Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 79318 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1395 on: March 06, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »
I almost envy you.  :P

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1396 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »
Axe, since you are such a fan of AMP, google has now brought it to gmail. It's like its own little app running in your message.

Quote from: somebody in comments section of HN
Further to this... at this point, Google controls:

- the largest browser people use to view pages (Chrome)

- the largest platform people use to run that browser (Android)

- the largest way people discover content online (Google Search)

- the largest way people advertise online (Google Ads)

- the largest way people share video online (YouTube)

- the largest email provider (Gmail)

This is way too much power over the internet in one corporate entity.

Itís way beyond what MS ever accomplished at their height, and itís way beyond anything Apple ever accomplished either.

The power Google have over the internet at large and the content people consume at this point frankly terrifies me.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1397 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
I detest the JS "full" version of Gmail, so I almost always only use it in basic HTML.  That seems to hold off the crap-ass AMP bullshit.

Google isn't merely way out of hand, though.  They're also stupidly evil, and just bad at their alleged core competencies.  Half of their products are such crap, now, that I either don't bother using them or constantly flirt with alternatives.

It's too bad that DuckDuckGo is so badly set up.  Bing . . . well, I expect crap from Microsoft, but a simple plain-old web search would be a lovely thing.  It could literally be one-tenth as fast as Google Search but actually search for the terms I entered, with no shenanigans or second-guessing, and I'd use it all day.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1398 on: March 26, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
I detest the JS "full" version of Gmail, so I almost always only use it in basic HTML.  That seems to hold off the crap-ass AMP bullshit.

The AMP crap can be turned off in gmail, supposedly, but they won't be happy until this crap infiltrates all email clients. They'll find some way to get major players to require it somehow. For example, I recently had to install Chrome to get an online order to work with a particular site. I uninstalled it after I was finished, and tracked down all the files and folders it left behind (I hope).

That online order is another story altogether. I spent a long time getting together enough small items to qualify for free shipping. I go to look at my cart and I get a blank page in both firefox and safari. Called customer service and they offer 20% off my order if placed online. Grrr. Installed Chrome, it works. I enter all my cc info, address etc., click submit and all these messages pop up under more than half the items saying this item is no longer in stock. It wouldn't show that until I had entered all my personal info. When originally placing my order, there were items that showed they were out of stock, but the items in my cart were shown as in stock, until I submitted the order. Called customer service again, and they were like, "Oh, some items sell out really fast, they must have sold out while you were placing your order". That's somewhat plausible, seeing how it took me hours to complete the order, but obviously not true. I ended up cancelling the order. The brick and mortar store (who came up with that phrase?) is great, and their customer service is great, but the online operation is a nightmare, and history as far as I am concerned.

It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1399 on: March 27, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »
Amazon and Google are the two behemoths now.  AWS scares me more than Google FWIW.  Anyway if you haven't seen the Bezos two-parter that South Park did last season, I highly recommend it.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1400 on: March 27, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
I vastly, vastly prefer plain-text email.  I've yet to receive an email that wouldn't have been better in plain text, or text plus an attachment or link.

Also, the full-on Gmail is a cold garbage design disaster.  God, the It's Kind Of A Pop-Up But Kind Of Not A Pop-Up message composition . . . thing . . . alone demonstrates that Google couldn't find its ass with GPS and Bear Grylls helping out.

I've never actually gotten Thunderbird or another straight-ish email client to work with Gmail, but I wish I had.  I've just fucked around with it long enough to give up, a few times.  :shrug:  I've heard that people have done it. 

I'd totally pay a small monthly amount for an account with a good email interface, if there still is one, except honestly I don't get much email nowadays that isn't spam or advertisements.  Businesses still email me to make contact, but humans rarely do.  At work, we use email a little bit, but my clerks all dislike it (mostly because their experience of it is 95% shit-ass incompetent grinding ordeal school-related bullshit), and we seem to slowly be moving toward [ sigh ] a fake LAN using Dropbox.  :nonplused:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1401 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:46 PM »
Relevant.  AI (along with 5G) are the trends and:

"...It may not be an official government policy, but US industry and academia have clearly prioritized AI. I recently came across the phrase the G-MAFIA in this context, which makes it sound suitably evil, but is just the initials of 6 companies. They are Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, IBM, and Apple. All of them have huge AI efforts. That's not to say nobody else does. In some ways, all of tech has prioritized AI, and the G-MAFIA are just the biggest tech companies, and so the biggest investors. But despite the G-MAFIA, it is very international. In parallel with the G-MAFIA are BAT in China, which are Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent, also putting a lot of effort and investment into AI." (some PhD at work)
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1402 on: March 30, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Here's some other trendy shit I hate: 

As the mice take over again, to the detriment of the humans, and keyboard support withers, UI developers can't be bothered making 'selection' work right anymore.

