Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 75711 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1320 on: September 05, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
What a strange world it's become.  Amazon has astonishingly shitty prices on cell phones, for whatever reason.  I ended up using them to showroom, rather than the other way around, and ended up ordering a new phone directly from Virgin Mobile, who were second-cheapest after random eBay weirdoes.

Bezos is worth a bajillion dollars, but Amazon's another company that's the only capstone on its pyramid despite being shitty as hell at what it does.  This is the current way -- companies get gigantic on idiot investment and buy up and crush the competitors, then compromise themselves with shit management and meandering off to sell data, etc, instead of doing what they're ostensibly in business to do.  I mean, seriously:

- PayPal
- Amazon
- eBay
- Google
- Microsoft
- Facebook

They're all totally shit at what they supposedly do, yet they crush the competition.  (I have mixed feelings about Apple because I consider Apple to be a style / lifestyle company more than a tech company, so . . . they are mostly doing what they theoretically do.)

'Tis sad.  On the other hand, I just ordered an insanely powerful multimedia pocket computer-radio for $55, including shipping, and it'll be here tomorrow.  I hope it works!

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1321 on: September 05, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
I've never had much success with Amazon pricing. :shrug:

I miss the days when I could wander around in a Kmart and find something clearance marked-down to a ridiculously low price. It's rare to find those type deals now, it used to be common. You left Walmart off the list, because it lacks the investment angle I guess, but it was really the original crush, kill, destroy model. Well, that's not really true. I guess Sears was, ironically.

So what'd ya get?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1322 on: September 05, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
LG Tribute Dynasty.  To date, I've actually had overwhelmingly good luck with LG phones over more than a decade, and I don't have any reason to think the current problem is the phone.  And they're goddamned cheap.

I didn't put Walmart on the list because although they're evil, they're actually good at what they theoretically do.  As a discount big-box retailer, they're alarmingly efficient.

You know, now that I think of it, I've never been in a Walmart that was really busy.  In my experience, a Meijer at midnight is typically about as busy as a Walmart at 6 PM. 

I'm not sure what that means, but now that I think of it . . . it seems really strange to me.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1323 on: September 06, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
While I'm waiting to complain about my new phone . . . we're now using Chrome v 68 under Windows 10 at work, and it's terrible

Seriously, it's a real dog, slow and clunky, and, you know, low-function.  There's a TON of shit that Opera was doing fifteen years ago that Chrome and Firefox have no excuse for not having copied, you know, fifteen fucking years ago.  And they still haven't.  Like a handy pop-up menu that lets you toggle the stuff you want to toggle frequently.  Or SEPARATE controls for jumping among (A) hyperlinks and (B) fields.

Seriously?  If you've used a browser that knows the difference between fields and links instead of just tabbing through both, you will always thereafter hate browsers that are too stupid.

But this version of Chrome . . . :doh:

The auto-update . . . never works right.  Lengthy auto-update process!  Then the version number hasn't changed.  Why?  Also, I don't want it to auto-update.

The History -- the goddamned History -- doesn't work right.  Start at Page A.  Go to B, go to C.  Go Back.  It won't go back past B.  Uh, I promise you, I was at A.  Chrome doesn't remember A.  :eyeroll:

The keyboard support . . . don't developers use keyboards, themselves?  Never mind the lack of good hotkeys; I often have to issue key commands multiple times before they'll trigger.  Ctrl-W.  Hey, you didn't close the tab.  CTRL-W.  Third time's the charm.  Same for Ctrl-Left and so on.  F5.  I SWEAR TO GOD, CHROME, I am pressing these keys.

They try to keep you from customizing anything, like the content-licking assholes they are, and the extensions are clunky as hell.  When I find an extension that claims to do what I want, half the time Google's like, "No, you can't have that one."  :nonplused:

No native content blocking.  Opera's had really good native content blocking since I don't even remember when.  OK, Opera sucks now . . . ever since they adopted Chrome's engine, in fact . . . but unless Google's developers are all under 20 years old or are new to the internet, that's no excuse.

Such a pain in the ass.  But the newer Firefox versions haven't been much good, either.  FF is at least promising decent things, so I guess we'll see.  But, honestly, Chrome, though never terrific, used to be a lot better than this.  :harumph:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1324 on: September 06, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »
Did you see the story about google wanting to get rid of URLs? I'm convinced there will eventually be google convertor boxes required to get online.

My version of FF expired yesterday. It's the last one to support legacy extensions. I don't even want to talk about how much I hate what google has done to browsers.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1325 on: September 09, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
I have to give credit when due. I wasn’t aware Firefox developed this First-Party Isolation feature:
Essentially, every website you visit will store data separately and isolated from every other website you visit. First-Party Isolation offers the same privacy protection within one browser as you would get if you open one website in Safari (or another web browser) and then open another website in Firefox. Network connections, caches of different types, cookies and other persistent data stores would work as normal but there is no known way for one website to save data in a way that could be read by any other website.

This is how all browsers should have worked from the beginning, in my opinion. There are downsides, of course, (this article goes into them).

