Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 75145 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1290 on: July 20, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
:galm:  I think almost all of our engineers have linux of some variety.  Us non engineers either have to use crapple or winblows.  Excel for crapple is worse than dealing with winblows, but fortunately I'm on 7.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1291 on: July 21, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
I'm going to cock punch steve ballmer when i see him.

You'll need precision.

pdrake

« Reply #1292 on: July 21, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
hehehe
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1293 on: July 29, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Jesus, Firefox is a clunk bucket these days.  FFS.  Chrome with JS turned off is honestly better, and that's just sad.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1294 on: July 29, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
I'm seriously afraid their days are numbered. I'm using their enterprise version 52, which is good for a couple more months, but I don't know what I'll do when that expires.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1295 on: July 30, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Chrome is shit, but its market penetration made everyone try to copy it.  I've never understood the lack of thinking behind that strategy.  It's not even proper bandwagonning -- it's not like Google couldn't produce enough Chrome to go around, and so a knockoff could horn in on that market.  It's not like other browsers were all "We're giving you Chrome -- except improved like this and that!"

There's no attempt to develop or market a real alternative or a better way.  It's just witless capitulation, begging for scraps.

It does amuse me slightly that Internet Explorer didn't inspire the same kind of imitation.  People assumed they could compete with Microsoft's shitty products.  Just not with Google's.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1296 on: July 31, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »
\It does amuse me slightly that Internet Explorer didn't inspire the same kind of imitation. 

Oh it did.  Mozilla definitely copied some of the stupider things in IE for Firefox when they went off the deep end and decided to drive off most of their users. 
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1297 on: July 31, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
I've read conspiracy theories that suspect Google of infiltrating Mozilla by sending them key employees, and to me it's a believable theory. I mean, there seems to be no explanation for some of their actions other than self-destruction and/or aggravation of their user base.

Take this article from today about rebranding.

...while there won't be any direct voting, you can leave a comment on the Mozilla blog with your preferences. Mozilla also notes these aren't final, and "Each individual icon will undergo several rounds of refinement, or may change entirely...

Beyond the fact that they will obviously ignore any input from users, at this point, who really gives a shit? Your product sucks, what difference does it make what label you put on it? Or are you just trying to piss off more of the few remaining old users by changing the design? Or are you trying to deflect attention from your product?

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1298 on: July 31, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
Mozilla definitely copied some of the stupider things in IE for Firefox when they went off the deep end and decided to drive off most of their users.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Firefox was driving me crazy yesterday because I accidentally hit Ctrl-Q when I meant to hit Ctrl-W.  I mean, they're right next to each other.  The browser instantly closed completely with no Are You Sure? message or anything.

In theory, it can restart and bring back all your open tabs and windows.  You know, like Opera started offering twenty years ago.  But it doesn't always work right.  And, unlike Opera has done forever, it doesn't seem to let you save arrangements of open tabs, yadda yadda, like you were bookmarking the whole schmeer.

Also, of course, if you were doing anything in a Private window, too fucking bad.  It's gone, man.

Also, some more, restarting sometimes . . . takes . . . a . . . very . . . long . . . time.  So convenient to just restart!  It's like it's a feature!

SO, to the googles.  And you get tons of Mozilla employees saying, "It seems to work fine for most users, so fuck you."  You can hack the config, in that way that tells you they don't want you to be able to change the settings, you user scum, but if you set it to warn you before closing the browser or before closing multiple tabs . . . it still doesn't.  :eyeroll:

The User Preference settings now contain almost nothing.  You get nothing!  Hey, thanks.  But, I mean, they took away the option to toggle JavaScript on and off.  Because fuck you.  Download a plug-in, if you want user controls!  Sheesh!

Then Firefox will disable the plug-ins at random moments on the grounds that it doesn't like them.  Ha ha!

I haven't found a functional workaround yet.  Firefox, unlike a good browser, doesn't let you customize the controls much.  The plug-ins that supposedly stop Ctrl-Q from working don't, not so far, although apparently that's mostly a Linux thing, huzzah.  Meanwhile, I tried taking over the hotkey combo using Mint itself, and that didn't work at all, either, for no reason I can see, but now I'm sick of it.

SO I guess they convinced me to use Chrome instead.  I'd use an older version of Opera, but I couldn't find a working download for Linux.  :nonplused:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1299 on: August 07, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Transferring files from USB to a Windows 10 machine.

About 55 minutes remaining

Sixty seconds later:

About 17 minutes remaining

Four minutes later:

About 13 minutes remaining

Twenty minutes later:

About 13 minutes remaining

Nice to see they still have no clue about file transfer rates. 

Hey, do we have the user-settings-stored-in-one-little-portable-file deal (that they promised would be in Windows 3.1) yet?

pdrake

« Reply #1300 on: August 07, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
i work with idiotic children.

every time some piece of equipment isn't working or needs paper or ink, i have to fucking do it.

they're fucking 30-35 years old. fucking use google you spoiled brats.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1301 on: August 07, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
You should just go, look at the thing, shake your head sadly and make clucking noises, and then tell them "Unfortunately, this is gonna take awhile."

Then go back to your office.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1302 on: August 07, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1303 on: August 08, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
:headbang:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM