Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38416 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: NBA
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
Keep pissing her off Kobe.  I'd love to see the Fakers lose every game from here on out!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Chicago utterly pantsed the Heat the other night, and it was pretty interesting.  Derrick Rose was the MVP, and he was great in that game, but I still don't think he's a great point guard.  To me, a great point guard needs to average double-digit assists.  Rose is a great scoring machine, but in his prime Steve Nash could score 25 and still dish out 12 assists. 

Anyway, Chicago's coach, Tom Thibodeau, was Coach of the Year . . . and was the Celtics defensive coach when they won the title.  Now Chicago has the unbeatable defense.  But they beat the Heat by playing four games:  Bulls vs Dwyane Wade.  Bulls vs LeBron James.  Bulls vs Chris Bosh.  Bulls vs the rest of the Heat.

They won all of those handily except the Chris Bosh matchup, and I think that's a three-out-of-four that will always result in a Bulls win.  They were able to defend without getting called for too many fouls, and it turns out that Luol Deng, Taj Gibson, and Joakim Noah can combine to guard Wade and LeBron.

How bad of a beating was it?  Never mind that they won by 21 points.  Every single Bull had a positive +/- number overall, meaning that the Bulls outscored the Heat regardless of which players were on the floor.  Every Heat player had a negative +/-.  That's thorough.

I think the Heat are going to have to rely on putting the ball in Wade and LeBron's hands, having them go into the paint and try to make something happen, and hope they draw a lot of fouls.  That's not how the Heat ought to try to win, but as a team they just don't function as well as the Bulls.  The Bulls are playing exactly the way the Celtics were supposed to -- again, the coaching is directly related -- but they're healthier, have a bench that's working, and are just executing better than Boston was able to.

Go Bulls.

Meanwhile, the Thunder and Mavs go at it for the West.  I'm happy with either team winning.  If the Bulls can beat Miami, I'm happy no matter who wins the title!

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
Concur there.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
NBA lottery was tonight.  Whee!  Sort of.  Still, a couple of notable / funny events:

- Minneapolis was the top seed . . . yet again.  They had a 25% chance of getting the top pick . . . and they missed it.  Yet again.  According to ESPN, they've been the top seed a staggering fourteen times and have never gotten the top pick.  Ouch!  Especially since, to be the top seed, you have to have the worst record that year.  That's a lot of sucking for not much juice.

- When LeBron left Cleveland like a guy who took his childhood sweetheart to the prom and then proposed to someone else's date right before the big dance, the CEO of the Cavaliers vowed that Cleveland would win a title before LeBron did.  There was much laughter . . . elsewhere . . . and it still looks like a fairly ridiculous boast.  Although that guy, seriously, does shell out some money.

But Cleveland got super-lucky and came up with the #1 pick.  They also have the #4 pick.

:innocent:

/ :pray: the Bulls bounce Miami!

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
SO.  Last night.

Kevin Durant:  10-18 shots, 18-19 on free throws (!), 40 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists for OK City.

Dirk Nowitzki:  12-15 shots, 24-24 on free throws (!!!), 48 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists for Dallas.

Dallas won.  Clearly, the Heat suck.

The funny thing -- the funny thing to me is that when LBJ was teasing the press (and his team) with whether or not he'd leave Cleveland (although everyone knew he would, since he'd been telling other star players that for a couple of years), I said he shouldn't go to Miami, he should go to Chicago or Dallas.  And right now those look like the two teams most likely to beat Miami.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
CURSE YOU DIRK NOWITZKI!

He's having a great game.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
Also? JaBron Lames.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
Hard not to root against the Heat.  Chicago just has to not get rattled.

Durant's young, and he'll rebound.  It might just be a year early for the Thunder.  What I'm loving about the Mavs is that Nowitzki keeps getting better, and their vets / 'washed up' often-injured stars are still going strong.  It's exactly what the Celtics hoped for but couldn't do.  Marion and Kidd have been great.  And this after a balls-to-the-wall season, too.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2011, 12:44:01 AM »
This guy gets it. I wanna see Werner Herzog do a whole movie of this.