From reading the comments on the article at HN, it sounds like google has already broken it by doing some kind of redirection magic, so I would assume that other sites will follow. The google bug is two years old and it appears the devs at Firefox are stumped.

Nice try though.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1326 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
This is how all browsers should have worked from the beginning, in my opinion.

Probably they did.  What I want in a browser is to be able to tell it, for instance, "Download what this URL offers, and then render the HTML, including hyperlinks, but nothing else.  Not dynamically, but from the cache after you download it.  Do not load or render anything additional without my say-so."

Some websites, yes, are things other than hypertext documents.  Honestly?  They shouldn't be -- or, rather, that should be a distinctly different category of thing.  The Amazon front page is nothing like a Wikipedia page to the same extent that an Uber car is not like a book about cars.  I know, the corporations we're dealing with want to use the computer to confuse us and lead us by the nose, but fuck them.

90% of the time when I'm online, what I want to do with the internet is download and view content, The End.  If I buy something from a catalog, the delivery person doesn't come in and look around my house.  I would not own a TV that listened in on me.  Bullshit, Mr. Han, man.

Google's full-on evil, these days.  They can't rush fast enough to suck up to Putin and whatever bad impulse the Chinese government has, and it seems like every product they make now is just Microsoft kinds of bad.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1327 on: September 10, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
It's surprising how quickly public perception of google changed. I used to feel like a conspiracy theorist when I spoke of them in a negative light. Most people would rush to their defense, but that's changed.

I've read you can't find a non-smart-tv. Simple monitors are no longer available to consumers. I dunno. Maybe the time will come where you need to take your brand new TV to the underground repair shop to get them to remove the camera and junk.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1328 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »
I think it's the real reason why really big TVs suddenly became cheaper than comparable computer monitors that don't have the DRM stuff.

I can still more easily afford a monitor that's as big as I'd want a TV, and the monitor still more easily shows me content I actually want to see.  I actually like television programming, taken as a whole, but I haven't used or bought a TV in several years.  I'm not sure why I'd buy one.  If I wanted to watch a really big picture, projectors are insanely cheap now, and, you know, much smaller.

But, I mean, my tastes are peculiar.  I can't imagine the day when my main computer won't have a real keyboard, and the trends in pocket computers make me think phones that cost over a hundred bucks are still pretty dumb.  But I think a built-in nav system in a car is dumb.  Nav systems are great, but I figure a decent car lasts 3-5 times longer than the upgrade cycle of a nav system, so, uh, you know. 

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #1329 on: September 14, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1330 on: September 15, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
XKCD no longer loads in my browser of choice :lol:, but it worked in Chrome.  :nonplused:

It's often the integration that's a mistake.  Often a colossal, fundamental error.  People make fun of the microwave oven that has an internet browser built in but fail to notice how their browser is doing the same kind of thing the other way around.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1331 on: September 15, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »
I started to mention Acrobat earlier in the conversation, but I thought it was getting off-topic. I guess it wasn't.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1332 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
My last two LG phones had the LG emoji set, which was . . . look, emojis are generally pretty stupid, poorly chosen, and awkward to use.  I frequently see them used online in ways where I have no idea WTF the person was trying to communicate, but it probably wasn't what I seem to be receiving.

That said.  My new phone came with the Google emojis, which I had never seen before.  And now it's like my phone is puking on me constantly.  Even when it's turned off.

I am thus on a mission to get the LG emojis onto this phone without having to root it.

It'd also be nice if, like with my first phone, I could use the zoom function (which is SET TO 'ALWAYS LET ME ZOOM', FFS) in SMS, because I can't fucking see what half those emojis are supposed to be.

For that matter, although the zoom function setting I chose is explicitly supposed to keep web pages from overriding my ability to zoom, it in fact frequently does not stop them.  WHY any website would even have the OPTION of overriding user display options is beyond me, and I can only assume it's a combination of desperate stupidity and fundamental lack of character on the part of the developers.

But, seriously, those Google emojis.  I feel now like what I paid for the phone and what I'm paying to have SMS service constitutes fraud.  I NEVER AGREED TO THIS.

/old man yells at Google Cloud

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1333 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
Seriously, the smileys for this message board?  THOUSANDS of times better than any emoji set I've ever seen.  So much more useful, expressive, clear, and pleasing.

Seriously.  It's like people set out to make emoji and said, "You know, there's a huge and varied tradition of emoticons and smileys and all sorts of things.  Let's not do almost anything that's been popular, even though that would be super-easy.  If we do that, they might not hire as many of us."

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1334 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
I use them probably more than I should here, and I practically never use them anywhere else.

There's a big problem with standardization and crossing platforms. Often I just see a box outline with numbers in it. Or as you say, the emoji makes the message more confusing than clarifying, as was their original intent(?)

I've got a ridiculous amount on macOS
. I can't imagine someone going through all that to find anything.

Only when they are thrown up as suggestions on SMS am I tempted to used them, but that's on my Windows phone, which I know is probably incompatible with anyone receiving, so I never use them.