Author Topic: NBA  (Read 35038 times)

pdrake

Re: NBA
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »
cake and other stuff  . . .
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »
Now DeMarcus "Boogie" Cousins has joined the Warriors for about a third of what he probably could have gotten for another team.

Cousins was often said to currently be the best center in the league, and then he injured his achilles tendon.  The charitable cynics are saying that maybe he wouldn't be able to play much this coming year, and so he's joining the Warriors on the cheap to (A) rehab on a team that doesn't need him and (B) pick up a championship ring without having to do anything to get it. 

I dunno.  If you think championship rings are a really big deal, then that either makes sense or is profoundly scummy.  Of course, he might be able to play at, say, 90% this upcoming season, in which case . . . the Warriors still really really don't need him.

The Warriors won approximately all the games last year, due to already being absurdly overloaded.  They now have a theoretical starting lineup of five of the top eight players in the league, depending on who's ranking them.  Sports Illustrated seems to think it's more like only five out of the top twenty, but basically the Warriors are the All-Star Team, and many in the press, the fans, and even the other players in the league are complaining that next season will be pointless.  :lol:

I don't think the situation is quite that bad, and you gotta wait and see, but a couple of obvious strategies have been discussed on the internets and, no doubt, in team offices.

For instance, other teams could intentionally try to injure the Warriors' star players.  Grim but obvious.

For that matter, other teams could intentionally make games against the Warriors horrible to watch.  Foul constantly, bench major players, play wrong or crazy or stupid, lose on purpose.  If the Warriors are going to win anyway, make it truly pointless and hurt their revenue.  The league can't let parity dwindle too much, or it gets to Globetrotters territory.

The players' union is also pissed off because superstars aren't supposed to take deals way under market.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, myself.

I do find the situation kind of amusing because it makes life harder for the LeBrakers.  I have no idea how this will affect their chances of getting another big star to play alongside LeBron.  On the one hand, there isn't much point in anyone going to the Lakers just because they want to win, now, because they probably won't.  Certainly they don't need to go out there cheap, because they can't out-cheap Cousins' move to the Warriors.

On the other hand, maybe the Spurs or whoever figure to hell with it, what does it matter, and trade a big star to whomever for whatever.

Meanwhile, the New Orleans Basketball Team got screwed the worst, as Cousins dumped them for the Warriors right after Rondo, their star point guard, went to the Lakers to play with his former enemy, LeBron.

Personally, I don't take the playoffs seriously, and my lifetime team (the Celtics) (A) won't play the Warriors often during the regular season and (B) are set up to be good for like a decade, whereas the Warriors are on track to mostly likely decline around the same time that LeBron and Harden decline.  And I'm glad the Celtics didn't make a trade for Cousins.

So, you know.  :popcorn:  With extra salt.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2018, 01:22:27 AM »
Boogie is doing what he needs to do.  He'll get plenty of TV time now that he's on the Warriors.  He'll show everyone he can be a team player.  He'll get a ring.  He'll have fun.  Then he'll get picked up the next year and get a multi-year contract worth big money, probably Eastern Conference where he can dominate and play for another championship against the Warriors.  I'm sorry to see JaVale go though.  He's my favorite.  Ian and I went to his JugLife charity softball game on June 23 and had a blast.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Yeah, I don't see any reason Cousins shouldn't make this move.  And I'm not among those mad at Durant for his move West, either.

I remain unimpressed with how LeBron does these things.  His move to the Lakers is fine, but allegedly he did it without talking to them much (unless he did so illegally before it was allowed, although, honestly, those rules are pretty dumb). 

Reports say he hasn't spoken to the coach yet.  His defenders were like He announced the move and went on vacation!  What do you expect him to do, delay his vacation?  Which, for what he gets paid, yes, I would expect him to at least make a phone call first.

Of course, many people say LeBron doesn't listen to coaches, and there are (of course) already rumors that he may have Walton dumped so he can install someone more pliable.  But maybe that's in the past.  The Lakers are not the Cavaliers; Jeanie Buss is not Dan Gilbert.  I would be happy to believe that LeBron is ready to settle down and try things someone else's way.  And you can't really blame him for a heavy-handed approach in Cleveland; you can only criticize how well it worked.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #349 on: July 06, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »
If he gets Walton fired, he probably won't even make the playoffs.  Sure he can play 48 minutes and get to the playoffs in the East, but it's not going to work that way having to play the majority of the games against West opponents.  He pulls that shit and they'll probably end up in 10th or worse.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #350 on: July 07, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
I know, right?  Probably.

I'm way more curious how this works out than I was when he went to Miami or back to Cleveland.  Him playing alongside Rondo makes it even more interesting.  People have been joking that LeBron will get Wade to go to LA, but . . . there's kind of some bad blood between Rondo and Wade.