Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 78353 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1380 on: February 07, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »
One week seemed like a sadly short operating life.

That is actually the MTBF for Windows 10. There is one copy of which has been running without a crash for years, but Windows Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1381 on: February 07, 2019, 11:33:23 PM »
One week seemed like a sadly short operating life.

That is actually the MTBF for Windows 10. There is one copy of which has been running without a crash for years, but Windows Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted.
That meme has improved statistical literacy so much.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1382 on: February 09, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
All I can say is, I continue to say "Fuck Microsoft!" and not mean it as some weird fetish.

Actually, I just realized that this year I've been using Windows for like 30 years.  And it's always been crap.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1383 on: February 10, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
I have to say, I've used every version of Windows in some capacity since Windows 3.

Windows 10 is the worst one, hands down.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1384 on: February 11, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »
Seriously, it's not original for me to say it, but 3.11 was the best overall, even without strong multitasking.  It was fast and light, it was simple, it was easy to customize at considerable depth -- it was easy to alter menus and hotkeys, FFS, or to get swappable third-party desktop shells for.  When something went wrong, it was easy to restart. 

edit:  Also, I think 3.11 was the last version that had a fully functional version of Paint.  This is minor, but also symptomatic.  MS could never bother to fix, say, the color eraser on later versions of Paint, even though they still included the color eraser with later versions of Paint.  :nonplused:

Of the post-95 versions, XP is still the only one I found truly tolerable.

My ancient ThinkPad is finally starting to really die.  :(  Not sure how I'll replace it.  It was under $200, it's worked flawlessly for I think six years (except the DVD drive, which became untrustworthy after about two years), it has a terrific keyboard, and it runs my Linux install perfectly.  I've never asked anything more difficult of it than streaming video, and it was my Netflix machine for years.  I mostly use it for writing.

I dunno.  Part of it is just that I'm so sick of farking around with uncooperative PCs, trying to get them to usable.  I start reading articles on how to Linux a used Chromebook or some damned thing, and my brain starts to throw up.  :whatever:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:35:24 PM by random axe »

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1385 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »
SO now Chrome . . . F6 doesn't just move the cursor to the address bar but also sometimes selects a tab, uh, tab, instead.

First of all, there are already keyboard shortcuts for every piece of tab management that you seem to be able to do from said tab tab selection.  It's hard to believe Google hasn't removed those keyboard shortcuts, but not yet.  So this seems to be a sloppy unnecessary duplication of function.

Second of all . . . the F6 key now does two unrelated things.  What The Fuck.  Neither F7 nor F8 nor F9 nor F10 seems to do a damned thing, so it's not like they'd run out of keys.  This is the purest kind of stupid and bad.

Weirdly . . . Google's own support page claims that F10 selects "the last item in the Chrome toolbar".  That either doesn't mean what I think it does, or it doesn't work.  :shrug:

It also claims that pressing F10 + Enter opens the Chrome Menu.  Not on my install of Chrome, it doesn't.  Also, WTF kind of key combination is that?  Control, Shift, Alt -- those are continuous function keys.  The Function Keys, per se, are supposed to be instant, not continuous.

Do the people at Google not normally use computers?