Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38415 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: NBA
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
Well, the Mavs beat the Lakers yet again and went up 3-0 in a best-of-seven.  The Lakers just didn't try that hard -- refs or no refs, any game where Kobe gets just one free throw points to a basic tactical catastrophe.  And something's clearly wrong with Pau Gasol.

If Marion keeps playing well, Stojakovic keeps rebutting reports of his demise, and Butler ever comes back from injury, the Mavs really have a hell of a team, I must say.

Will the Celtics kick Miami in the crotch tonight or also go down 3-0?  I guess we'll see.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Speaking of cheap shots, D-Wade might have just turned things around for the Celtics with that pro-rasslin arm bar move on Rondo. That's not the kind of game the Heat wants to get into with a strong physical team like Boston. It definitely seemed to wake Garnett up, and afterward the TV guys were showing Rondo's return to the game (dislocated elbow, ouch. "They popped it back in" I heard him say, haha) alongside the famous Willis Reed comeback.

As for the Lakers, I watched almost every Jordan-era Bulls game and I've never seen Phil Jackson as frustrated as he was in Dallas last night, and it was very apparent in his treatment of Gasol. Snoop Dogg says Pau is having "girl problems" so I dunno.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with Gasol, and I've never been a huge fan, but clearly something is wrong.  And, yeah, Jackson smacked him during a timeout, and he didn't even really react.  God only knows.  Or maybe Snoop Dogg knows.  But I sure don't.

Like I said, Miami really beat up the Celtics during Game 2, to the point that I was surprised I didn't hear more complaints about the officiating.  I think Wade and James, at least, finally got genuinely offended at all the anti-Heat smack talk.  Personally, after the antics at the end of last season and the beginning of this one, I think they have to win two or three titles to redeem themselves.  I was thinking three, earlier, but maybe two titles in a row would make me grudgingly change my mind.

Starting hard-foul matches against Boston is pushing their luck, though.  Boston has four starters who will play through ridiculous pain, plus Jermaine O'Neal, who's certainly accustomed to being injured.  They may not have Tony Allen or Perkins anymore, but Davis is a big resilient dude, and Shaq would not mind shoving LeBron a few times.  And Boston's bench may be confused, but they still have a lot more depth.  Boston could lose Garnett or Pierce or Ray Allen or probably even Rondo, but Miami can't afford to lose Wade or James.

Miami's just lucky they didn't wind up having to try this brand of play against Orlando, because Dwight Howard would have ended someone's season.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
 God only knows.  Or maybe Snoop Dogg knows.  But I sure don't.

Am TOTALLY quoting you out of context on this, thx
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
Per Sports Illustrated, Snoop Dogg and Magic Johnson have said the Lakers should trade Gasol to Orlando for Dwight Howard.  That's like trading a Mustang for a Ferrari.  If you can, sure, but good luck getting that deal in the first place.  I can imagine Howard wanting out of Orlando if the Magic can't improve the team significantly over the summer, but the Lakers would have to give up a LOT. 

Personally, I wouldn't take Gasol and Bynum for Howard.  If Howard was going to leave one way or the other, there are still plenty of teams that would jump at the chance to trade for him.  Howard is a rare piece to build around.  Gasol and Bynum are both pieces to put around a piece like Howard -- or Kobe, or Derrick Rose, or so on.  That keystone is the part that's much harder to get.

Meanwhile, Gasol's stock is clearly dropping like a rock right now, and Bynum's injured way too much of the time.  If the Lakers are going to get blown up and rebuilt, I think they may have to do it by dumping players and freeing up money, not straight-up trades.  But if they change the salary system next season, who knows, anyway?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
Wow.  And ouch.

Bynum and Gasol combine to go 6-17 in the most must-win game of the entire season, for Phil Jackson -- one of the biggest coaches of all time, in his last game.

Yeah, good luck trading them for big pieces.  Especially since LA got Gasol in a 'gift' trade in the first place.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Well, that was a bang, not a whimper.

Oh wait. Odom is whimpering. n/m.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »
Odom should be embarrassed -- he didn't play well, and his foul on Nowitzki was a cheap way to get ejected.  But Bynum's punk attack on Barea was ridiculous, and then Bynum acted like he'd won a heavyweight fight by blindsiding a guy a foot shorter and, what, 120 lb smaller?  And it's the same guy that Artest blindsided earlier in the series!  Just sad, really.

So, apparently Phil Jackson's last game.  His worst playout loss ever (36 points!) and the only time one of his teams was ever swept -- and he has the most playoff appearances of any coach ever, apparently.  AND he complained about the refs a bit earlier, and so the day of his wretched embarrassing loss the league also fined him $35k.

The game didn't even make much sense.  The Lakers just kind of gave up after about sixteen or seventeen minutes.  Kobe scored 13 in the first quarter and then just four points in the entire rest of the game.

They're still saying the Lakers should trade Bynum for Howard.  I still don't think they should even say that without adding that they'll have to include Odom, four draft picks, and Bynum's weight in diamonds.  I mean, on average:

Howard:  23 points on 60% shooting, 14.1 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 1.5 steals per game this season.

Bynum:  11.3 points on 57% shooting, 9.4 rebounds, 2 blocks, .5 steals per game this season.

