potential yet, and I wouldn't want to see him on the same team as his brother unless it was a team I normally root for.  Bynum is great except that, yeah, he gets injured a lot, and Artest is great when he's not being crazy instead.  You can't count on either of them.

Besides, the much ballyhooed Bynum + Artest combo averages about 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 3.5 assists a game, which is not actually that great.  Marc Gasol + Randolph combo averages 32 points, 20 rebounds, and 4.5 assists.  Blocks would be the same, and the Gasol / Randolph combo even has a better shooting percentage.  And they're both way better at free throws.  So that would have been HUGE. 

Fortunately for anyone not a Lakers fan, the trade didn't happen.  Although if it had, at least it would have killed some of the Miami buzz.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 10:55:54 AM »
Did you watch the Knicks/Heat last night?  That three-pointer at the halftime buzzer to put the Knicks ahead was poetry.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
I can't watch most games without shelling out $$$, what with no cable and all, but I followed the box score fairly closely and chortled with glee at the recaps this morning.

I can't decide if enjoying the Knicks kicking the Nazgul while they're down is schadenfreude or just fair game, but I did enjoy it.  And I'm very happy for Billups, who did not want to be traded and definitely did not want to be an afterthought.  He was initially a Celtic, you know, and they traded him halfway through his rookie season.  :doh:

I'm not a laundrymonger, so I tend to root for players even on the basis that they used to be Celtics.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
I can't watch most games without shelling out $$$, what with no cable and all

ATDHE!

It's good because the Knicks have been shitty forever and they're due for some success, it's bad because the East Coast Bias means we'll have to hear about them constantly now.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
Nah, ATDHE is illegal, mang.  I mean, I don't care that other people use the site, but I have unrealistically high standards for myself in certain weird ways.  Unfortunately.

I do think it's pretty awesome, actually, that the Knicks are so much better.  For one thing, no team learns real road warrior toughness if its division is all crap.  For another, the Eastern Conference teams I like will make more money if they play more games that feature a couple of extra big-draw players.  And the Knicks sucking is just lame.  Now they just have to fix their management, or the Russian Bear will somehow eat them alive.

The East was so much weaker than the West for so long, and now a bunch of big stars have migrated eastward, and that's got to be a good thing for the league.  Mix it up.

And if you hear the Knicks more, you won't hate it if it means you hear about the Heat a little less.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
Yes. Sometimes in quiet moments, I ponder upon all the dollars of lost revenue I am snatching right off the table of those hard working NBA execs, and I weep like a small child, and there is much rending of garments.

It's mostly just offsite links to justin.tv and the like, and the monkey's fate is up to the organ grinder, so if they care a whole lot (like Vince McMahon and his high dollar pay per views) they can get it pulled off those sites pretty quickly. Nobody seems to give a shit about blocking some midnight tilt between the Bucks and Sactown, though. (and you still see the ads, which are already bought and paid for as per the broadcast)

Their prob not mine anyway, but y'all already know I suck as a person, that's why I never claimed to be anything more than a nice guy and an athlete. But it's like when they cracked down on torrents (where you can see every IP addy in the seed pile, and then go threaten their grannies) and so everybody just went to Rapidshare and Fileserve and etc (if you want it taken down, you have talk to the admin in Russia or Switzerland or wherever, and there are no traceable records to pursue)

(Actually I do have cable so between TNT and ESPN and the locals I get most NBA games anyway, plus licensed ESPN3 access on the computer. We don't get the "VS" network though, so it's nice to get CBC coverage of hockey, for example, or obscure soccer matches that are often blocked to the USA via their normal channels or simply unavailable otherwise)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:17 PM »
Sometimes in quiet moments, I ponder upon all the dollars of lost revenue I am snatching right off the table of those hard working NBA execs, and I weep like a small child, and there is much rending of garments.

:lol:

No, when I said I don't care if other people do that sort of thing, I actually meant it.  That wasn't my way of trying not to be a dick while still having the moral high ground.  I just have a thing about it, and I'm strict with myself about certain things like Rorscharch is strict with his own rules even in the face of getting blown to a smear by Dr Manhattan.  I don't know that it's a smart way to be, much less the right way to be.  It doesn't make me happy, or even smug.  I still can't afford freaking CDs or DVDs, basically, so I'd really like to torrent and such, but I know that I have come to the conclusion that it's wrong and that I could convince myself to do it anyway . . . but so I won't.

It's not entirely unlike the paranoia.  It's self-consistent, but probably divorced from reality.  And I can't say I recommend it.

The DHS has no business whatsoever in the IP arena, and personally I regard it as utter and outright corruption, period, that they even get involved.  Not their fight, not their territory, not their jurisdiction, and neither cool nor American how they go about it.  Flatly and absolutely a disgrace to every citizen past and present that they do that shit with an official US stamp on it.

One more sign that the DHS was a bad idea, badly implemented.  Shut it down, already.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
Heh, well that makes sense. Like the great Omar Little said, a man got to have a code.

For the record, as a working musician I try not to be hypocritical about this stuff. As I recently said elsewhere, when I first saw my tunes up for download on a Russian pirate site it felt like I had "made it" in an odd sort of way. The idea that people found my music to be worth stealing was strangely gratifying...

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »
Yeah, the closest anyone comes to stealing my IP is when I see people recycling my schtick over at Frak.

In WTF NBA news, the insane racism of Clippers owner Donald Sterling took a newsworthy turn this week when he announced the Clippers would be celebrating Black History Month . . . in March . . . by letting "underprivileged" (black) kids see Clippers games for free!  Which is not actually so generous since their ticket sales are abysmal and of course the kid must be accompanied by a paying adult.

:eyeroll: