Author Topic: soccer  (Read 4673 times)

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
soccer
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:52 AM »
We were watching Copa Oro (Gold Cup) games last night. Group C was Panama, Canada, USA, and Guadalupe. Panama beat the USA, so last night's games were Panama (the leader in the group) vs. Canada, then USA vs. Guadalupe.

Canada got a goal in about halfway through the game, they were working it and looking good, and Panama was playing quite cautiously. Then when the ninety minutes were up, they added three more minutes onto the clock for... I forget... just after they announced it, Panama scored a bounce-back-and-forth will-it-go-in goal, ending the game 1-1. So Canada needed Guadalupe to win against the USA to advance to the quarterfinals, but the USA won that game 1-0, their only goal being an impressive kick straight in quite far from the net. USA was playing pretty sharp though. Then again it was a home game for the US, since the games were in Kansas City. (The stadium was like 1/10th full when the Panama/Canada game started but filled out a lot by the time the USA game started.)

I'm not really a sports person and I don't know a lot about soccer, but I do get into the watching the games if I have an angle to. I got into the World Cup last year. I like that my SO will watch with me. I do not watch hockey with him, lol. (Game 7 tonight, there is no hockey thread, do none of you watch it?)
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: soccer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
I can hardly see the puck, on TV, so to me hockey is guys skating around until a fight breaks out, and the fighting annoys me because it's obviously part of the game but technically against the rules, which to me is fundamentally stupid.  Either put it in the rules, and regulate it properly, or knock it off.

I don't know what they can do about the puck.  Lighting it up on TV, like they tried in the 90s, was eh.  Maybe if they went full Tron.  It'd be easy enough to do on TV.

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
Altidore, not a bad shot. Gold Cup has been interesting so far.

(I know one of the guys on the US team; he used to live in our apt complex. Actually I think he ended up marrying our landlord, haha)

Even people who don't normally watch hockey should enjoy the intensity of a Stanley Cup Game Seven.

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »
Even people who don't normally watch hockey should enjoy the intensity of a Stanley Cup Game Seven.

Yes, I'm sure I will be watching it tonight, even though I've mostly avoided it so far (aside from all my friends commenting - on both sides - on FB)
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »
I do not watch hockey with him, lol. (Game 7 tonight, there is no hockey thread, do none of you watch it?)

We have a whole NHL thread and everything!
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
Haha, see how well I'm avoiding it? I was looking for "hockey".  Derp.

Anyway, no one's posted in it for the Stanley Cup games at all, so.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
I stopped watching as closely once the warm-weather states' teams were out of it, but I have been half-watching the Finals.  I don't understand why Boston can score four goals a night at home and zero in Vancouver.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
  I don't understand why Boston can score four goals a night at home and zero in Vancouver.

I've been wondering about that, and I think hockey is as much a psychological game as soccer. The players are the same kind of emotional prima donnas as soccer players (or basketball players, viz the recently deposed king james), only with fewer teeth. It's why fighting is such an important part of the game, it can demoralize your opponent and galvanize your team. I imagine the home environment can have a significant effect as well. Kind of like the Metrodome for the Twins' World Series teams, etc.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
I have no time for spectator sports.  I didn't even watch the world series last year when the Giants were in it.  hmmm, maybe that's why they won.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
Tomorrow at 3 PM EDT is Jamaica vs. USA and at 6 PM is Panama vs. El Salvador - these are quarterfinals.
So we'll have the games on again.

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
Panama wins - it was a tense game against El Salvador!!
Now it's Panama vs. USA in the semifinals, Wed night in Houston. :dance:
Panama already beat the US so I'm very excited... can't wait

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »
PANAMA

:band: :jam: :headbang:

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
:galm:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »
Good beans for Japan!  (They can use them to fend off ogres.)

But this is why I could never get into soccer as a pro sport.  Any soccer game decided by penalty kicks, to me, doesn't really count.  :shrug: 

I was imagining if in the NBA, a tie game didn't go to overtime but instead had each team award five free throws. 

Nah.

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
What's David Beckham doing?
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/tomandlorenzo/view/10516700

warning: balls