Author Topic: Endless Complaining  (Read 81832 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Endless Complaining
« Reply #1440 on: February 27, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
Chrome is atrocious, but Firefox . . . well, extensions are almost as much a hot disaster as they are in Chrome, but . . . Firefox loves to do the thing of Surprise, The Application Updated, And Now It's Going To Close And Restart!

That is not OK.  That has never been OK.  It's not just an annoyance.  It's full-on forbidden.

I honestly cannot understand how a major piece of software can be released with that kind of behavior.  My car doesn't get to decide on its own that any random time is a good time to shut off the engine and restart it in a few minutes.  And that's because that would be moronic.

I'm sure there's some setting somewhere that I can use to force this behavior to stop, hopefully without making updates hard to accomplish.  I hope there's a setting.  Otherwise I'll have to manually block updates and remember to occasionally allow the browser to access the update URL.  But there shouldn't be any default of allowing such an offense in the first place.

Still better than Chrome, but FFS.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1441 on: February 27, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »
I've got used to Chrome at work because a couple of our SaaS applications bork on Firefox.  I use Brave though on my home devices, but at work they won't let us use Brave.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1442 on: February 28, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
Heh. MacOS doesn't allow that. Firefox begs to be restarted, you can say no.
In Windows, any old-ass application can demand you reboot the whole damn system and make it stick.
That's just f'in heeelarious
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1443 on: February 29, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »
I admit, I don't know jack shit about how to game Windows 10, and I don't have the patience to learn.  XP was at least engaging.  :shrug:

Over at the other shop, Windows 10 keeps playing weird games.  Various apps keep losing their stay-logged-in status, and the saved passwords get erased.  That sure FEELS like malware bullshit of some kind, but the Windows security and Avast and Malwarebytes all say nothing weird is happening.  (It doesn't help that they can't keep their own record of their passwords, over there, but that, at least, is not Windows' fault.)

Additionally, Chrome and Edge keep returning error messages at random intervals saying they can't find IP addresses.  For an entire day, they couldn't access Gmail.  Google's search page, yes, but Gmail, no.  No IP address, sucka.  Same for Edge.  So I dragged my ass over to at least take a look.

I noticed right off the bat that a live tile, or whatever they call it, in the so-called Start Menu, is rolling over automatically and displaying the subject lines of new Gmail emails.

So, uh . . . Windows can see the Gmail account.  The browsers just can't.  :eyeroll:

I don't get paid enough to deal with this shit.  I googled it steadily for like half an hour, and we rebooted the thing and the router and yadda yadda until we were sick of doing that.  And it started working again, but not in that way where you think you have any idea what it was you did that fixed it.

Still happens occasionally.  ISP has no idea and blames Windows, which, I mean, is a safe dodge, anyway.  Microsoft's support, such as, is convinced it's a WiFi problem, because apparently a lot of people have this problem if they're using WiFi with Windows 10.  But we're on an ethernet cable.

Eh.  Fuck it.  That's my feeling.  Maybe I'll install Mint.  It makes a few things annoying, although Windows File Explorer is almost as bad, now, as the Mint file browser, but it's still a lot less annoying.  And most of what they do is through the browser now, like everyone.  Except the program they use to list books online.  :nonplused:  And I've NEVER gotten the Windows Emulator (WINE) to work properly under Mint, so I dunno.

Meh.

pdrake

« Reply #1444 on: February 29, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1445 on: March 01, 2020, 01:33:19 PM »
:lol: :nonplused:

:eyeroll:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1446 on: March 04, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »
:galm:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1447 on: March 05, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
OK, so:

Archives and Curious have the same AT&T U-verse internet-and-phones misery service.  We've mostly got it manageable after I was eventually able to convince AT&T to drop about $250 a month of unnecessary add-ons that their sales guy convinced my boss we needed.  :eyeroll:

Archives often has its phone go out, and its internet typically disconnects for at least a few minutes about every 15-20 minutes.  Sometimes it's out for an hour.  Rebooting the router usually fixes it, but it's what you'd call a pain in the ass.  Getting an AT&T tech to come look at it is usually a 2-3 day affair, and usually they declare there's nothing wrong and it must be the scapegoat of your choice.

