Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38410 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: NBA
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
:lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The Mavs definitely won; they spanked the hell out of the Heat.  This was a battle between two teams that had been kicking ass in the fourth quarter and just overwhelming opponents.  The difference is that the Heat had been playing fairly lazily for most of three quarters and then turning on the star power in the fourth; the Mavs had been playing solidly as a team and picking up momentum as the game went along, plus a number of people amping it up in crunch time (especially Dirk, but also Barea and Jet, obviously).

Other teams collapsed against the Heat stars, but the Mavs did not.  Instead, they kept playing the way they'd been playing.  They didn't worry about fouling James and Wade and didn't suffer any failures of confidence.  They did the teamwork thing that Boston did when they won the title a few years ago.  And they won convincingly.

They seem to be in good shape for next year, but weirdly different commentators have been throwing out really different numbers.  If the one-player amnesty rule goes through, though, they'll probably cut poor Hayward, which would give them like another $8 million for signing free agents.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
If I Could Be Like Dirk

Funny idea, fairly funny execution.  I laughed, but not out loud.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
Dirk sings! Heh, this was the best moment of today's victory parade (200,000 attendees, no riots)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:30 PM »
:rollin:

It's a big win for America.  And possibly Germany.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »
Stay Soft, Dirk Nowitzki

I love the last couple of lines of this article:  And in the end, isn't that the really successful American story? You know, the one about how the immigrant assimilates and changes us for the better, not the other way around.

I only wish the people we nearly eradicated to take over this land had the privilege of agreeing with the sentiment.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

First Post

• Trusted

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Heh.  It's arguably funnier that Cleveland had the time of its life celebrating someone else's sports victory.

Mark Cuban is not that bad -- not for a dotcom billionaire, not for a guy who's constantly in the press just because he's a rich guy who likes to do and say whatever he feels like, and certainly not for a sports team owner.  Yes, he bitches at the refs, etc, but not more than Phil Jackson.  He's an owner, not a coach, so he's not supposed to do that.  Frankly, I like how hands-on he is . . . without ruining everything ([cough cough] Knicks).

And if you were a player, would you not want this guy to be your owner?  He wants to be your buddy.  This is an owner who not only is a psycho fan (most owners could give a shit) but even understands the game itself.  His attitude is that nothing is too good for his players.  The Mavs locker room is literally world-famous for its amenities.  He did trade Steve Nash, but no one's perfect.

Now Jason Kidd . . . I don't know WTF happened in his marriage.  Obviously we heard bad things about him, but later there were plenty of bad things reported about her, and way back when he pleaded guilty to domestic abuse, there were rumors that he was just trying to save the marriage and not stoke any drama.  A lot of people have said that she is/was genuinely crazy.  I don't know, and I do absolutely have concerns, but he's taken more shit over it than Kobe took for raping an allegedly borderline mentally handicapped teenager.

That stuff aside, not that I'm trying to marginalize it, Kidd was a classy player who played hard when his team was good and played hard when his team stunk.  He started in Dallas and came back to Dallas, still playing well at 38, to finally win a ring.  He's in third place for most triple-doubles ever and second place for most triple-doubles in the playoffs.  He's got the second-most assists ever.  He's the current most-games-played active player.  He's got two Olympic gold medals.

Seriously, it's not that hard to be happy for him finally winning the championship.  The Mavs are one of the least-hateable teams ever.

Dallas, the city, eh.  When the show was on, when the Cowboys were excessively pumped-up by the media everywhere.  I don't hear a lot of Dallas hate these days.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
This is sad (for me) -- the Celtics may be kind of screwed next year, in that they went from having half a dozen centers at one point last year to now having just one, Jermaine 'Glass Jaw' O'Neal.  And he's not even a true center.  Shaq retired, Perkins was traded, Krstic went to play in Russia . . . who else . . . Troy Murphy is technically still with the team at the moment, I think, but he's not a true center either, and he's kind of a bench player.  No offense to him.  But, uh, he's been in the league ten years, and this past year was the first time he played in a playoff game.

Meanwhile, the C's are way over the salary cap even if the cap wasn't going to be lowered, which everyone assumes will happen.  And there aren't a lot of centers out there that they could get.