What do the NBA scriptwriters have in store for us? The Mavs actually got past Crawford, in a close playoff game! (Again I direct your attention in particular to those two Finals games on that list, if you're not following along with our ongoing narrative about how the league is not unlike pro wrasslin') Are we looking at a possible satisfying Mavs-Heat retribution angle, or is this one of those times when the heel is allowed to win again in order to continue the narrative?  Of course neither series is over yet and anything can still happen, but you wouldn't know it from watching the coverage in either conference and hearing all the analyst-vets be like "body language blahblah, this team is done" and etc (or watching Durant and Rose facepalm their way through their respective interviews)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
I'm not sure how much the league nudges stuff around and pushes particular outcomes illegally, although I'm 100% certain it's 'some'.  A few of the Pistons, back when they were still good, claimed they were asked to stretch out a playoff series to make better TV.  They get paid a bonus for each game they play during the post-season, which helps.  Then they got bounced in the next series and were bitter about it.

Dirk was 24 for 24 on free throws in one game . . . and then got like 3 free throws in the next game, and even a bunch of national commentators were all WTF.  They said he got bumped and slapped more than in the first game, but WHATEVER the refs know what they're doing.

I dunno about the other series.  If Noah gets in foul trouble, Bosh suddenly becomes Superman against Chicago.  On the one hand, that makes it awfully easy to nudge those games.  On the other hand, Noah can get himself into foul trouble on his own, no problem.  Derrick Rose had a crappy game last time out, and Chicago's too dependent on him.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
Well it really looks like OKC has to work on the last five minutes of the game because in the last two of them I have seen they have utterly sucked. Not to take anything away from Dallas but wow.

I'm really rooting for Dirk in the finals. GOOOOO.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
GOOOOOOOO!

/bears repeating

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
Finishing out a game is something all successful NBA teams have to learn how to do. OKC looked like the Mavs did quite often in the past. There's really an art to it.

We used to call it "Gary Glitter time" back in the Jordan Bulls days, before GG's whole sex offender thing. That's the time right around the middle or end of the fourth quarter, where you sorta put the other team to sleep while you quietly keep stringing good offense and defense together, and then suddenly your team is up by a bunch and there's a timeout and "Rock and Roll Part 2" plays and Chicago Stadium goes nuts.

(Loved how they politely accepted the conference champion trophy and then left quickly. "Now let's talk to Dirk...oh he's gone already." I watch these guys every year and have never seen this level of focus; they want this title so badly)

(eta: Cuban is currently outside the arena hanging out with the fans and the trophy, haha)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:22:30 PM by First Post »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
:lol:  Cuban's focus has been tremendous this year, too.  No complaining about the refs!  Not to the press, anyway.

The resurgence of Kidd and Marion is pretty excellent.  I've always liked Kidd's game, but the playmakers are my favorite players.  I like Derrick Rose, but he just doesn't get enough assists, for my tastes, no matter how many points he scores.  To me, he's a small shooting guard who hogs the ball, not really a point guard, but I'm a snob that way.  And I wonder if he could coexist with a pass-first point guard . . . .

If the league is pushing a particular outcome to the season, they'd be crazy to want the Heat to win.  The Mavs would be the real story, from every significant angle.  This might be the last chance for this Mavs lineup to go all the way, whereas the Heat have years and years.  And there have been too many just-assembled-superteam championships in the last ten years, between the Lakers and Celtics.  So that story's been done, and it gets old.

You don't get hardcore fanbases unless team lineups stay the same for at least a few years at a time.  You can only have so many Shaqs, superstars bigger than any team identity, who can travel around and around.  In fact, you can only have a very few.  You can't encourage too much mercenary action.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2011, 04:37:24 AM »
Heh, yeah the local postgame guys were trying to get Cubes to come over and do an interview when they saw him out there, but he just smiled and shook his head.

Here's the vid of everybody leaving, haha. Great moment.

Man I wish I could find that article I read awhile back where somebody was arguing that the "true point guard" was becoming unnecessary in the modern game. It was some super bullshit of course; I agree that it's always important to have that solid PG who handles the ball and runs the offense and sets the tempo. Hard to imagine that ever really going out of style, even as fundamentals are giving way to physicality more now than in the past. Kidd's game lifts everyone else up too; it's easy to see the effect on players like Barea.

Really I think the Mavs bench is way better than Miami (assuming Chicago doesn't shock the world with a crazy comeback). The Heat had a couple of guys step up for them lately (Haslem, especially) but it's good to have multiple options like Marion and Jet and Barea when other things aren't working. It would mean a lot to the area if they can pull this off.