But.  Archives' setup includes an extra piece of hardware, a gray box almost the size of the router, which sits between the router and the computer.  AT&T techs have always refused to reveal exactly what it is and what it does.  I googled its serial number once, and, yeah, the internet said it was a gateway.  But Archives doesn't do anything Curious does, so why the extra hardware?

Today, the clerk there was fed up and just unplugged the gray box's transformer.  And the DSL immediately started working again.  Phone works, too.  Mind you, the Ethernet still goes through the gray box on its way to the standard U-verse Pace router, but apparently it doesn't care if the gray box is shut down.

:shrug:

It's been two hours, and no problems.  SO I guess we leave it unplugged until something comes up.  :nonplused:

pdrake

« Reply #1448 on: March 05, 2020, 10:09:53 PM »
Got my mac pro today. First thing I did was turn off auto update.  ;)

Now to relearn macOS and get re-used to the hot keys.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1449 on: March 06, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »
:shamrock: :thumbsup:

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1450 on: March 28, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
SO my phone updated.  :eyeroll:

Here are the things now broken:

- Google Play Services has turned from an irritation into a total ass.  Now, unless I have every single permission turned on (yes, including Body Motion Sensors), it stops my messaging app from working and randomly reboots the phone.  It helpfully removed my ability to disable it, too, so I can't stop it from being an ass 24/7 and letting Google spy on me.  I'll have to get those Colorform stickers that go over the cameras, etc, etc, fucking fuck.  Phone's basically a piece of shit, now.

- The Messaging system is really weird in small ways I can ignore, except that I can no longer send Group Chat messages.  We use Group Chat for work, and also my family uses it for family updates, which are more common of late.  But I can't reply now unless I reply to people separately.  FFS.  Also, I still have only an impoverished subset of the melted-gumdrops emojis.  :eyeroll:

- Chrome updated to v. 80.0.398blahblahblah.  And it is ass.  Oh my sweet leaping CHRIST is it bad. 

- The look and feel went off a cliff.  Using it feels like a crime against good taste.

- It closes tabs sometimes for no apparent reason (and they don't always appear in the Recently Closed list, you can't just reopen them, not that the reopen-tab function ever worked well).

- Memory use is way up.

- It's frequently way too slow, much slower than before.  I tend to think this is connected to the memory use.

- It doesn't display URLs well anymore.  I mean, you can see part of the URL, but it's now a two-extra-steps pain in the ass to see the whole thing, or copy it, or edit it.  God, they hate the user to have any input control.

- Used to be, if you 'clicked' on a link and held your finger down, you'd get a pop-up that showed the link URL and options like Open In A New Tab.  Now you get a smaller pop-up (But fancier! Hurrah!) that shows you only 18 characters of the URL.  Which . . . is not better.  And so, for instance, if you're at, say, Reddit or Fark or any other site that redirects, you won't see the actual URL the link wants to send you to, just the redirect prefix.  So you gotta just click and wait to see where you're being sent.  Ha ha!  No.

So I haven't followed links from aggregator sites since it 'upgraded'.  Thanks, Google, you schmucks.

There's a bunch of other shit, but I forget what.  Money is tight, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a second phone to try jailbreaking it, to see if I can run a Google-free rig instead.  I just hate those useless fuckers.  And they used to be great!  Just makes it even more irritating.

Seriously, though.  This new Chrome is so bad.  So bad I'd try Edge.  THAT'S HOW BAD IT IS.  Although I'll probably use Firefox instead, even if it's not great.  It's better than this.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1451 on: Yesterday at 10:37:38 AM »
OMFG.  Even in the takes-too-many-steps-to-get-there URL-editing mode, the fancy curved-bubble text field (what, they just noticed that Apple switched to its Aqua design style in 2000, FFS) obscures both ends of the text.

So if you want to edit a URL, you often can't see the end of it, just for instance.

Jesus Whale-Humping Christ.  The level of incompetence, here.  The unaware self-satire of putting shit esthetics ahead of functionality.  It's breathtaking.  It's a joke.  It's like a corduroy diving suit with suede patches.