My Linux install can't do selection display correctly, which is irritating as shit, but I give them a pass because it's free software.  FINE.  You don't know how to show which pane of the file manager or which window has focus; you have files in the list highlighted even though they don't have the focus either.  Totally broken, but I can live with it.

Windows 10 . . . File Explorer has at least three ways of displaying selection, and they're total crap.  They don't indicate whether the 'selection' has the focus or anything useful.  I'll be, like, OK, that file is selected, but I want to go two files down in the list, so I'll hit the cursor key (Is this new stuff?  Cursor control using the arrow buttons?), and File Explorer will . . . change the directory, because the focus is magically actually on the 'folder' list, even though there's no visual indication.

That kind of shit, all the time.

And MS has been promising since Windows 3 to learn the difference between a selected item (active) and a flagged item (constant).  But they still haven't.  Remember DOS file managers like XTree and DirMagic and Norton Commander and MS's own farking DOS Shell and so on?  They all had that basic feature.  Windows?  Still not.

Still.

FFS.  Such utter crap.  But, hey, they made the windows borders disappear and put animated buttons in the shitty pop-up menu.  So there's that.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1403 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:47 PM »
EVERY time I connect any USB drive to a Windows 10 machine, I get the message saying there's a problem with it and telling me I should run a scan.

EVERY time, if I do run the scan, it says there's no problem with it.

MS, if you drove a go-kart off a cliff, you'd miss the ground at the end of that fall.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1404 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
Gmail is now doing a thing where every time I manually save a draft, it creates a new copy of it.  Autosave doesn't seem to do that, but FFS.

I didn't need eight different versions of that email saved, you dumbass clown app coded by clowns.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1405 on: April 10, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
Also, this machine is FARKING FAST compared to every desktop I've previously owned, so why is nearly damn everything so goddamned slow in Windows 10?

JFC.  The ancient Linux machine running the crap 32-bit version of the OS is way faster.  :angry:

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #1406 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:17 AM »
Goddamn I've missed Axe complaining about things.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1407 on: April 12, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
:lol:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1408 on: May 06, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
I rarely rarely rarely use the Chromebook.  I dunno.  It's not growing on me.

It's really not a PC.  It's really a phone that doesn't make phone calls, but with a keyboard and touchpad and big screen that's not a touchscreen.  Can't emphasize that enough.

I'd say that if you get one, get one with a touchscreen.  They tend to be super sad when it comes to having USB ports and so on.  I may still see if ours will work with a USB mouse.  Our Lenovo has a so-so keyboard (you wouldn't want to type several pages at a time) and an irritating-as-fuck no-button touchpad.  The touchpad kinda sorta not-really works like a phone's touchscreen, but it's really not the same.

Beyond that, it's just not fast.  Using Chrome on it is slower than using the Chrome app on my phone.  In theory, we could run the Chrome app on the Chomebook instead of using Chrome for Chromebooks (Chrome), but I haven't tried it yet.  And the Chrome OS is nothing impressive.

So I dunno.  On the other hand, while the Chromebook cost four times as much as my $40 phone, it's cheaper than most people's phones.  And I could theoretically get my phone to print stuff using our wireless HP printer, but I wouldn't want to try setting it up to do that, and it's not too bad to print from the Chromebook . . . except you gotta print using the browser, basically, which is like using a spittoon to eat cereal.  :shrug:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1409 on: May 06, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
No way I'm going to switch everything to a phone.  I need a real keyboard.  My son has a keyboard case for his iPad, which could be a possibility, but doing spreadsheets and databases doesn't really work well on a phone or tablet.  I could at least do most of that on a chromebook.  Surprisingly google sheets has improved a lot and works nicely with Excel now.