At this point, people are arguing that Kwame Brown is the best bet, if they can even get him.  Kwame Brown.  A guy widely regarded as one of the biggest busts of the last decade.  I'd rather have Darko, who at least is younger and has a cool name.  (NOT because he's white.)  Besides, Darko's main problem seems to be his attitude, and the C's have been pretty good about rehabilitating attitudes.  Better than the Pistons and Timberwolves, anyway.

Kwame Brown!  Oy.  But I guess this increases our chances of keeping Big Baby.  We need all the big guys we can get.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
I realize this is of limited interest, but speaking of Big Baby:  Glen Davis wasn't mentally ready for the playoffs

Which was obvious from how he played, but, uh:

"I feel I know what's most important to me and that's Glen being Glen. I can't perform the way I need to perform if I'm not Glen Davis. I need to be in situation where I'm going to be Glen Davis. If it's here with the Celtics or with somebody else. I just want to make sure I'm Glen Davis, whatever I do, wherever I'm at. That's all I'm really concentrating on, being Glen Davis, and being a complete player.  [...]  I can be Glen Davis wherever.  It depends on the system, the people around the system, who is going to let Glen Davis be Glen Davis, not let Glen Davis be something they think he should be."

STEVE HOLT!  I mean, GLEN DAVIS!

Sounds like he needs to prepare mentally for giving interviews.  Poor guy is going to get mocked all over again . . . .

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
Reportedly, the Lakers are talking to the Timberwolves about trading Pau Gasol for Kevin Love, the #2 pick in the draft, and miscellaneous other pieces to make the salaries match up.

This would be the stupidest thing the Timberwolves have done.  Which is saying a lot.  I wouldn't trade Love for Gasol right now if the draft pick, etc, were on the other side of that equation.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
I still realize this is of limited interest, and I realize this is a highlight reel that only shows when the player did something right, but . . . this is former Purdue player JaJuan Johnson.

The Celtics picked him 27th in what was reportedly the weakest draft in at least ten years.  He's a skinny (or 'wiry') 6'10" alley-ooping, dunking, blocking, rebounding, fast-breaking, fall-away, step-back, fade-away kid who's comfortable shooting up to 20' from the basket.  He shot three-pointers in college and even hits his free throws.  He's pretty no-nonsense, a good team player, and has a standing jump of over 3'.  He's been injury-free.  He has a jump hook, and his jump shots have a high arc.

The obvious comparison, to Kevin Garnett, is unfair, but weirdly enough Garnett will be his mentor in Boston.  A lot of teams passed him up because he seems too skinny to play power forward in the NBA -- and a lot of analysts assume he may have to play center in Boston.

I say have him take aikido lessons and learn to 'pull the chair'.  Worst case, look elsewhere for weight and keep this kid as a really tall small forward.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
Sarah Palin and Glen Rice? (Warning: Gawker Media. also followup) This could have gone in Politics too, but sadly it doesn't look like there will be much NBA news for a while  :cry: (Plus the FIBA tourneys are winding down)

For context, although he doesn't get mentioned as much anymore, Rice was one of Jordan's few contemporaries that he respected game-wise. He won titles in college and the pros.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »
I saw the video clip of her reading the sports on that Alaska TV station and, man, I reached for the remote fast. She really, really sucked. Made you wonder if sucking is how she got that job, ifyaknowwhatImeananIthinkyoudo.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
I admit, I'm more surprised by the Glen Rice thing than the fellatio job application thing.

Weirdly, although I'm rarely there, Deadspin works fine for me even though Gawker sites generally don't.  I had no idea it was Gawkish.  :shrug:

The NBA thing is sad, and my thoughts have gone back and forth.  Sympathies to the 'hot dog vendors', certainly.  But I have to side with the players.  If there aren't enough really good players right now for conference parity, never mind team parity, then obviously the association needs the players more than the players need the association.

If major NBA stars dumped the NBA for new ABA teams in major cities instead of going overseas . . . the NBA teams would be screwed.  If the NBA teams started hiring non-NBA ringers . . . the current NBA stars could still go join ABA teams, and the fans would want to see those teams more than see their 'favorite' teams with lesser talents they'd never heard of.

I think the contract and salary cap system wasn't terribly well-designed and probably needed to be redone from scratch, but not because either group was hurting for cash.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
If major NBA stars dumped the NBA for new ABA teams in major cities instead of going overseas . . .

ABA? What year is it?

Bring back the red white and blue basketball!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d