Author Topic: NBA  (Read 38413 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: NBA
« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
:lol:  From the bench, in fact.

But no, they published photos of him in crazy bowling form.  Crazy because he's like 19' tall.  And because allegedly he can hardly bend his knees.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2012, 01:43:59 AM »
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
OK, this was just a development league game, the NBA equivalent of the minors.  But.  A Celtics rookie with the excellent name of Fab Melo had a triple-double the other night, and even though his team lost (oops), he still impressed:  15 points, 16 rebounds, and 14 blocks.

Yes, 14 blocks in one game.  That must have been hilarious.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
Freaking brothers everyway like M.J.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
Mutombo had a few of those back in the day.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »
Rondo's down with a season-ending knee injury.  :thumbsdn:  He can be a pain in the ass, but he's awfully good to watch.  And awfully good, period.  He was the Celtics' best player on paper.  Since the beginning of last season, he's had 15 triple-doubles.  Fifteen.  That's the best in the league.  Second place goes to the all-powerful LeBron, who's had . . . three.  In the five games before he was injured, Rondo average 18.8 points, 10.4 assists, and 8.8 rebounds.  Averaged.

Of course, there's such a thing as trying to do too much, and the Celtics lost all five of those games.  Not that it was Rondo's fault, realistically.

So as of today, no more Rondo.  Weirdly (and admirably), the C's beat Miami today (suck it, LeBron) in double overtime.  Oddly enough, they lost their previous game in double overtime.  It'd been over fifty years since they had two consecutive double-overtime games.  I guess it's just a weird season.

I blame global warming.  And I hope Rondo heals well.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
LeBron James Playing Flawless Basketball In Pathetic Bid For Nation's Approval.

:lol:  Basically true, and, fuck you, no.

If he can play a full season without acting like a dick and win the championship or at least have a hell of a good reason why not, then maybe.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
:lol:  Yeah.

The Lakers and Celtics are about equally screwed right now, although for different reasons.  The C's are, once again, seemingly nearly out of players as season-ending injuries have struck down their alleged best player, their best rookie (who was even a starter at times), and two key backup players.  Their elderly veterans are still going strong as ever, though.

The Lakers had a hell of a job trying to make their new pieces fit.  Steve Nash is a brilliant player if you're playing a very specific type of basketball, which is not the type that Kobe or Gasol or Dwight Howard usually play.  Kobe and probably Gasol could have adjusted; I don't know if Kobe or Howard would be willing to.  But it hasn't happened.  And Howard has been a bust, all things considered.

I don't think either team can make a strong stab at much of anything this season, and I don't think there's any trade or change of coach or what have you that can fix that.  Fortunately for me, I don't care about the championship much.  I like team cohesion and lots of little victories.  Which I suppose doesn't help a Lakers fan at this point . . . .

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #295 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »
Annnnd, things get worse, for the Lakers. Jerry Buss has died.

Who takes over ownership? Oh RIGHT. The girl whose boyfriend was passed over for the head coach job. :galm: Well, not entirely. But I foresee interesting times for the Lakers management. This article suggests that like every time they've slumped, Jerry stepped in to negotiate a player deal that turned them back into contenders again. Interesting.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »
It's been a curious year for LA.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
It's been a curious year for LA.

Should start looking up for the Lakers now. Unit 3 was down in Redondo for the Nike Invitational (he PR'd in the 3200, did not finish last, yay, and the school did great overall), and he and a friend were getting dinner at the Whole Foods deli when they ran into Pau Gasol. So I'm thinking this is the moment when it all turns around for LA.

(pix tomorrow I hope)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
To me, personality aside -- although it is a huge and significant thing -- the difference is that MJ made it look like it was easy for him, whereas Kobe makes it look like he has some supernatural power to force ugly shot after ugly shot to go into the basket.

MJ really did appear to float.  Kobe often pulls a quick-stop jump-back shot that's physically incredible but looks like it ought to cause an ankle to separate.

While I definitely believe MJ was a far better player in most ways, it looks like Kobe works harder.  I don't know that that's a good thing, but it's kind of impressive.  I think the irony is that LBJ, say, doesn't look like he's working hard, but unlike MJ he winds up looking not so much like a graceful freak of nature as like a grubby superhuman who just can't be bothered to try hard most of the time.

To some extent, these are unfair subjective characterizations.  But we're basically talking entertainment, anyway.