Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 74670 times)

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1245 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
:lol:

Pretty much unrelated, but I was trying to create an alias with Hotmail the other day, and the help system over there is spread all over the place with bits here and there and they occasionally scramble the locations. I finally thought I found the instructions, and then it tells me I have to install Silverlight to view it  :lol: They'll do anything to cram that down people's throats. I eventually found the text version of the instructions under "more mail settings".

"more mail settings" is gone now.  :bitzero:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1246 on: March 04, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
Well that was painful. I don't want to discuss it.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1247 on: March 05, 2018, 09:46:25 AM »
Okay, long story short, you now have to double authenticate whenever you want to change certain things in Hotmail. So to add a new alias, I had to type in my alternate email address, it sends an email to it with a code number, and then I have to paste that number into a box. 5 minutes later when I realize that it didn't automatically create a new folder and send email for that address to that folder and I had to create a new rule, I had to go through the authentication process again. And the 'old' code would not work.

I understand why they are doing that now, and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if their whole system wasn't so counter-intuitive.

And I had just been through setting up a wireless router and a roku account, so I was a little bit aggravated already. Three things that I expected to take a few minutes turned into hours.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1248 on: March 05, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
Hotmail's been pretty shitty since Microsoft acquired it.  GO FIGURE.

Google Search no longer displays a link to a cached version of anything unless I turn JavaScript off.

:nonplused:

This really is a race to the bottom.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1249 on: March 05, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
Apple Maps on iOS actually works pretty much like Google Maps used to before they upfucked it. I'm kind of surprised, as I didn't expect this level of functionality from, you know, Apple.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1250 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
Surprisingly the nav app in the 2016 Highlander works surprisingly well.  We usually use that now instead of the phones.  My complaints are all about time and money or lack there of.  Scooter has a tooth abscess--$900 so far and another $600-$3600 in a couple of days.  I made the mistake of flying Frontier to Denver because it was the cheapest and had to pay an extra $400 to check bags and bring our carry-ons (they fucking charge for carry-ons too).  Anyway the cost was more than the original tickets.  Hotel also charged $42 a day for parking.  Now I remember why I don't travel.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1251 on: March 05, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
 :shock:

That sounds like my kind of luck. It's why I never change lines at the grocery any more.

I've never used the Apple Mapps more than a few seconds, but I remember reading it had a lot of errors. That was a long time ago though.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1252 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
I'm so sick of Chrome.  I really gotta learn how to run Android apps on a Linux PC, one of these days, because the mobile version of Chrome is at least tolerable.  :nonplused:

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #1253 on: March 05, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
Chromebook is nice if you want a keyboard. Many, but not all, can run Android apps natively now. If your mileage doesn't vary, somebody's cheating.
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1254 on: March 05, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
They give all the kids chromebooks in middle school now, so Ian will get one next year.  Hopefully it isn't too difficult for this old dog to learn.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1255 on: March 06, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
I'm not ready to trust Google with the OS, myself, so I'd have to put a Linux on there.  Actually, my current ThinkPad is getting ready to die, alas.  I find that desktops easily last a decade, but laptops maybe half that long, and that's if you put up with more decay.

I type a lot, and I've gotta have a good keyboard.  I've tried a few Bluetooth keyboards, and they were better than thumb-typing on a screen but not nearly as good as $5 USB keyboard or a Lenovo keyboard on a laptop.

A quick google shows a $100 reconditioned ThinkPad will typically have roughly twice the processing power and RAM of a $100 reconditioned Chromebook, with ten times the storage, just as a hard drive instead of SSD.  It's bigger, but I wouldn't be carrying it around with me all day.  The Chromebook is just a hard sell.  Either one will do word processing and basic internet, which is 95% of what I want.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1256 on: June 29, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
SO ANYWAY we don't want Windows 10 computers, but we have software and online services and shit that insist they won't work anymore if we don't go to Win10.  And they won't promise they work with Linux of any kind.  In fact, most of them won't answer email questions about Linux compatibility.

So we bought two goddamned refurbished desktops that come with Windows 10.  New(er) desktops, good idea, so whatever, man.

The Win10 thing, though. 

FIRST of all, like always, the sticker that has the absurdly long product key is placed so that if you plug the machine in and connect it to the internet and so on, you won't be able to see the sticker.  Better copy the code down first, so you'll have one fewer reason to curse MS during setup.

Second, though, they now have this scratch-it-off shiny label over part of the key, so that . . . I don't know, actually.  So the people who do the refurbishing can't steal your product key?  Anyway, you have to scratch the shiny off to see the whole code, and there's a thing that says that if you scratch it off, the warranty is void.

:nonplused:

A)  No, the law doesn't allow that.

B)  This is like saying you void the warranty if you buy the product.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1257 on: June 30, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
 :confused: I'm missing the point of software activation unless they give you an install disk, and then I would expect the key to be on the disk/container. I don't want to know.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1258 on: June 30, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »
Twist ties on bread should be twisted clockwise to close. That's universal law. Or do they twist counter-clockwise south of the equator?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1259 on: June 30, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
You may not want to know, but if I gotta, maybe you gotta.

Basically, you have to plug these computers into the net and then let them talk to MS, and MS turns the Windows install on.  It asks you for the code, or your machine is a brick.

Unless you wipe the drive and install Linux on it, which is what I'd rather do, but, alas, it won't work.