Author Topic: Science, Bitches!  (Read 6811 times)

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: Science, Bitches!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
This (enlinked PDF article) makes me unreasonably happy.

One of my first publications was in the Journal of Irreproducible Results so it's kind of awesome to me.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
That's my cousin, yo baby'smomma
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
:galm:  Brilliant.  I fbooked it.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
Mark Bittman, cookbook writer, LAYS SOME SCIENCE DOWN.

Goddamn Cargill-funded bullshit study. Utter bullshit, but made every media spigot imaginable. I'm so angry I could just freaking spit.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
:lol:

I actually didn't bother reading those stories about that study.  I just assumed they meant 'foods sold as Organic' rather than any strict standard of 'organic'.  I mean, one of the hallmarks of organic agriculture is its diversity of species, cultivation, etc, so it would be a much bigger pain to test, and supermarkets and agribusinesses latched onto 'organic' as a convenient marketing tool, so often what's sold as 'organic' is not what consumers think they're getting anyhow.

The GMO thing is a whole other thing that pisses me off.  But never mind.

On the other hand, nitpicking:

By which standard you can claim that, based on nutrients, Frosted Flakes are a better choice than an apple.

But they’re not.

Well, they are.  You can survive possibly indefinitely on Frosted Flakes and water, but probably not very long on apples and water.  God forbid anyone should adopt either diet, but, based on nutrients, Frosted Flakes are certainly better for you than apples if that's all you're considering.

mybabysmomma

• and a shark shall eat them
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
I grew up eating practically nothing but cereal, bread w/ butter or peanut butter and green beans.  I turned out ok. :uncertain:
I need this done ASAP, or whenever you can get around to it.  Tomorrow is fine.

Axe, he hates EVERYTHING

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
Actually, my health took a distinct dive after I went to college, and I suspect the disappearance of breakfast cereal was a major factor.  Two bowls or more of a typical US fortified cereal makes Flintstones Chewables look like Skittles.  Especially since a typical bowl is more than one serving.  It's not a complete formulation or optimal for absorption, but it really isn't bad.

Frosted Flakes is too high in sugar, of course, but it could be worse.  Actually, a lot of sugary cereals are worse.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
You're like a character from a science fiction novel. Welp, time to eat our nutrition pills to serve our needs for the next month ... !

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »
:lol:  The Army makes those pills, and you have to eat a bunch of them, and I hear they're pretty gross.  And that you still feel hungry.

My main problem, really, was that (A) I've always lived on starches, and (B) I became lactose intolerant at the end of my teens, and (C) a lot of 'healthy' foods are stuff I can't stand or can't digest.

Eventually I did start taking supplements, which may have helped somewhat.  Niacin supplements had a distinct mood-settling effect, but they're commonly available only in idiotic dosages, and the 'flush' side effect was obnoxious.  General multivitamins have stupid formulations.  I was getting so little sleep this summer that I went back to adding iodized salt to my diet (I almost never put salt on anything; I'm quite sensitive to saltiness), and honestly I feel stupid now at how much more easily I get to sleep.

:shrug:

Lots of people have worse problems.  My younger brother is diabetic.  If I were diabetic, I'd have a hell of a time eating.  I don't know what I'd do, but it wouldn't be pleasant for anyone.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Mark Bittman, cookbook writer, LAYS SOME SCIENCE DOWN.

Goddamn Cargill-funded bullshit study. Utter bullshit, but made every media spigot imaginable. I'm so angry I could just freaking spit.

Cargill-funded? I didn't read the individual studies but the Stanford one was a meta-analysis, and the authors reported no conflicts of interest, and they all work at either Stanford, some medical library, or the Palo Alto VA. I'm not saying their conclusions are right but the Bittman article in a way discounts meta-analyses in general, which is kind of a flawed conclusion in itself.

If I had more time I'd read it a bit more thoroughly...

edit--- ok I see the Cargill reference in Bittman's article, but none of the authors work for that Center on Food Security and the Environment at Stanford.  :confused:

Hey axe, have you looked into the slow-release niacin supplements? They reportedly help with the flushing issue, as does taking them with food. You need like a couple grams of the stuff every day for it to make a difference for cholesterol (see the prescription drug Niaspan), but if you're interested in just taking OTC supplements, those are some things you can do to lessen the side effects...

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
I only ever bought stuff available at places like Meijer, etc.  I saw slow-release tablets online once, but they were expensive, and I never followed up on it.  :lol:  :eyeroll:

I wasn't taking it for cholesterol, though, but for psychiatric effects.

eldiem

• Trusted
  • It really is, you know
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
The key with any sort of thing that gives you an annoying (but not dangerous) side effect is "start low, go slow" -- start at a low dose, titrate up as tolerated. So you could just split some tablets, or get the 100 mg ones and just take one a day with a meal for a week, then up it to two times a day, etc until you feel a benefit.

I saw some slow-niacin on amazon for like $7-15, if that's a reasonable amount....

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:12:47 AM »
Yeah, I should try again.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »