Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38414 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: NBA
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
The thundarr just came back from 18 points down to tie.
U3 says the refs are compensating because they were extra hard on them in the first half. Explains how Kevin Durant was able to run from midcourt to dunk the ball without bouncing it once. :eyeroll:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
I think the whole traveling concept is, at best, extremely fuzzy.  Or maybe their strides are so long that it seems impossible someone could have covered that much ground without traveling.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
That ended up being a heckuva game. :detta:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
Traveling is a bit of a mess -- the players, especially, don't agree on what it means.  Witness LeBron's infamous explanation of his 'crab dribble', which he and the refs don't think is traveling even though everyone else does.  And now the league head office wants to muck up the goaltending rules.  The issue of offensive fouls is the worst, though.  No one seems able to agree on how the restricted area works, or intentionally hitting a defender with your arms while you're holding the ball.  The rules are ambiguous.

There are also some things that simply don't get called.  I don't mean palming; I mean things like going up for a block and dragging the shooter down by his collar, which happens a lot.  I like Dwight Howard, but I bet an average of three times per game he pulls a shooter down by the jersey, and that ain't legal.  Still, they let people get away with that, people are going to keep doing it.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
Brian Shaw has always been there ... :cry:

And to think I knew him back we were students at UCSB together.

(actually don't think that, I didn't know him)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
Wow.  I never heard that about his family before.  He's a good guy, though, no question, and I do hope he's the next Lakers coach.

Man, the Reggie Lewis thing still depresses me.  I was living near Boston at the time, a rabid fan, my ex was at Northeastern . . . it was awful.  He was the nicest guy in pro sports, seriously.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
Well, that was fairly sad.  I don't know if it was the refs or just a fear of going to the hoop, but more than anything else, statistically, it's free throws that killed Boston in this playoff series.  In the games they lost, they lost by an average of about 9.5 points and scored an average of 8.5 points fewer on free throws.  They mostly shot a better percentage from the line, but they took 45 fewer free throws over those four games.  Ouch.

The one game they won, both teams hit 14 free throws.  :huh:  Boston only has two inherently aggressive offensive players -- Pierce, who can be stymied by getting called for an offensive foul, and Rondo, who's afraid to draw fouls because he can't shoot free throws for crap.  (Seriously, Rondo, I don't care if you never improve your outside shooting, but you're a penetrator; you NEED to learn to shoot free throws.)

Anyway, I didn't want to jinx it, but I knew the season was over when Rondo dislocated his elbow.  Tough to play with one arm, especially when you're a defensive star.  Tonight, Pierce picked up fouls early like there was a bulk discount, and that's the end right there.

The Boston bench has been horrible, for whatever reason, since the big Perkins trade, but that almost doesn't matter too much for this series since Miami's bench is pretty lame.  Still, Davis's production was about half what it was during the normal season, Nate Robinson's instant offense was gone to Oklahoma, and the alleged steal of the trade, Jeff Green, never meshed.

Now we just gotta hope that Atlanta or Chicago can somehow knock off Miami.  Barring that, please, Dallas, chew them up like a dog biscuit.  :pray:

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
I wasn't watching closely, but I kept hearing the phrase "another Boston turnover".  Those almost never help the cause.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
The sonic boomers seem to be on a roll.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »
I wasn't watching closely, but I kept hearing the phrase "another Boston turnover".  Those almost never help the cause.

Nooo . . . no, not so helpful.  The starters were clearly tired and worn out -- Rondo apparently didn't even play during the fourth quarter -- and the bench (aside from Delonte West) was having trouble even catching the ball.  Allen was still laboring with the chest injury he got earlier in the series, Rondo and Delonte and (of course) Jermaine were all being tended by the trainers when they weren't on the floor, and Shaq didn't play at all.  His career is apparently over. 

I don't know if the Perkins trade was a disaster, but it sure didn't help us this season.  Davis is a free agent next season, but his play during the second half of the season pretty much kills his chances of getting great money elsewhere.  My guess is that they'll try again next season and just (A) try to get a new center (oops) and (B) get the bench up to speed.  No idea what was wrong with Davis, really.

Last night, Wade carried the Heat until the last five minutes or so, when the score was tied.  Then LeBron scored the last ten points of the game by himself.  The End.  I kind of hope the Heat faces Atlanta -- I think Chicago has a better chance of beating them, but Atlanta would play rough in ways that Boston obviously wasn't prepared to.  Considering the lumps Boston took in this series, it seems unfair for the Heat to wind up in the Finals without taking a few, themselves.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
The sonic boomers seem to be on a roll.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Vicious rumours, paranoic fears
Sonic boomers ringing in your ears
And now I know why all the headaches come
And why you're getting progressively numb

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
Bulls - Heat.  :hmm:  Crazy old Carlos Boozer seems to have mysteriously returned to Chicago, which could make a big difference.  Chicago definitely could beat Miami -- if they can draw fouls.  If they can't, Miami will beat them up, down, and just plain beat them.

Now that the season's over, the Celtics turn out to have been much more injured than reported, with knee, foot, and back problems all over.  Fans who were pleasantly surprised that Jermaine O'Neal actually wasn't too injured to play, for once, are probably nodding upon learning he may have been playing but had a serious back injury and a fractured wrist that he's now getting surgery for.

I'm starting to think Miami's real victory in the series was not getting bitten by a zombie.  I'm actually glad Boston's out of it now, because they need to stop before something gets permanently broken.  Go sit in the whirlpool tub.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
So . . . I have no idea if this is true, but it's kind of funny . . . they're now saying that what went wrong with the Lakers is Kobe Bryant's wife.  Allegedly she has a history of disliking his teammates and messing with them.  Some people may remember that she got Karl Malone out of LA by calling his wife and telling her that Malone had been flirting with her.  (A number of sources have said that Malone was flirting with her.)

Now they're saying that she hates Pau Gasol and told Gasol's girlfriend to break up with him just before the playoffs.  Gasol has recently said that the breakup is why he played like crap.

If it's true, I don't blame her for making Kobe miserable, but it seems unfair to the rest of the team.  :shrug:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:37 AM »
She certainly has cause.

But dang, that is interesting. It's plausible.