Probably even more importantly, in the last three seasons, Bynum played in 70 fewer games than Howard, because he's always injured.  And it's not just the last three seasons.  Bynum entered the league the year after Howard but has missed two entire seasons' worth of games, so he's played 235 fewer games.  He's like a car that has low mileage because it doesn't run.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
I, for one, welcome our new Maverick overlords, and am almost willing to accept the Capitals sweep for the Lakers'.   :D
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
I kind of hope they go all the way, on account of the fact that I like Dirk.

I am feeling bad for Derek Fisher and Phil Jackson. They deserved better.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
I feel a little bad for Fisher, I suppose, and some of the other 'minor' Lakers -- Brown and Blake and everybody's favorite punching bag, Luke Walton.

I feel bad for Jackson only because it was such an ignominious finale to his career.  He should have quite a year ago, but I can imagine that -- even putting the millions of dollars aside -- it was hard to turn down a shot at a fourth three-peat. 

But he always enjoyed having the best teams, which not many coaches get to do, after all, and he was always a bit of a dick.  Complained about the refs almost every time his teams lost, and about half the time when they won.  Mocked other teams, even ones that won the championship. 

He famously (and peevishly) said San Antonio's 1999 title should have had an asterisk next to it because that year's season was shortened by a lockout.  Well, now his career has an asterisk.  Maybe it's just karma.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
Bynum should have just given up and done his pose instead. And Lamar going out early in the fourth? Lamar? Normally he'd be a candidate for the Lady Byng...anyway they fell apart but that's good because it makes people keep sleeping on the Mavs, who shot the lights out. Like Denzel said in that football movie, Leave No Doubt...they knew the reffing would be rigged against them, so they had to push the game to a level where it didn't matter, and for once they have a team that's able to do that and it's exciting. Truly a great day in Dallas basketball history (there haven't been many).

Yeah it was sad for Phil, who had never been swept in a series before; Michael Jordan still hasn't. People forget with all the "Zen Master" stuff that Phil was an especially thuggy player back in his day. I enjoyed his postgame reply after Carlisle had said something about maybe he'll smoke some peyote and get a vision and decide to come back: "Well actually, you don't smoke peyote..."

Also enjoyed that his last press conference question ever came from hilarious Dallas sports radio throwback "reporter" Scoops Callahan (hey, Ovechkin finds him amusing)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
Bynum should have just given up and done his pose instead.

:spittake:  :rollin:  For a good twenty seconds, maybe more, I did not realize that was a game.  The last time I saw a basketball video game, it was not that realistic.  Although the closeups of that one are HILARIOUS.  They all look like they play for Uncanny Valley High.

Bynum seems to be doing the LOOK AT MY WINGSPAN pose.  He totally should do that in real life.  I also love the guy saying "Garnett looks crazy!"  Have you not seen Garnett in an actual game?  Yes, he looks crazy.  :lol:

The Mavs used a strategy that was brilliantly simple:  Dirk menaces, the defense goes to him, and the team passes the ball to an open outside shooter.  If you can shoot the three, it's a marvelous weapon.  No one wants to foul someone who's shooting a three.  And the Mavs have three-point shooters, obviously.  And Dirk is hardly an empty threat, either.

The Lakers have three big guys to defend the paint.  That didn't work too well against the Mavs, who just said, fine, have the paint.  :lol:  Then their bench outscored the entire Lakers team from outside.  The thing is, they shot the lights out, but they didn't have to.  If they'd shot that many threes and hit only 40% instead of 62.5%, they still would have won by 15 freaking points.  I mean, they still would have won by 15 freaking points!  And they can definitely consistently hit threes at 40%, which does not bode well for any team that can't rotate and defend the perimeter.

The Mavs are actually the oldest team (combined ages) in the league.  And Kidd, Marion, and Stojakovic are all supposedly washed up.  Kidd actually has a good efficiency by my formula, though -- he's up there, for point guards, and he's one of those smart veterans.  He rebounds well for a point guard, he can hit free throws, he actually averages more steals than fouls (!), and he can hit the three well enough to be dangerous out there.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
I was thinking what a throwback of a strategy that was, to throw the basketball through the hoop from some distance away. It's almost radical. I mean it seems like ever since they stopped making rules to try and stop Darryl Dawkins from breaking backboards, that the strategy has been to dunk at every possibility and actually shooting (you know, like, jump shots) is the fallback, last-resort, shot-clock-running-out tactic.

I know that's not right, but I mostly watch highlight reels these days :galm:

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Bynum should have just given up and done his pose instead.

:spittake:  :rollin:  For a good twenty seconds, maybe more, I did not realize that was a game.  The last time I saw a basketball video game, it was not that realistic.  Although the closeups of that one are HILARIOUS.  They all look like they play for Uncanny Valley High.

2k11 is waaay better. In fact, that "NBA Elite" game being played in the Bynum clip was scrapped entirely, partially because the original clip got over a million hits and partially because 2k11 was unquestionably superior, even without the Jordan stuff. Every player's shot is modeled exactly, so if you know when, say, Rondo normally releases the ball on a jump shot or free throw, you'll be better equipped to make those shots in the game. I'm still pretty amazed by it, especially after years of those old Sega games and etc.

But yeah, the Mavs have a different look this year. OKC and Memphis are good teams though, even a trip to the Finals isn't set in stone but it's more hopeful than usual.

(eta: yes outside shooting is more the thing again nowadays but in the playoffs it still often comes down to who owns the paint)