Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38412 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: NBA
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »
Might be the best thing for him.  I'm curious what kind of trade would result.  People thought the Lakers were practically cheating when they traded for him in the first place.

If they somehow get Kevin Love, I'll be pretty annoyed.  I wouldn't be upset if they get Dwight Howard, though.

:hmm:

edit:  I do know that Howard and Gasol play different positions.  Although I'm not 100% Kobe couldn't play opposite Howard and Bynum, which would at least not be dull.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #241 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »
The officiating counts for a whole lot, obviously, but realistically I can't see the Heat beating the Spurs or the Thunder in a seven-game series.

The Spurs are just too consistent and deep, and the Heat are neither.  With the Thunder, Durant is roughly equivalent to James, and Westbrook is roughly equivalent to Wade, except again I think the Thunder are a bit more consistent.  And the Thunder supporting players are definitely better than the Heat's supporting players.

I think Stern dreads the Spurs winning yet another title, but frankly right now I like them for it.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »
Bosh is injured so I'm back to hating Miami big time. Unit 3's a Thunder guy, so I have to help him out there, but I've got a soft spot for San Antone because of all the oldies on the team. I'm ageist.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
They're both fabulous teams.  It's a shame they can't meet in the Finals.  Since Westbrook has settled down, the Thunder are pretty purely likeable, and the Spurs are more or less the team I wish the Celtics would be.

The Heat, yeah, are just not rehabilitating their image.  They made the Lakers unhateable, but that's as far as that seems to go -- they can't seem to do the same thing for themselves.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
Oh no, I have to disagree. Nothing short of Magic Johnson stepping out of a Tardis at age 21 and rejoining the team will make the Lakers unhateable. I think even most Lakers fans hate the Lakers right now, not to mention pretty much everyone else (and some of the Lakers).
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
:lol:

Well, to non-Laker fans, they're a bit pathetic right now, which helps make them less hateable.  But since so many people who aren't Laker fans would have been not merely happy but relieved to have seen the Lakers beat the Heat . . . it's hard to hate the Lakers that same way.

The press has been talking about how the Lakers need to trade Bynum for Howard straight up.  What, getting Shaq from Orlando wasn't insult enough?  I haven't looked into salary matchups, but Bynum + Gasol for Howard + pieces seems more nearly fair.  And if Orlando is lucky, they can then bounce Bynum for a mediocre but hard-playing center + pieces.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #246 on: May 25, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
OKC having a national champion would be amazing.  The Spurs have already won too many.  Miami deserves to lose and the city has had plenty of champs (fins, marlins).
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
OKC having a national champion would be amazing.

BOOOOO
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
Heh.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
Ugh.  Officiating in the NBA is always suspect, but even the major professional sports commentators can't stop hinting that the refs threw the Heat-Celtics game last night.  It was ridiculous even for ridiculous.

I still say the Heat can't possibly beat the Thunder in a fair series, and apparently the Thunder can't beat the Spurs.  At this point, the Spurs should win the title walking away.  We'll see.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
As it turns out, the Thunder could beat the Spurs.  This is one of those years where the best two teams are in the same conference.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
That was a hell of a turnaround. We sat down for dinner, Thunder were down by 15 and I figured, okay, game seven coming, cool. We turned it back on after noms and it was dead heat with four minutes left. I ran to the bathroom or something and came back and Durant was hugging his mom on court. It happened like that fast. Was San Antonio all out of time outs or something and the networks all out of commercials? I've never seen four minutes in a championship game take less than half an hour before.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
I couldn't actually watch the game, but apparently San Antonio was incredible in the first half, and OKC was ridiculous in the second half.

The Thunder are playing out of their minds, they're mostly young and uninjured, and now they're going to have some time off before the Finals.  They're also a whole lot better, on paper, than the Heat or Celtics.  Unless they rust really fast, or can have their equilibrium disturbed by the C's, I think they're the champs.  Deservedly.

The Heat are having the problem where it's LeBron and Wade and some guys.  LBJ doesn't usually make his teammates better, and he rarely takes over a game.  Wade is clearly hurt or something, and enough defensive pressure will greatly reduce his power.  Bosh is back, maybe?  But he can't outplay Garnett, at this point, and he can't handle Perkins (of OKC) unless Perkins has foul trouble.  The rest of the Heat are almost lost in the mix against a good team.

Frankly . . . all in all, it's looking like LBJ had a better team in Cleveland.  If he hadn't talked other stars out of signing there, I think he'd have a ring by now.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »