Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 81175 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1425 on: January 06, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
It also occurred to me that there are some cracks occurring in Ray's carefully maintained bumbling incompetent verging-on-bankrupt facade. You'd better not let him guess that you're on to him, or you may turn around to find him pointing a Luger at you in a very steady hand, and with an icy voice you haven't heard before and a slight German accent, he'll say "So. You have discovered that not all is as it seems. How unfortunate for you, Mr. Axe ... or should I say Double-O Nine?"
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1426 on: January 07, 2020, 11:22:07 AM »
His aim is probably terrible, so I should warn people not to stand near me.

Last night he texted me to say he was "trying to compute" but had two cords left over.  He said the monitor wasn't showing anything, and he didn't think the mouse was working.

He sent me two photos.  One was a DC plug and the other was a blurry picture of part of a transformer brick.  He doesn't have a laptop, and it was too big to be powering any external speakers he realistically might have, so . . . the modem?

The monitor was probably turned off.  Over at the other shop, they OFTEN contact me with computer problems that boil down to (A) something is turned off or (B) something is unplugged.  Shit gets unplugged so often and randomly that we blame poltergeists.

His old machine had nothing on the Desktop except the default icons and the MS OneDrive link, plus the HP Dock thing that is, for some reason, only 1% as good as the Windows 3 HP Dashboard.  Impressively, he'd installed Malwarebytes, Avast, CCleaner, and a dozen toolbars . . . without adding a single desktop icon.  He even still had the default Compaq wallpaper up.

I can't explain that.  He usually covers the Desktop in documents and random crap.  :shrug:

In other I Guess I'm Old news, one of my clerks who was trying to help expressed astonishment that we had computers that had hard drives.  He's never owned a PC or laptop that didn't have an SSD.  I've never owned a machine that did have an SSD.

I went to Banggood and looked at external SSDs, like giant flash drives, that were less than a dollar a gigabyte.  :nonplused:  But my home machine is a laptop (sadly, dying now, an old ThinkPad), and it's not like I'm going to retrofit its drive.  Still, I guess my next laptop will have an SSD.

Actually, the ChromeBook I have must have an SSD.  Not a big one.  That thing is basically a big phone with a keyboard.  It's . . . OK, but I could have gotten a used laptop for the same money, and it would've done the same things plus 500 other things.  :shrug:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1427 on: January 10, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
I vote for the facade.  The gas station food sealed that for me.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1428 on: January 17, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
I've been dealing with a lot of recent HP printers lately, and, I gotta say . . . at least fifty percent of them seem to be utter crap.  Never mind the insane ink prices, bad design, evil subscription plans (which so far I've been able to opt out of).  If I'm counting right, I've had to deal with . . . six new ones in the last couple of years (mostly various Envy series models), and half of them have not been worth taking out of the box.

I was a HUGE HP printer fan for decades, not that that makes me unusual, but now I couldn't recommend one to anyone I don't hate.  It's a total crapshoot.  And their customer service is a joke, now.  We had a problem with an Envy 5055 today, and we were directed to the online helpbot thing.  It's super-clunky and weirdly slow, but early on it wants to know what kind of printer you have.  Which is fair.  But you can only choose a model from its list -- and it's not aware of the Envy series.  The most common kind HP currently sells.

We tried several different times to get it to cough up an Envy model in its list, and finally we got something . . . weird, but it was apparently related . . . and so we chose that.  By clicking on its name.  On the list of model names that the bot gave us.

And then the bot told us there was no such printer model.

:nonplused:

Hey, HP?

:brick:

:gfy:

pdrake

« Reply #1429 on: January 17, 2020, 08:29:39 PM »
Our whole office is HP and they all seem to be pretty solid. The only inkjets are the 60" roll printers and the 8' flat bed printer. The rest are laser printers.

we have a few Xerox big copy/print/fax machines (big floor standing models) that are utter garbage. constantly breaking down and the windows print drivers were written by drunk (superfluous) Russians on their 80th hour of work for the week.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1430 on: January 18, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I would LOVE to have a laser printer again, although I almost never print anything at home.  But a color laser printer is expensive, and seems like everyone needs color now and then.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1431 on: February 01, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »
I am astonished almost every day by how bad a lot of font display is in Windows 10.  I have to use three different Windows 10 machines, and none of them consistently display fonts properly.  Chrome manages it, but Windows menus sometimes garble them, and things like word processors consistently fail to display a lot of fonts cleanly.  Like Times Farkin' Roman, for instance.

The new Wordpad consistently does this thing like it's trying to right-justify as you type, even with justification turned off.  It's the most obnoxious thing, constantly rekerning the text as you add words.  WTF?

It's just so Microsoft.  More chrome, bells, and whistles, but the basic shit is worse than the last version.

pdrake

« Reply #1432 on: February 01, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
It's such garbage I can't believe people put up with it. I can't even get the same fonts to be consistent through Adobe applications on windows machines. I'm going back to Macs now that the new power macs are out.

you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1433 on: February 01, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
It's just crazy.

Have they ever heard of WYSIWYG?

The other day, I spent like forty minutes determined to get font substitutions for screen display to work, and googling and re-googling it, and . . . I don't think anything I did had any effect.  It's just crazy. 

I really, really miss XP.  And not just because the desktop and File Explorer were also much better.  And the calculator and Paint.  And because it ran faster on computers with 1/64th the power and drive space and RAM.

Of course, I also miss Opera from before it was just Chrome wearing a mask.  :eyeroll:

Firefox has become much more tolerable under Linux since I learned how to force the system to run multiple instances.  It still tends to crash at least once a day if I have more than about three windows or twelve total tabs open, especially if JavaScript is enabled anywhere.  And it has shit for session management, so you just have to restart it and hope it remembers your tabs.  It usually does, but . . . usually is not world-class.  Sometimes I have to log out entirely and log back in, which is basically like turning the machine off and on again, in order to get it to restart properly.

Now I run two instances, one with JS and one without, and when the few JS tabs I need crash that browser, the other one keeps working.  Mint sometimes gets confused when I try to start a second instance, but it does pretty well.

Firefox still isn't great, but it's better than Chrome.  So there's that.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1434 on: February 12, 2020, 04:33:39 PM »
SO my excellent cheapo cell plan from Virgin Mobile is no more.  They transferred it (and many others) to Boost Mobile, for unspecified reasons.  They promise it's all the same.  Immediately, I got a notice I was over my data limit and would be throttled.  In the past, this slowed my data throughput, yes, no question, but it wasn't a big deal.  Now, it means almost no data gets through before Chrome gives up.  :nonplused:

On the other hand, Boost Mobile just charged me for next month, and they didn't charge me taxes.  Surely that's . . . wrong?  BUT it's a 10% error in my favor!

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1435 on: February 12, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »
At the house, for home internet, we currently have no good options (still, despite living in a modern town and all), and so we have:

(A)  A hotspot option on tangerine's Verizon account.  Which means I have an internet connection there if she's home and I'm home and she has it turned on.  She usually doesn't leave it turned on, and I wouldn't either.  :shrug:

(B)  A Verizon Jetpack, which . . . they don't want to come out and admit it, but it's a wireless router that uses a cell phone plan.  That's what it is.  It connects to the cell network, and you connect to it by WiFi, and there you go.  It's like the size of a deck of cards, and it's really pretty neat.

Except the fuckin' thing doesn't work.  It disconnects your WiFi connection roughly every ten seconds.  :eyeroll:  FFS.  I've tried googling the problem, and what you mostly find is thousands of people complaining their Jetpack disconnects from the cell network constantly.  :nonplused:

So the search goes on.  Lightspeed was expanding into our area, slowly but steadily, but of course they got bought out.