Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38409 times)

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
Re: NBA
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
Man I wish I could find that article I read awhile back where somebody was arguing that the "true point guard" was becoming unnecessary in the modern game.

Was the author watching the NCAA tournament?  A little Final Four team from VCU with a scrappy PG?  Taught me something about the game, that kid did.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »
Well it really looks like OKC has to work on the last five minutes of the game because in the last two of them I have seen they have utterly sucked. Not to take anything away from Dallas but wow.

On Mike & Mike this AM they were interviewing the Mavs coach - said the Mavs outscored the Thunder something like 32-8 in the last five minutes of the last two games combined.
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
All of this insightful basketball commentary explains why I have no idea what's going on at the French Open.   :lol:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »
:lol:

The Heat, alas, have also been finishing games well in the post-season.  It's one of the ways they killed the Celtics, who were out of gas at the end of most games.  But that was partly because the C's had almost no bench left.

Sportswriters have to come up with a column, and then another one, and then another one.  It's inevitable they'll say that the game has changed, and that it's changed fundamentally, and that some players eat peanut butter before a game while others eat spaghetti.  They have to say something.

Changes in the rules do change the game, and some teams need a proper point guard less than others.  The Heat, for instance, since Wade can certainly play pretend point guard, and LeBron can as well if he remembers to.  And the Lakers had Magic, of course.  A really good point guard, though, will get you more points out of your team for less effort while making the other team work harder -- and they'll keep your players happier by keeping everyone involved.

In the articles arguing that Kidd might be one of the best point guards of all time, a couple of writers have noted that Stockton, by modern stat mashes and analysis, might have been as good an offensive player as Jordan.  And Stockton was one of the highest-assist point guards of all time.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
So . . . it's Heat-Mavs.  I don't think Dallas has ever had as many people root for it.  Not even when J. R. got shot.

Thing is, the Heat played sloppily in several games and then came back viciously in the last few minutes to win.  They were down by 12 in the last three minutes last night, for instance.  The Mavs have also come back from behind to win in the last half of the last quarter during the post-season, but those games were more closely fought.  Miami didn't have much excuse for being down 12 near the end last night, because Chicago wasn't playing that well.

But the main problem is that you can't count on playing the last six minutes like the first six minutes.  Sometimes people are on the verge of fouling out.  Or tired.  Or hurt.

But mostly, if both teams play that way, it's going to come down to the refs.  UGH.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
Speaking of the outcome depending on the refs, this doesn't bode well.

Derrick Rose tries for the ball, misses everything; LeBron gently hits himself in the face with the ball and then goes into Samson Agonistes

And he got the call.  I do hope the ref saw the replay later and felt bad.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »
NBA refs are soulless.  They do exactly as their told.  NBA < legitimate than WWE
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »
So, OK, possibly historically awesome trade in the works, although of course it may never happen.

Cleveland currently has the #1 draft pick, and also the #4.

Detroit has the #8 pick.  They also have Richard Hamilton, a good veteran player who's (A) overpaid and (B) in a longterm feud with Detroit's coach.  He basically hasn't played for the Pistons this past year and is costing them a fortune in wasted salary, with another two years on his contract.

Minnesota has the #2 pick.

SO.  Cleveland wants to get Hamilton and the #8 pick from Detroit, which would let Detroit dump Hamilton's salary and go hire someone else.  Someone good, because that's a buttload of money.  (Then Cleveland would buy Hamilton out, and he'd probably sign with Chicago, which is win-win-win.)  Then Cleveland would trade the #4 and #8 picks to Minnesota for the #2 pick.

Cleveland would then have both the #1 and #2 picks.  Everybody wins!

But Detroit might not do it without additional incentives.  If this coming year has a lockout, then they won't have to pay Hamilton's full salary that year, so they may be less worried about that.  But we'll see.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
That was a fantastic game last night, I thought. If the Mavs pull this off they might as well start carving Dirk's bust for the Hall of Fame.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
Both of these teams have an ability to crank it up to 11 in the fourth quarter, as I mentioned before.  It makes for interesting games, and no lead is safe.  When the Mavs flounder late, it's usually because of foul trouble, and I thought Chandler's foul trouble was going to doom Dallas in this one.  The officiating was kind of questionable at times, but no one seems to agree which team, if either, got better treatment.  The pressure on the refs in these games must be pretty huge, regardless.

Nowitzki is the MVP of the post-season so far.  Even if Miami takes this by brutal force and James carries them, I still think Nowitzki will probably deserve the award.  He's been incredible.  And Shawn Marion has been awesome.

LBJ tried hard last night, but -- whether this is good or bad -- he doesn't carry his team.  Nine times out of ten, it's either Wade or nobody.  If Wade gets too hurt, I don't see Miami winning this; if he stays healthy, I wouldn't want to place a bet.  If his career ends prematurely, I don't know what would happen in Miami.

Still really, really hoping Dwight Howard doesn't end up in Miami.  I'd rather see him join the Lakers than the Heat.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=9578

Honestly, just looking at the quarter-by-quarter stats vastly understates the magnitude of Dallas' comeback.

They were down 88-73 with 6 minutes and 19 seconds left in the game. Using the win probability methodology Wayne Winston laid out in Mathletics, a team winning by 15 at home with 6.32 minutes left in the game should win 99.978% of the time, putting the chances of a Dallas comeback at 1 in 4,550. As a second opinion, Ed Kupfer's win probability metric says a team winning by 15 at home with 6:19 to play should win 99.592% of the time, making the Mavs' comeback a 1 in 245 proposition.

Either way, Miami was less than a half of a percentage point away from taking a 2-0 lead to Dallas and giving themselves a 79% probability of winning a championship. Instead, they now sit at 46%. It's not quite on the level of Dallas blowing a 90% chance in 2006... but it's shockingly close.

Super d-bag performance by D-Wade all the way through, too. The flopping and diving (esp. the one at the end of the game with no one near him) would have made a calcio player blush.

Anyway, it was glorious.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:29 PM »
Anyway, it was glorious.

... glorious!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2011, 06:02:57 AM »
Well, if the refs fall down on the job, maybe the Organians will step in, however reluctantly.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
This is off topic but night before last I woke up with the amazing, fantastic idea that some dedicated otaku should take all of the original series and assemble clips and dubs and some new effects and cut it all into Spock Must Die.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

omg NBA Champs! this is so great!! can't say much more right now, everybody's just enjoying the moment

in the meantime, here's a funny video