Author Topic: SHAFT! You're daaaamn right  (Read 1070 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
SHAFT! You're daaaamn right
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: SHAFT! You're daaaamn right
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
In theory, it's awesome.  I have visions of hitting a bump and disengaging the cogs, though, and then you might be screwed.

Personally, I'll take an internal planetary 3-gear over a derailleur two-lever 17-speed EVERY SINGLE TIME.  I am not Lance Armstrong; I do not need to shoot for maximum efficiency (or I'd want an automatic CVT, anyway, so I could always pedal at peak rate).  I expect bicycling to require some work, and, anyway, it's better exercise if you don't have optimal gear ratios all the time.

A 5-speed or 7-speed hub transmission would be just about perfect, if I had money to spend on a bike.

I would still like to try a bike with a giant clock spring inside the rear wheel.  When you pedal, you tension the spring, and you have a thumb-switch throttle.  When the spring unwinds, it rotates the ratchet sprocket that the bike chain would normally turn.  Or screw it, no transmission, have the spring directly turn the hub or (depending on torque issues) the inside rim of the wheel.  It's just an experiment.

The main advantage there, aside from amusement, is that you can wind the spring by pedaling at the same time you're unwinding it for thrust, because with a clock spring you can apply tension separately at both the center and the outer edge.  The spring makes up the difference between how much you're putting in at the pedals and how much you're taking out to go down the road, so you can pedal at a constant rate but just take as much power as you need.  Well, until the spring is either wound as tightly as possible or as slack as possible.  It's just a mechanical battery.

edit:  You could set things up so the brake on the rear wheel winds the spring, similar to the regenerative brakes on a hybrid car, but that would be more complicated.